Flame-out; what would you see?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

What would happen if a jetliner had a flame-out at altitude (while making contrails) due to fuel starvation. What would you see?

The reason I am asking this is that I am working on a crash reconstruction animation and I want to show a flame-out happening. I am just unsure how to visualise it. Would the contrail be intermittent for a moment and then stop? Would there be smoke of any kind?

I hope someone can enlighten me on this :)

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

go on airliners.net, there is a photo there of a MD-11 shot at Geneve where the center engine is having a flame-out.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/392871/L

I think thats more a failure or surge than it running out of fuel.

the very fact that there is no fuel would lead me to beleive there would be no flame visable on a fuel starved flame out.

Member for

19 years 9 months

That pic on a.net is of an engine surge... A flame out is litterally that - the "flame" goes out. Nothing to be seen, just the engine that winds down.

Andy

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks guys, that more or less confirms my thoughts.

If it runs out of fuel, could there be any stuttering, or is it over and out in a single instant?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks guys, that more or less confirms my thoughts.

If it runs out of fuel, could there be any stuttering, or is it over and out in a single instant?

No stuttering. Just stops.

Member for

19 years 9 months

If the aircraft was on the ground you would probably see a puff of white smoke, but in flight I doubt if there would be anything visible, due to the airflow.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

I'm sure I speak for all when I say:

Happy to help :)

Member for

19 years 2 months

It is unlikely to just stop. There would be a gradual wind down with the contrail most likely diminishing to nothing. This is due to the residual heat in the combustion chamber generating the trail but reducing in intensity as the temperature reduces to ambient.

The flame out is not visible. If you see something, it is something else. The normal ones are surge and stall which have similar characteristics to the MD-11 shown.

Member for

20 years 6 months

It is unlikely to just stop. There would be a gradual wind down with the contrail most likely diminishing to nothing. This is due to the residual heat in the combustion chamber generating the trail but reducing in intensity as the temperature reduces to ambient.

The flame out is not visible. If you see something, it is something else. The normal ones are surge and stall which have similar characteristics to the MD-11 shown.

I meant it would just stop as in not sputter.
Jet engines do not sputter when out of fuel, the combustion simply stops.