Rumors about problems with the A380

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

The German magazine "Der Spiegel" writes, that the landing gear is too weak, and that there is an additional problem with the tail cone.
But beware, "Der Spiegel" loves a little scandal, and a lot of what he writes isn't completely wrong, but wildly exaggerated.

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

as u said they have had shady reports in the past..i would wait for a little more credible source/sources and an official airbus response to questions which will inadvertently be raised following such reports.

Member for

19 years 8 months

The Spiegel write many lies about the Eurofighter and now about the A380.Look like they hate EADS

Member for

19 years 8 months

One would hope,that airbus issue a press release pretty quick, regarding the story from "Der Spiegel" The longer they leave it,the more people will read into it.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Looks like, that the first flight of the A380 won't be in March, maybe in April - after Easter holidays in Europe.
As like the Concorde, Airbus will wait until the aircraft is 101% ready for take-off and the weather around Toulouse is fine.

Source: Flug Revue March 2005

Member for

20 years

Wasn't the landing gear made in the USA by BF Goodrich? ;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

Wasn't the landing gear made in the USA by BF Goodrich? ;)

But it's manufactured in USA, Canada and Poland. :dev2:

Member for

20 years

Yes. That's roughly what I said, Distiller.

Your point being? :confused:

Member for

19 years 7 months

I recently watched a show on The Learning Channel hosted by John Travolta on the assembly of Airbus's A380 used for the unveiling. They had a few issues with a couple of things, one of which was the tail cone being 6mm off center. This was something they immediately delt with. However, nothing was ever mentioned about the undercarriage. If anything, I am sure that BFGoodrich took all the precautions in the world to make that each bogie would be strudy enough to support the aircraft's weight.

Member for

19 years 8 months

One would hope,that airbus issue a press release pretty quick, regarding the story from "Der Spiegel" The longer they leave it,the more people will read into it.

Airbus has already say it is not true

Member for

24 years 3 months

There is still the issue of the empty weight being 5t over! I think that a resolve needs be found to this issue before the aircraft will fly. That I guess could lead to an increase in MTOW, but I'm no expert in this field so don't know what is happening completely anymore.

Member for

19 years 8 months

well this 4 (or 5?)t are 1-2% of the weight

---------------

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - European planemaker Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) (BA.L: Quote, Profile, Research) said the development of its A380 superjumbo remained on track and denied problems had been encountered during stress tests on the aircraft ahead of its first flight.

"The preliminary findings indicate we are moving in the right direction," said spokesman David Voskuhl on Monday. "No serious problems have been encountered."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7688804

Member for

20 years 6 months

well this 4 (or 5?)t are 1-2% of the weight

---------------

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - European planemaker Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) (BA.L: Quote, Profile, Research) said the development of its A380 superjumbo remained on track and denied problems had been encountered during stress tests on the aircraft ahead of its first flight.

"The preliminary findings indicate we are moving in the right direction," said spokesman David Voskuhl on Monday. "No serious problems have been encountered."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7688804

I'd just like to say that what percentage of the total weight 5t is does not matter. You can dress it up as much as you like, but if the A380 is 5t overweight that means 5t is lost in possible revenue cargo/pax capacity. Not to say it is. Just want to show that however you dress it up, overweight is overweight, be it Boeing or Airbus.

I would like to echo the comments of others though. Take anything "Der Spiegel" says with a considerable pinch of salt.

Member for

20 years 2 months

With the design and structual calculations required for a project this size do you REALLY thing the landing gear would be too weak????

Member for

20 years 2 months

I don't know, from the latest pccies of the A380, it's holding all that weight up nicely :D

..but it hasn't bounced on a few runways yet :eek:

Member for

21 years 1 month

OH come on!

Airbus has had 30 years of building Cutting edge aircraft do you think for a second that this thing would reach for the sky without every pre-test being completed, and that goes for BOEING as well.

Paul

Member for

20 years 2 months

No doubt a few people out there are crossing their fingers and hoping something goes wrong.

Member for

20 years 6 months

OH come on!

Airbus has had 30 years of building Cutting edge aircraft do you think for a second that this thing would reach for the sky without every pre-test being completed, and that goes for BOEING as well.

Paul

Perhaps not. But it has to be said that airbus' track record of getting things wrong does add uncertainty to the A380 project.

However, I beleive that with all the intense attention being paid on the A380, they'll make damn sure its all 100% to spec.

Member for

20 years 6 months

No doubt a few people out there are crossing their fingers and hoping something goes wrong.

Almost definately.

Just like there are people hoping the 787, 777-200LR and any other boeing project goes wrong.

Just be glad we don't have any of that kind of fan here.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Pre-flight tests

When will the engine and runway tests begin???
They must be soon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

First flight is from what I've heard scheduled for March 31st.

They promised to do their first flight in the 1st quarter of 2005. They have had some delays, but they are desperately trying to make 31/03/05 so they can still claim their first flight was indeed in the first quarter.

Either way, expect the first flight soonish. If I am not mistaken the engines have already been tested, just not flown or taxied.