GSM going head to head with CSA @EDI

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

According to their webpage www.flyglobespan.com
it looks like a summer fare war is about to erupt on EDI-PRG
Will GSM repeat the challenge over the winter months.?
Will CSA respond to the challenge?

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I would expect GSM to do as well from EDI as they do from GLA on the PRG route - they continually get higher loads than CSA.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Must be having fantastic loads on GLA-PRG so they are going to try EDI-PRG.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Excellent news. GSM seem to be going all out to knock CSA off the route. The prices are currently less than £60 return!
The flight is operating with a GSM flight code too. I presume this'll be a route for the B736s?

Member for

19 years 11 months

I would expect GSM to do as well from EDI as they do from GLA on the PRG route - they continually get higher loads than CSA.

In the melting pot...GSM seem to be going for the leisure
market rather connections. I wish them well. :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Excellent news. GSM seem to be going all out to knock CSA off the route. The prices are currently less than £60 return!
The flight is operating with a GSM flight code too. I presume this'll be a route for the B736s?

Looks like it, I hope they continue the EDI-PRG route into the
winter months..plus I hope BAA give them the same winter discounts that are available elsewhere. :eek:

Member for

20 years 1 month

winter months..plus I hope BAA give them the same winter discounts that are available elsewhere. :eek:

Given that this route is daily they are probably getting subsidised from BAA anyway?

I hope the new route announcement in May will still follow this.

Member for

20 years

I hope BAA give them the same winter discounts that are available elsewhere. :eek:

No reason why they shouldnt, as of course its a level playing field. :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 6 months

No reason why they shouldnt

no reason why they should.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I find it funny that the Scottish members have a war over how a new carrier should come to either GLA or EDI. And now the beloved GSM announces PRG and are beginning to batter CSA off the route. Think of the consequenses. CSA will pull out. I doubt at this stage Scotland is their most profitable market.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I think GSM should leave this route to CSA and launch a route not served from Scotland yet. Seems like un needed duplication. But of course aviation does not think about the greater good for Scotland. Lets hope CSA keep on EDI though

Member for

19 years 8 months

No reason why they shouldnt, as of course its a level playing field. :rolleyes:

Now now lads we don't want this turning into a "GLA V EDI" thing so I'm sure Silver Snapper can and will clarify exactly what the charges are at each airport so that we can all be sure that it's either a level playing field or it's not? :)

Member for

19 years 5 months

The Travel Service 734 may well be moving to EDI at the end of April, with the 2 736's joining the 738's at GLA.

Member for

19 years 5 months

IIRC CSA receive or have received SE funding for the EDI-PRG route. As GSM are now competing with them on the route the SE will either need to give GSM the same funding or withdraw the funding from CSA.

Member for

19 years 6 months

GSM will NOT get funding as it is NOT a new routs. Funding only goes to flights to places not currently operation to/from Scotland but as there is already a EDI-PRG service it will not get funding. I dont know what happend with both GSM and CSA on GLA-PRG but they both anounced with in one or two days of each other and both started these flights on the 31st of October.

Member for

20 years 1 month

As I've said already, it'll probably receive funding from BAA.

Member for

19 years 5 months

GSM will NOT get funding as it is NOT a new routs. Funding only goes to flights to places not currently operation to/from Scotland but as there is already a EDI-PRG service it will not get funding. I dont know what happend with both GSM and CSA on GLA-PRG but they both anounced with in one or two days of each other and both started these flights on the 31st of October.

Because of what happened with FR at CRL any government subsidy to an airline has to be available to all airlines who wish to operate this route - otherwise the SE will be in contravention of EU law.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Well they refused to fund GSM from GLA to ALC, AGP, PMI, FAO etc which are all daily so why do they not fund them routs but they did fund GSM daily to PRG and BCN? They SE is a bit of an embarisment to Scotland not just in aviation if you ask me and i'm sure if you ask the majority of Scot's they will agree, but thats not reallt 100% aviation related so i will not go in to that much further.

Member for

20 years

Do the daily flights not need to be year round ? Some of those GLA GSM routes are not.

Member for

19 years 3 months

According to their webpage www.flyglobespan.com
it looks like a summer fare war is about to erupt on EDI-PRG
Will GSM repeat the challenge over the winter months.?
Will CSA respond to the challenge?

Some a predicted a disaster when the same scenario happened at GLA - I wonder how they will greet this news.

Oldtimer2

Member for

19 years 3 months

As I've said already, it'll probably receive funding from BAA.

BAA offering incentives at EDI that might not be available elsewhere? Surely you jest :)

Oldtimer2