Spotting at EDI

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hi all,

My work is sending me backwards and forwards over the next month or two from STN to EDI and I am wondering about some good spotting/photo spots at EDI - any recommendations/anyone fancy a beer sometime up there? ;-)

Cheers!! :o

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi all,

My work is sending me backwards and forwards over the next month or two from STN to EDI and I am wondering about some good spotting/photo spots at EDI - any recommendations/anyone fancy a beer sometime up there? ;-)

Spooks is undoubtedly the best option all in.
This is situated on the Ingleston Market grounds which is adjacent to the runway and provides perfect views of landing and taking off aircraft.

Theres a good spot on the north side of the runway, but you're further away from the aircraft, so not good if you don't have the correct lenses

Let us know when your there. Us Edi regulars will be happy to give you a tour

Heres a crude map

Spooks, well I've labelled it. The other spot is also marked.
The blue lines are the new taxiways.

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/8660/egph6vd.jpg

Member for

19 years 9 months

Think I've been in there, Truck Show in 2002 I think it was. I'm think of a trip to EDI and GLA during the summer, maybe once to GLA during the summer then again in August as Fred suggests :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Anyone free to come along? Silver Snapper?

I have visitors at the moment - from STN strangely enough!

The best all-round spotting/photo area (especially for cameras
without big lenses) is Ingliston opposite Bravo One.

The fence gets in the way of big lenses but it's the most popular spot at EDI by far.

I prefer peace and quite, away from the madding crowds,
at Cammo Road rail bridge.

Excellent runway 24 approach and Delta 1 shots.

200mm lenses are fine but 300mm upwards are better.

Its on the other side of the airport by the cargo area and
transport is necessary.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Hi all,

If it's during the day before 4 pm head for Ingliston Market (assuming you have a car) and there are plenty of spots along the fence for pics if you have a small diameter lens, otherwise you'll be limited to shots above the line of the fence.
After 4 pm head to the north side (accessed via Kirkliston) and the 'Boathouse Bridge,' park the car there and walk east about 150 yards and there is a slightly raised embankment which offers excellent views of landings/departures on r/w 24, especially if the sun is getting low as it gives the pics a nice hue (a small ladder would help).
Check my pics on the 'Turnhouse Tour - Part I/II/II' threads for ideas of what to expect.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Wow! - Thanks for the help guys......looking good....
Found out that I will more than likely be up on April 18th for the week to begin with.....Plenty of time to get some spotting and photos with my Canon 100-400mm in!!

Will remind you closer to the time and get the beers in (within reason!) for those who come out to play!!!

Cheers lads!
Chris.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Wow! - Thanks for the help guys......looking good....
Found out that I will more than likely be up on April 18th for the week to begin with.....Plenty of time to get some spotting and photos with my Canon 100-400mm in!!

Will remind you closer to the time and get the beers in (within reason!) for those who come out to play!!!

Cheers lads!
Chris.

Forget what Kaplan Dig has said, he only has a
little-un. :rolleyes:

The guys with big-uns go either to Cammo during
westerlies of the Spooks area during easterlies..

Let me know nearer the time and I'll meet/greet and
take you to the relevant area on the day. :cool:

Member for

19 years 11 months

Sounds like you guys will have fun!

All invited! :D

Member for

19 years 5 months

Roger that fellas!!! Might have to pop up a day ahead of work!!! ;-) Now I just need to avoid my family who live in Falkirk!! LOL!!!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Forget what Kaplan Dig has said, he only has a
little-un. :rolleyes:

The guys with big-uns go either to Cammo during
westerlies of the Spooks area during easterlies..

Let me know nearer the time and I'll meet/greet and
take you to the relevant area on the day. :cool:

"Forget what Kaplan Dig has said."

Pardon?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Roger that fellas!!! Might have to pop up a day ahead of work!!! ;-) Now I just need to avoid my family who live in Falkirk!! LOL!!!

Falkirk should be avoided at all costs ! :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Falkirk should be avoided at all costs ! :D

It's barely 30 miles from EDI, will they 'sense' your presence.? ;)

Member for

19 years 11 months

"Forget what Kaplan Dig has said."

Pardon?

About the spots he recommends for little-uns. :diablo:

Member for

19 years 8 months

About the spots he recommends for little-uns. :diablo:

I still don't follow, the Boathouse Bridge spot after 4 pm yields excellent results, especially landing shots on 24?

Member for

19 years 11 months

I still don't follow, the Boathouse Bridge spot after 4 pm yields excellent results, especially landing shots on 24?

Shooting through the fence with a lttle-un.?

Almondbank, some 100 yards along the secluded path allows shots with big-uns above the fence.

OK for those who take a string of bodyguards with them, but who would go alone with over £2000s worth of
equipment.?

Remember the Jamie mugging.? Forewarned is forearmed.