Frontier goes all Airbus

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

With its first flight this week, Frontier Airlines' fleet of 44 aircraft is officially "all-Airbus." However, today's watershed announcement was not an overnight process. Frontier began the transition from a Boeing fleet of 737-300 and 737-200 aircraft when it announced on October 19, 1999 that it had signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to purchase 11 new Airbus aircraft, with options for an additional nine. On November 4, 1999, Frontier further cemented its decision to transform its fleet to a single aircraft type when it announced it had signed an LOI for an additional 15 leased A319 aircraft. Finally, on August 21, 2003, the airline announced its largest order to date -- 29 A319 and A318 aircraft. The airline received its first Airbus A319 in June 2001 and when all orders are completed in 2008, Frontier's fleet will consist of 62 Airbus A319 and A318 aircraft

Today's announcement has both financial and consumer implications for the airline. In addition to the fuel efficiency of the A319 and A318, Frontier estimates that the cost-savings produced by a single fleet-type, primarily derived from maintenance and training savings, should result in approximately $11 million on an annual basis. In addition, with the retirement of Frontier's final Boeing 737-300, Frontier's average fleet age will be under two years, one of the youngest in the industry. All of Frontier's Airbus aircraft offer 33 inches of legroom in every seat, along with 24 channels of live DirecTV programming, and three pay-per-view movie selections in every seat back.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

An American airline with an all Airbus fleet? I like it. :)

As JetBlue is ..... so far.

Member for

20 years 11 months

and USA 3000.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Back in the 80's Eastern was the first US airline to get 3 or 4 A300's .
It was just a loan and Eastern placed an order later since they liked the bird.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Let it be one of many ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just as there are Euro airlines with all Boeing fleets. ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I really feel France should have an all-Airbus fleet...
France, as in the country, or as in the airline? If you're talking about Air France, they surely wouldn't dump their 744's, 744ERF's, 772, and 773ER's, not to mention their sizeable 737 fleet!

Member for

24 years 3 months

France, as in the country, or as in the airline? If you're talking about Air France, they surely wouldn't dump their 744's, 744ERF's, 772, and 773ER's, not to mention their sizeable 737 fleet!

I dont think they will. They just placed a 777 order .... ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well they just use the types which fit their needs I guess.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Why? Aren't they faithful to Airbus?!
Not 100% faithful, as they operate a sizeable Boeing flleet, to go with having operating every airbus type to date.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not 100% faithful, as they operate a sizeable Boeing flleet, to go with having operating every airbus type to date.

Actually they inheritated this fleet from Aeropostale ..... when they acquired this Postal airline.

Member for

24 years 3 months

They acquired the Airbuses from Aeropostal?

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, the sizeable 737's

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, the sizeable 737's
Oh, ok. Either way, they still operate, or have operated a number of Boeings. I neglected to mention the 767's they also operated. Did they ever operate the 727 or 757?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh, ok. Either way, they still operate, or have operated a number of Boeings. I neglected to mention the 767's they also operated. Did they ever operate the 727 or 757?

No the 727's have been phased out when the A320 went into service.
AFAIK AF never operated any 757
The 767's are gone

Member for

20 years 2 months

Although it's good to support one's own industry there is nothing wrong with airlines, even flagship carrier ones, buying a/c from other countries. This has never been a problem in Europe, with many airlines having an all-Boeing or manily-Boeing fleet, but there used to be a rather different (and a bit moronic if you ask me) position in America regarding ownership of non-American a/c.

Member for

20 years

There used to be more than one US airliner manufacturer, too.......;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Although it's good to support one's own industry there is nothing wrong with airlines, even flagship carrier ones, buying a/c from other countries. This has never been a problem in Europe, with many airlines having an all-Boeing or manily-Boeing fleet, but there used to be a rather different (and a bit moronic if you ask me) position in America regarding ownership of non-American a/c.
Well, United, Northwest, and America West both operate sizeable Airbus fleets at the moment, along with the 2 aforementioned airlines. When was this 'moronic' position evident?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Perhaps it's no so much the airlines (which at the end of the day should want the most adequate product for their businesses) as some of the passengers themselves. Judging by comments seen and heard on internet boards out there, the "if it ain't Boeing I'm not going" brigade is alive and well. People who claim they will not fly on an European-made a/c, only American ones. That has to have had an effect when it comes to consider a purchase.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Perhaps it's no so much the airlines (which at the end of the day should want the most adequate product for their businesses) as some of the passengers themselves. Judging by comments seen and heard on internet boards out there, the "if it ain't Boeing I'm not going" brigade is alive and well. People who claim they will not fly on an European-made a/c, only American ones. That has to have had an effect when it comes to consider a purchase.
Well said.

No the 727's have been phased out when the A320 went into service.
AFAIK AF never operated any 757
The 767's are gone
Thanks for that Hand. I was actually aware that the '67's were gone, and was well aware that they didn't currently operate the '27. I was just wondering if they had operated the 3-holer in the past, and you cleared that up.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Not to many US carriers only operate US manufactured aircraft. Continental is pure Boeing now that they've retired their MD-80's. They went all US back in the 1980's when they ditched their A300's which I believe the aquired from Eastern. Obviously the old CEO, Gordon Bethune, who had come from Boeing had some personal interest in being an all Boeing fleet. I guess if you want to get picky, Continental isn't all Boeing as they own the leases to our 249 EMB-135/145 jets, they just don't operate them since we've become a seperate company.

Southwest Airlines is pure Boeing and Delta has an all US manufactured fleet since they ditched their A310's about 10 years ago. Delta is very heavy on the MD side though with their huge MD-80 fleet. Alaskan is also all US but also have a number of MD-80's.