ok guys, time to start my ATPL..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

I opened a topic about this some time ago, now the time has come to choose the flying school that fits my needs.
I guess the best ones are the Jerez and Oxford one, the former being more honest about the pricings, the latter having an interesting 737-400 sim session!! I'm sure there are other valuable schools too, I would have loved to join Alitalia's Skymaster, but seems like it's gonna take a lot of time before they reopen it..
I've even seen the CTC which makes a really interesting formula together with Easy Jet and other companies..
Needless to say the prices are prohibitive, but the financing possibilities sound appealing nonetheless, and eventually everybody say the same thing "it's all about yr skill, we can't 100% assure a job, but something like 99%"..
All I need to do now is take the proper decision (easy uh? :rolleyes: ), and choose the best school, or better the one that might give the best job opportunities..
What u guys think about it? For me it's time to move, I'll have my JAR1 Medical soon, so I wont have any other excuses not to start my adventure, but I'm always willing to get hints, info or whatever about the Airline Pilot Career.

Cheers

Alex

P.S.
How about taking my ATPL in the US? I always wondered if crossing the pond is worth it ;)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

OAT is best in Europe from what i hear from real world pilots. To quote "Airlines look to OAT first and then the others"

Member for

24 years 3 months

I thought you were the guy who told me on the General Aviation forum, how boring being an airline pilot was!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

21 years

OAT (Oxford) is an excellent school where I'm currently just finishing off my licence. However, don't be sucked in by their talk of jobs, there are very few airlines that really care how you got your licence now, it's all about attitude and crew resource management. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Member for

19 years 4 months

I thought you were the guy who told me on the General Aviation forum, how boring being an airline pilot was!!!!!!!!!!!

sure, I still think it, but hey, I was told that pilots earn a lot! :D ;)

Thanks Martin, I'm not sure I got it right, but for what I could see the OAT gives u even a type rating on the B737-400 in the course, that is something!

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

sure, I still think it, but hey, I was told that pilots earn a lot! :D ;)

Thanks Martin, I'm not sure I got it right, but for what I could see the OAT gives u even a type rating on the B737-400 in the course, that is something!

Alex

There are other jobs easier to get into where you earn alot more. And they dont require you to spend £60K for training. £60k will take a while to pay off....

Member for

19 years 4 months

There are other jobs easier to get into where you earn alot more. And they dont require you to spend £60K for training. £60k will take a while to pay off....

example?? :D :D :D

I always thought that professionally the civil pilot career is the most professional thing u can get (after military of course..), and since is about working with aircraft what better job could an aviation junkie and warbird restorer dream of?? :)

Alex

Member for

19 years 10 months

sure, I still think it, but hey, I was told that pilots earn a lot! :D ;) Alex

Erm, I'm far from being a pilot, but I've got a feeling you will be extreamly disapointed if you are going into it simply for the money.

AFAIK, Pay has recently gone down loads, and the apparent bad/unstable rostering by airlines means that quality of life isn't very good, crew are often very tired, and there are more working hours than other jobs. Add to that the fact that your flying skills will be scrutinized every six months throughout your career and you can see that to stick to the job you probably need to find it interesting and have a passion for it.

See www.pprune.com and check out the threads regarding working conditions.

I'm not trying to put you off - The above is only what I've gathered from stuff on the net, I have no first hand experience but the general consensus seems to be that it is not a job that you should do simply for the money.

Member for

19 years 4 months

...guys, I was joking... :rolleyes:
as I said I'd love to make a work that is involved with my passion, I dont really care about being an A380 captain, I'd be happy flying Dakotas in southern america (i'd actually prefer this option!) :)

Alex

Member for

21 years

Afraid OAT don't give you a type rating or anything like it on the 737-400 or any other aircraft. We have a full motion 734 simulator, but it is not JAA approved and is only used for the jet orientation course and multi crew cooperation course, sadly you are not even allowed to log these hours as it is not a recognised training sim.

Member for

19 years 4 months

really??? cuz in the website it says "40 hours MCC and JOT Course in Boeing 737-400 Simulator " so u mean these hours are worth nothing?

Alex

Member for

20 years 9 months

Afraid OAT don't give you a type rating or anything like it on the 737-400 or any other aircraft. We have a full motion 734 simulator, but it is not JAA approved and is only used for the jet orientation course and multi crew cooperation course, sadly you are not even allowed to log these hours as it is not a recognised training sim.

This is why I'm hoping to join an ATPL course at a more local airfield. Stapleford run an ATPL course similar (I think) to the way the OAT one works, but I can see it having it's advantages. In the £53,000 price tag, it INCLUDES a 737 type rating AND 100 hours line training flying for Astraeus. About the same price as OAT, but seems to have a big advantage in the form of this actual line training, rather than just flight sim hours.

Check out the website at www.flysfc.com :)

Member for

19 years 4 months

This one sounds like a really good option, but the price doesnt seem to be for a "campus" formula, which is something I need since I dont live there.. The type rating on the 737-400 is a good thing, do u know of any school doing a type rating on the Airbus family?

Cheers

Alex

Member for

20 years 8 months

This is why I'm hoping to join an ATPL course at a more local airfield. Stapleford run an ATPL course similar (I think) to the way the OAT one works, but I can see it having it's advantages. In the £53,000 price tag, it INCLUDES a 737 type rating AND 100 hours line training flying for Astraeus. About the same price as OAT, but seems to have a big advantage in the form of this actual line training, rather than just flight sim hours.

Check out the website at www.flysfc.com :)

wannabe

Be careful here, the Astraeus type rating & 100hrs line on the 737 is not guarunteed, you have to pass a rigorous selection process with Astraeus before you are accepted on it, I went to an open day at Stapleford and met the owner of Astraeus, for clarification I would speak to them indepth about it before signing anything over

Dean

Member for

20 years 9 months

wannabe

Be careful here, the Astraeus type rating & 100hrs line on the 737 is not guarunteed, you have to pass a rigorous selection process with Astraeus before you are accepted on it, I went to an open day at Stapleford and met the owner of Astraeus, for clarification I would speak to them indepth about it before signing anything over

Dean

Cheers for the info, I'm not quite ready yet! Not 17 til September, and even then I will more than likely be continuing at school with my a-levels. I've spoken to the course organiser and I'm arranging a meeting with her, to go and discuss it properly.

Member for

21 years

Alex.

Afraid that the hours don't even get put in your log book. Also bare in mind that the £60,000 you pay for the APP course at Oxford doesn't include a place to live. It costs £720 per month to live in halls, so add about £6000 more to the total price of the course.

Martin

Member for

24 years 3 months

Alex.

Afraid that the hours don't even get put in your log book. Also bare in mind that the £60,000 you pay for the APP course at Oxford doesn't include a place to live. It costs £720 per month to live in halls, so add about £6000 more to the total price of the course.

Martin

I know someone starting in April and they said (they were told by pilot who went through OAT) that halls are way over priced and i know he has now got accomodation alot cheaper off site by renting...

Member for

21 years

I know someone starting in April and they said (they were told by pilot who went through OAT) that halls are way over priced and i know he has now got accomodation alot cheaper off site by renting...

And he's totally correct. The halls are extremely overpriced and renting a flat works out cheaper. However, halls have the added advantage of having no real distractions which is vital during training. I've lived at home throughout my training though. Was born and raised 20 minutes from the airport!