Photo database

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Dont know if this has been brought up before but after today and all the other fantastic pictures that are uploaded to this forum i was just wondering if it would be possible for Key Publishing to set up its own Airlines.net style photo data base?

Just a thought cheers, EK

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I do not think that KEY would want to get such a database, since the cost of running such a system is huge. Even when you have a volunteer work force like at airliners or jetphotos. The webspace and bandwidth required is very high.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I do not think that KEY would want to get such a database, since the cost of running such a system is huge. Even when you have a volunteer work force like at airliners or jetphotos. The webspace and bandwidth required is very high.

Tis True, although I'd be willing to volunteer in the running of it... :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

It does seem of late that there are more picture related topics being pushed through, and agree that to host a dedicated section would be time consuming. But it does make a nice change that all those submitting pictures are of good high quality well done all (including myself).

Member for

19 years 5 months

i would also volunteer.

Member for

19 years 11 months

seems like you have plenty of backing for this.

I would help.

Member for

19 years 11 months

However i suppose they do have the First Class Membership and things like that with lots of members so thats how they pay for it.

This is a free community and i dont think anyone would want to sacrifice that for a photo database,

Member for

24 years 3 months

Also, what would having a photo database add?

Let's face it, airliners, and to a lesser extent jetphotos, has by now gotten very well known. That's what is so attracting to most photographers. Why upload to a minor site (let's not kid ourselves, KEY is tiny compared to airliners... but a lot more pleasant!) where few people will see your photos when there are free alternatives that are well known and respected the world over? After all, in the end showing the photos is just one big ego trip! Look what I made, you gotta love me! :D

Nothing stops you from posting a thread linking to photos at airliners, jetphotos or myaviation. The sites allow hotlinking to the preview photo. In the current KEY setup it would not make a difference whether you hotlink to a preview, or upload a photo since it will be resized to a "preview size" anyway.

Member for

19 years 5 months

might be a stupid question but would sponsorship be possible or perhaps advertising on the database?

Member for

20 years 1 month

After all, in the end showing the photos is just one big ego trip! Look what I made, you gotta love me!

I really MUST take exception to this statement. I know I've just posted five threads, all containing shots taken at Dublin, and that this perhaps was the trigger for this particular thread, but it is by no means "one big ego trip".

The photos were posted for two reasons - firstly there aren't many photos seen on the forum from Dublin (mostly PIK, MAN, EDI and GLA), and secondly, this particular day was a very busy one at DUB with lots of extra charter flights taking place to transport the French rugby supporters back home after Saturday's international. I thought the members would appreciate seeing the variety of aircraft in DUB that day.

Throwaway comments like this one can be very hurtful to those of us who do contribute to the forum (hopefully in a meaningful way), but if this is a general view, and my postings have caused problems for the webmaster or mods, with relation to storage space etc., then I would prefer my posts to be removed by them in order to preserve the harmony of the forum.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I really MUST take exception to this statement. I know I've just posted five threads, all containing shots taken at Dublin, and that this perhaps was the trigger for this particular thread, but it is by no means "one big ego trip".

The photos were posted for two reasons - firstly there aren't many photos seen on the forum from Dublin (mostly PIK, MAN, EDI and GLA), and secondly, this particular day was a very busy one at DUB with lots of extra charter flights taking place to transport the French rugby supporters back home after Saturday's international. I thought the members would appreciate seeing the variety of aircraft in DUB that day.

Throwaway comments like this one can be very hurtful to those of us who do contribute to the forum (hopefully in a meaningful way), but if this is a general view, and my postings have caused problems for the webmaster or mods, with relation to storage space etc., then I would prefer my posts to be removed by them in order to preserve the harmony of the forum.

Well said Dee747, I think that adding photos are another way of contributing and making this the good forum it is. Just ignore those comments and keep posting as they were excellent shots.

Andy

Member for

24 years 3 months

As much as I love the photo threads, I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. I'd prefer if the trip report forum was re-merged into the main commercial forum and we had a sub forum for just photo threads.

Threads that contain photos as illustrative material, such as in trip reports and other discussion based threads should stay with in the main body of commercial.

What do other's think?

Member for

20 years 6 months

As much as I love the photo threads, I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. I'd prefer if the trip report forum was re-merged into the main commercial forum and we had a sub forum for just photo threads.

Threads that contain photos as illustrative material, such as in trip reports and other discussion based threads should stay with in the main body of commercial.

What do other's think?

trip report forum.

Large can of worms that, best left unopened

Member for

24 years 3 months

wooooo, calm down! I was just stirring the pot a little, somewhat too effective it seems.

My comment was not at all meant to insult you or any other of the photographers. I like to photograph as well and do it quite often (once every three weeks or so). If you search my history here I'm sure you'll find loads of photo-threads posted by me! Just a few weeks ago I made a thread from a 5 day photo trip to FRA!