Newcastle Aeroclub

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Sorry if this has been posted before.
On NCL's website it says someone has taken over the aero club

Samson Aviation acquire Newcastle Aeroclub
18 February 2005

Samson Aviation Services Limited has acquired of the assets of The Newcastle upon Tyne Aeroclub Limited in Administration.

Samson has paid an undisclosed sum to acquire six of the seven aircraft previously operated by the Aeroclub; as well as the equipment and associated furniture in the flying school, restaurant and bar. Samson will also be signing a lease with Newcastle International Airport Limited for occupation of the associated premises.

Samson intends renting out the aircraft and flying school facilities to existing flying training providers at Newcastle International to ensure that, as far as commercially possible, the training services previously operated by the Aeroclub are reinstated. The existing providers have re-employed some of the previous Aeroclub employees.

Samson further intends to refurbish the 1930’s heritage terminal building previously occupied by the Aeroclub, reopening the bar and restaurant facilities and making them available, not only to all previous Aeroclub members, but also to all current airport security pass holders and their families. It is expected that a small annual membership fee will be levied in due course.

Graeme Mason, Planning, Development and Facilities Manager of NIAL said today: “Newcastle International is delighted with the outcome of the Aeroclub Administration Order. It has enabled the future of flight training at Newcastle to be put on a sound financial footing.”

“We see that facility, together with the existing Newcastle Aviation Academy, becoming an important centre for aviation staff training in the North of England. And of course we all look forward to the airport staff membership of the old terminal restaurant and bar”.

Mike Pott, Partner of accountancy firm rmt, Administrators of the Aeroclub since the middle of November 2004, said “We are absolutely delighted that the administration has allowed a flying training facility to remain at Newcastle. The Administrators worked closely with NIAL to achieve this. We are pleased that our professional services, and those of our colleagues at Dickinson Dees Law Firm have helped to achieve this outcome.”

Information from: http://www.newcastleairport.com/ReadNews.aspx?news=79

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Yep, I'm over the moon with it! Martin Ballinger, the owner of Samson is leasing the club house and the aircraft out to Northumbria Helicopters, who offer fixed wing and helicopter training. This should see the Aero Club back to what it was a few years ago, and the best is it will be ran by former Chairman, Neil Clark, the owner of Northumbria Helicopters! This means there will 7 aircraft to choose from, and meals will be put back on for visitors. I had my first flying lesson since November on Wednesday in PA28 G-BSSE, of Northumbria Helicopters and I have another booked for Sunday at 4! A cannot wait! It's brill!!!

Member for

20 years

Will these owners allow non-members and non-workers to visit the aeroclub for viewing? How much is it these days for a flight/lesson?

Member for

20 years 1 month

It's actually a few pund cheaper than it used to be, it was around £125 an hour and is now £98 for an hour. I think the plan is it will be for anyone, but I'll double check on Sunday for you.