Job Advice

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hey everybody
As alot of you know I have been offered a job with Servisair as a Passenger Service Agent and I was due to start on Monday week which has been changed to accomidate my exams.

However Ive just got off the phone with Aer Lingus who have also offered me a job.

Both contracts are temporary but everyone starts as a temp.

So what would you do.

Handling agent or airline??

Id like to hear what you think are the pros and cons.

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

What exactly would the work entail for Aer Lingus? Passenger Services again?

Have to say i work for a handling agent as a PSA and absolutely love it :cool:

Member for

20 years 2 months

Ye the same work for EI. Who do you work for Monty?? and at what airport???

Member for

21 years

Interesting choice. In a general sense I would have regarded a handling agent as inferior to a mainline airline. However the way the industry has changed in the last decade has reversed that rather simplistic view.

Handling agents are now similar in size to some airlines, and the job security etc remains. Coupled with the fact that Aer Lingus is now in effect a LoCo, AND with a thought to be messy privatisation up ahead, joining them might not be as attractive as it once was.

For me it would be quite a tight contest, and I guess it is for you now as you are asking the question:D

Member for

19 years 5 months

What job has the better pay and conditions?

Member for

20 years 2 months

EI has better pay and conditions are equal. Im thinking ahead for the winter who is most likely to keep me on.

Member for

19 years 5 months

How much of Aer Lingus's work is seasonal and how much is year round?

Member for

20 years 2 months

The way I see it is Aer Lingus own their own aircraft and operate them from DUB year round where as Servisiar dont operate their own aircraft and only get what other airlines send them. They handle Futura who dont even fly into DUB in the winter except for peak times like Christmas.
However that said I have been told that Servisair do keep some of thier better staff on for the winter but Aer Lingus have never hired temp staff before so no one knows if they will keep anybody on.

Member for

19 years 11 months

if i was you i would go with the handling agent, as said they handle meny airlines so you get variety not just the norm eire-uk flights

Member for

20 years 6 months

You also have to think about the Stability of Aer Lingus.
Are they going to go flat and leave you jobless anytime soon?

The handling agents are a little less suseptible to an airline going bust as they deal with several. So you'd be much more likely to survive a potentions EI bankruptcy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

For what its worth, I personally would go with Aer Lingus given the choice.

If you think about it, Servisair are always busier in the Summer due to demand from extra charter flights. These charter flights will be far less frequent in the winter, therefore they need less staff. Fair enough they might handle the odd scheduled airline too, however, there are always a handful of old-timers at Servisair who'll be trained on scheduled check-in and they're probably permanent with Servisair by now. The summer temps at Servisair only usually get to do charter check-in. Scheduled is a bit more prestige for the permanent staff you see. This is how it was a BHX when I was there anyway.

As for Aer Lingus, at least being scheduled there operations should be more consistant year round and hopefully you'll be as experienced as the permanent staff. If you've done a good job, there should be no reason, subject to head count, why they don't keep you on. Hopefully they won't be ditching heaps of flights in the winter too.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Member for

20 years 6 months

For what its worth, I personally would go with Aer Lingus given the choice.

If you think about it, Servisair are always busier in the Summer due to demand from extra charter flights. These charter flights will be far less frequent in the winter, therefore they need less staff. Fair enough they might handle the odd scheduled airline too, however, there are always a handful of old-timers at Servisair who'll be trained on scheduled check-in and they're probably permanent with Servisair by now. The summer temps at Servisair only usually get to do charter check-in. Scheduled is a bit more prestige for the permanent staff you see. This is how it was a BHX when I was there anyway.

As for Aer Lingus, at least being scheduled there operations should be more consistant year round and hopefully you'll be as experienced as the permanent staff. If you've done a good job, there should be no reason, subject to head count, why they don't keep you on. Hopefully they won't be ditching heaps of flights in the winter too.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Servisair don't hire and fire depending on seasons mate ;)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Id too go with Aer Lingus as i have worked for BA and AF but AF was with Serviceair/Globeground and to be honest you would be employed by an agency and you will not get the perks that you would get with Aer Lingus IMHO,but its your call at the end of the day.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Bmused Servisair do hire and fire depending on season at least here in Dublin.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Ye the same work for EI. Who do you work for Monty?? and at what airport???

Aviance at BFS.

Id go for the handling agent basically because im biased :D This is my third summer here. Been kept on for winter work too basically because we are busy all year round with other airlines and not as dependant on charter work.

There is a greater variety working for a handling agent like Servisair and yes they do seem to keep on a few summer staff for the winter. Just need to make a good impression

Member for

21 years 1 month

I'd go for the airline job.. assuming it turns in to a perm. job, would have thourght more oportunities to move in to another area once you've had enough of dealing with pax.. ;)
Neil

Member for

24 years 3 months

Servisair don't hire and fire depending on seasons mate ;)

If that were true Sandy, why would they only recruit on Temporary Summer Contracts???

I think you'll find they do increase their headcount in the Summer, when they're busier, as they did when I worked for them and as they still do.

;)