Possible New Route GLA to London City (EGLC)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Apologies if this has been covered here before but London City Airport have indicated that flights to Glasgow are expected to begin later this year.

Euromanx may be the interested airline. Anyone interested in using the route can fill in a questionnaire designed to gauge popularity and level of service required at the London City Airport web site here:www.londoncityairport.com

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

Has anyone else heard anything of this is it true or just rumour?

Member for

21 years

LCY do loads of surveys for all sorts of places, most of them have not yet come about. The only one that ever came about was Leeds, and that was asked within a few months :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 6 months

hmm, my post here seems to have disapeared.

I asked, hasn't a GLA-LCY service been tried before but failed in some way or got pulled?

Member for

21 years

Yes, several operators have tried it, the most recent being BA with the ARJ.

Member for

20 years 1 month

hmm, my post here seems to have disapeared.

I asked, hasn't a GLA-LCY service been tried before but failed in some way or got pulled?

On more than one occasion I think it has been tried?

Member for

19 years 6 months

It didnt preform badly for BA, they said they could use the a/c to better use ells where.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yes, several operators have tried it, the most recent being BA with the ARJ.

interesting, any info why it stopped?

Member for

20 years

Welcome back, EK.

What type did BA use?

Member for

19 years 6 months

Welcome back, EK.

What type did BA use?

Cheers Grey area.

Think it was a bae 146 or something simmilar? 3daily.

Member for

19 years 8 months

interesting, any info why it stopped?

BAW apparently signed a deal with a Scottish bank in Edinburgh for x amount of seats per flight from/to EDI, a no lose situation for BAW as I believe they get paid even if the seat is unoccupied?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Both BA and Scot Airways (Suckling) have attempted to run the route from GLA. I guess it's more suited to the EDI market, it being a corporate route.

It would need to to run as a lo-co operation to be a success from GLA in my opinion. Purely because of the types of market and the alternatives to London already available from Glasgow.

Member for

21 years

Both BA and Scot Airways (Suckling) have attempted to run the route from GLA. I guess it's more suited to the EDI market, it being a corporate route.

It would need to to run as a lo-co operation to be a success from GLA in my opinion. Purely because of the types of market and the alternatives to London already available from Glasgow.

Only problem being LoCo is nigh on impossible from LCY due to the exorbitant costs charged by the airport.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Yep, the same survey was done for the LBA-LCY which had also been operated before, and once again failed.

The amount of advertising for this route was pathetic, you need good advertising, thats why the Air Southwest LBA-BRS-NQY, has been such a terrific success thus far.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Only problem being LoCo is nigh on impossible from LCY due to the exorbitant costs charged by the airport.

Which is exactly why the previous attempts have failed. Good luck to the new one though.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yep, the same survey was done for the LBA-LCY which had also been operated before, and once again failed.

The amount of advertising for this route was pathetic, you need good advertising, thats why the Air Southwest LBA-BRS-NQY, has been such a terrific success thus far.

Well to be fair, if the demand isn't there, even the best advertisement won't help ;)

Member for

20 years 11 months

Im not saying that Sandy, but you need good advertising.

The demand must have been there for them to start it after running the survey, obviously not enough of them found out it happened.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Im not saying that Sandy, but you need good advertising.

The demand must have been there for them to start it after running the survey, obviously not enough of them found out it happened.

No no, you missed my point. Forget that route you spoke about for a moment.
I was speaking in general terms.

If you want to operate any kind of route you need good advertisement, as you correctly identified, AND also good demand.
The route won't work without one of them.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I know...... Geez..

Member for

19 years 6 months

I think there is demand for a 3daily GLA-LCY service just need the right amound of advertising.

Member for

20 years 6 months

With all due respect, thats flying in the face of what everyone else is saying here and whats happened in the past.
Glasgow, is not the business gateway Edinburgh is. ( I mean the cities now, not the airports). LCY is predominantly a business airport. On top of that Edinburgh is a large financial center. Something Glasgow lacks.

Based on the premise that 95% of all flights in and out of LCY are business related, I see no scope for more than 1 GLA-LCY flight a day perhaps.... if at all.