Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shannon

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wannabe pilot
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2003
    • 3652

    Shannon

    Just calling anyone that has been to Shannon in recent times to answer a question or two. I am looking to go across for a day trip with Mark L pretty much for the sake of it (17.82 return including taxes on Ryanair) next month. The price is petty cash really so it's almost worth it just to spend a couple of hours in the air. I know it's quiet, but would it be worth it anyway for a small bit of spotting?

    And does anyone know of any good places to spot, or anywhere where it's possible to get close to the action?

    Thanks..
  • wannabe pilot
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2003
    • 3652

    #2
    And just to add that if people can get a cheap flight and fancy a day out, then you're welcome to join us. Proposed date is Thursday June 2nd.

    Comment

    • robbelc
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2003
      • 696

      #3
      I was just browising for some summer spotting day trips and thought of SNN. Went there yonks ago by road. Not a massive terminal and most things could be seen from the sides of the terminal. Some interesting stored 707's, An26 etc but all long gone. Does EIN still operate all their A330 flights through there? Think Delta operate 767 as well?

      Comment

      • SHAMROCK321
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2004
        • 2544

        #4
        On June 2nd you are going to see quite alot of movement in the morning. Alot of EI A330s, Delata will be a 777 then,CO 757,US and AC 763s. There is alot of US Army movements through SNN so you may be asked to swiftly move on. After the Transatlantic rush you wont see much only Ryanair and the very rare EI Airbus going to LHR. SNN can be very interesting if your really lucky. ORK may be better.

        Comment

        • LBARULES
          Pointless flightaholic!
          • May 2003
          • 9820

          #5
          Sounds like a good day to visit! If I were you Dan, I would do a search of threads started by Ren Frew, and look at his PIK-SNN-PIK trip report, that report contained many shots from Shannon.

          I am eyeing myself up a daytrip to DUB on the 6th of July with Ryanair from LBA, with a bit of luck I can get it booked

          Comment

          • Ren Frew
            Taxi Rank User
            • Jan 2000
            • 11826

            #6
            Originally posted by LBARULES
            Sounds like a good day to visit! If I were you Dan, I would do a search of threads started by Ren Frew, and look at his PIK-SNN-PIK trip report, that report contained many shots from Shannon.
            You mean this one...

            http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...hlight=Shannon
            Go n-ithe an cat th, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

            Comment

            • wannabe pilot
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jul 2003
              • 3652

              #7
              Originally posted by SHAMROCK321
              On June 2nd you are going to see quite alot of movement in the morning. Alot of EI A330s, Delata will be a 777 then,CO 757,US and AC 763s. There is alot of US Army movements through SNN so you may be asked to swiftly move on. After the Transatlantic rush you wont see much only Ryanair and the very rare EI Airbus going to LHR. SNN can be very interesting if your really lucky. ORK may be better.
              Someone on another forum mentioned something about a 'car park next to the Lufthansa Technik hangar' which was supposedly good for spotting, and ok with security?

              Do you know when the transatlantic rush of flights is usually over with? Because the FR flight from STN is fairly late morning, doesn't arrive in SNN til 10:15.

              Thanks LBA, I'll dig that up now.

              Comment

              • LBARULES
                Pointless flightaholic!
                • May 2003
                • 9820

                #8
                Thats the one

                Comment

                • Ren Frew
                  Taxi Rank User
                  • Jan 2000
                  • 11826

                  #9
                  Originally posted by wannabe pilot
                  Do you know when the transatlantic rush of flights is usually over with? Because the FR flight from STN is fairly late morning, doesn't arrive in SNN til 10:15.
                  Well there were still quite a few US departures to see when I got there about 1pm for my half three flight to PIK, as you'll see in my trip report. US Airways, Air Transat, North American, Aer Lingus etc...
                  Go n-ithe an cat th, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

                  Comment

                  • wannabe pilot
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jul 2003
                    • 3652

                    #10
                    Just looking at the report now Allen, refreshing my memory since I last read it. Looks like it should be worth it for a day out. I mean, 17.82 for 2 flights and a days spotting wherever is good enough for me! And I think if you're careful enough to avoid reflections with that glass and then use a bit of post-editing, it should be possible for some nice shots. I've seen some on a.net which I gather are taken from the same spot.

                    Comment

                    • wannabe pilot
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3652

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Matthew Murray
                      I was just lookingat flights, and the times are backwards? The only outbound flight to SNN arrives after the only inbound flight to PIK that day. Unfortunately, unless anyone can find a cheap and convienant flight from GLA/PIK/EDI to SNN? Obviously I checked Expedia/Ryanair...

                      I would also be interested in a small trip to DUB? If that would be an alternative?
                      I would head over to DUB again, but I was there in December and thought I'd try and go somewhere slightly different (although SNN hardly is). But the DUB flights were about an extra 10 more than SNN. This isn't much, but in my current financial situation if I spend that extra 10 I'm too close to the bottom of my account for comfort.

                      Comment

                      • SHAMROCK321
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 2544

                        #12
                        I might get lucky and have an early shift that day and would have the misfortune of taking an A330 to meet up.

                        Comment

                        • andrewm
                          Rank 2 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000
                          • 4456

                          #13
                          mmm me thinks i shall be there for the "FUN" of the 10 hour round trip drive wooo hoo!! Ill confirm with Mark and Dan on msn shortly.
                          Regards, Andrew

                          Comment

                          • andrewm
                            Rank 2 Registered User
                            • Jan 2000
                            • 4456

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Matthew Murray
                            I don't understand those flight times from PIK to SNN.
                            Aircraft is SNN based or at least is operating SNN-PIK-SNN
                            Regards, Andrew

                            Comment

                            • RIPConcorde
                              EGPH
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3192

                              #15
                              it's Clio/Corsa drivers
                              D'oh! I take great offence. I must be the exception I guess? lol

                              Comment

                              • bmi-star
                                EGOV local
                                • Feb 2004
                                • 4366

                                #16
                                Sadly RYR only do daily rotations from LPL to SNN, so thats me out of it
                                Regards, Elgan

                                Comment

                                • Future Pilot
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jul 2003
                                  • 3469

                                  #17
                                  I would of went with Flybe from BHX but they only do a daily rotation.
                                  Last edited by Future Pilot; 19th April 2005, 10:36.
                                  sigpic
                                  May 09
                                  NW781 - LHR-DTW - B767-400
                                  NW427 - DTW-DCA - A319-100
                                  NW205 - DCA-MSP - B757-200
                                  NW104 - MSP-LHR - A330-200

                                  Comment

                                  • Ren Frew
                                    Taxi Rank User
                                    • Jan 2000
                                    • 11826

                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by andrewm
                                    mmm me thinks i shall be there for the "FUN" of the 10 hour round trip drive wooo hoo!! Ill confirm with Mark and Dan on msn shortly.
                                    Driving across rural Ireland is definetly not for those in a hurry, too many tractors to contend with...

                                    You'd be quicker getting the ferry and flying from PIK (lol).
                                    Go n-ithe an cat th, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

                                    Comment

                                    • andrewm
                                      Rank 2 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2000
                                      • 4456

                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Ren Frew
                                      Driving across rural Ireland is definetly not for those in a hurry, too many tractors to contend with...

                                      You'd be quicker getting the ferry and flying from PIK (lol).
                                      LOL what tractors?
                                      Regards, Andrew

                                      Comment

                                      • LBARULES
                                        Pointless flightaholic!
                                        • May 2003
                                        • 9820

                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Matthew Murray
                                        I would also be interested in a small trip to DUB? If that would be an alternative?
                                        How does the 6th of July grab ya? I can get there for 25 from LBA that day, going morning, returning night.

                                        Comment

                                        Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                        Collapse

                                         

                                        Working...
                                        X