Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easyjet v Ryanair

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pembo330
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Easyjet v Ryanair

I don't know if I am classed as a 'frequent flyer' or not but with typically 6-10 individual flights a year, I'm no stranger to boarding an aeroplane. In all my time though, I have yet to fly with a Low Cost Carrier; instead I fly a mix of scheduled and charter flights for both work and leisure.

Anyway, this year I booked a weekend away and will be using Ryanair for the journey. I thought that would be my lot until the boys decided to sort a weekend away too. Having never flown a Lo-co, I now find myself flying both Easyjet and Ryanair within days of each other on consecutive weekends.

The point of this thread is to establish what you all think of the two airlines, how they compare in terms of service, style, aircraft comfort etc. What are your own experiences with the two and which, if you had to chose, would be your favourite.
    Easyjet
    88.46%
    Ryanair
    11.54%
    Pembo 330

• Bmused55
    Aaahh Emu!
    • Oct 2003

easyJet anyday.... they don't change your flight bookings without telling you.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

Comment

• bmi-star
      EGOV local
      • Feb 2004

Allthough i have flown oth, EZY does edge it, as they serve more central airports, and that is important. Tho i was impresses by my RYR flights this week!
      Regards, Elgan

Comment

• SHAMROCK321
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2004

I have never flown easyjet so Im not going to comment on and Im not going to be dragged into a Ryanair -vs- Easyjet row.
        However having flown Ryanair they are very punctual wheater they ad some time on or not you still arrive earlier then you expected.
        There staff are generally freindly except for the STN check in agents but I put that down to the people from London not being nearly as freindly as some other UK cities or agents from other countries.
        The provide a cheap efficent way of getting from A to B and you can complain about how far away the airports are from the city but you know where they fly. If you would rather pay the extra to get into the city centre by all meens to so but 27million people decided on the alternative last year.

Comment

• LBARULES
          Pointless flightaholic!
          • May 2003

Havent flown Easyjet, but have flown Ryanair.

Dont really know why people moan about them so much, they get you from a to b at a cheap price and most of the time early. (Yes I know they allow alot of time in the schedules!). Will see if they are still the same when I fly with them shortly.

Sandy - When Ryanair changed the terminal and times of my flights, they sent me about 4 emails telling me afterwards!

Comment

• concordesst
            • Mar 2004

I've never flew ryanair but i would still say easyJet because luggage is sort of a big thing when i go off on holiday!

Comment

• Bmused55
              Aaahh Emu!
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by LBARULES
              Havent flown Easyjet, but have flown Ryanair.

Dont really know why people moan about them so much, they get you from a to b at a cheap price and most of the time early. (Yes I know they allow alot of time in the schedules!). Will see if they are still the same when I fly with them shortly.

Sandy - When Ryanair changed the terminal and times of my flights, they sent me about 4 emails telling me afterwards!
              Whan Ryanair changed the flight DATES!, not time or terminals, of Mine and Matthew's flights, they did not tell us untill we confirmed via phone.

By then they had already taken payment. We had a confirmation e-mail with the dates WE had requested. Basicaly we booked PIK-DUB-PIK on the same day. FR changed our return flight to a day or two later and then demanded an extra 80 odd to change it back to what WE had ordered and indeed had confirmed via e-mail.
              Bmused55

My Blog
              My Designs

Comment

• LBARULES
                Pointless flightaholic!
                • May 2003

Sorry, no need to shout

I understand, just saying that they did inform me of changes. That is bad service you received though.

Comment

• Airline owner
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Oct 2003

Squeezyjet for me!!

Comment

• Duesseldwarf
                    Professional Day-tripper
                    • Jan 2000

EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET EASYJET

Ryanair, so far, have managed this impressive CV of bad customer service - and honestly - this is only on my own bookings.

1/ We inadvertently booked STN/CIA/STN and STN/BGY/STN for the same dates for a daytrip (instead of a week apart). Totally our fault. However, within a few hours of booking, I called them to explain that we had booked Rome and Milan leaving from the same airport at the same time on the same dates for the same people. Again, totally our fault. However, Ryanair, after a 10 minute wait on hold at 1 per minute (no exaggeration), came up with a supervisor to tell me that it was our fault and therefore, we'd have to pay 30.00 each to change the booking (the seats cost 25 in the first place). I simply rebooked the correct dates on the internet as a new booking in the end, saving us 15. When they wouldn't offer any assistance, I asked them what would happen if I checked in for both flights and then decided afterwards which flight to go on? They said that they wouldn't recommend that (well,duh!! obviously!!). I told them not to cancel either booking and that we'd decide on the day which flight we would go on. I fancied getting something for my money on the day. We learned a big lesson during that phone call - Ryanair are ruthless and may boast about offering the best customer service - but I can only laugh at that claim!

2/ Flight cancelled from GRO last January (it was a daytrip, or it was meant to be a daytrip) when STN was closed due to snow. Fair enough we thought. Not Ryanair's fault. We got back the next day and found out through work that STN was closed to clear the runway of snow for about 30 minutes apparently! - hardly worth cancelling a flight for - I've had longer delays on Ryanair where the flight did operate and it was snowing that day too!

3/ Daytrip to LBC. I just happened to check the website the day before we went, to confirm the times. Our flight was no longer there. I phoned Ryanair (1 a minute again!) and they said that the return flight had been changed to 2pm from 9pm due to a cancelled rotation. I asked them when they planned to tell me this seeing as how I was travelling the next day and they said that they would have told me at STN when I was checking in for the outbound sector. THANKS! Our daytrip would have been about enough time to go to Lbeck for a sandwich! We cancelled the flights and chose a refund. Grrrrr

4/ Lbeck - Mark II. A weekend in Germany to visit a friend in Oldenburg for a few days. We landed in LBC and my partner pointed out the state of the runway - it was quite badly crumbling at the edges and really looked rough. We left and thought nothing else about it. We got the train to Oldenburg, via Hamburg. On the way back, we took the train again, via Hamburg, to Lbeck. We had about an hour or so in Lbeck to spare before heading to the airport. We got a taxi to LBC and waited for checkin to open. I just happened to notice that there was no STN flight checkin and almost no passengers around. A Lbeck airport employee asked us which flight we were MEANT to be on. I said London Stansted. Oh - these flights are going from Hamburg Airport. Pardon? I flew in here just 4 days ago and the confirmation states Lbeck. No, you don't understand, the aiport has been closed by three judges who have ruled the runway unserviceable! ******!! I had to ask - Why did Ryanair not contact me to advise me of this? They would have emailed you. But I had already started my journey and was on holiday!! What do we do now? EUR80 and a (very nice Mercedes) taxi ride at a frightening 180 kms an hour at times, we got to Hamburg Airport - 5 mins late for checkin. Thankfully, Lbeck Airport had advised them that we were en route and we should be there just about in time. Skin of our teeth - I tells ya! The flight was boarding as we turned up at the gate. I didn't write to FR as I realised that that would be a complete waste of time, paper, envelope and stamp. Why do Ryanair take a daytime phone number from you if they don't use it to inform you of an AIRPORT change if your journey has started, but hasn't yet been completed? Anyone from Ryanair who can offer an explanation to this one?

So, in summary - I much prefer easyJet! In 50 or so sectors with them, I have had nothing but the very occasional delay. Their staff are allowed to be themselves and it makes a huge difference. The passenger figures between FR and EZY aren't that far apart and I do believe that Ryanair may shoot themselves in the foot one day with all their antics.

(PS - please feel free to ignore my hypocracy in flying FR in three weeks time and again in April, as well as a recent trip to Spain! I prefer easyJet, but I am going to take the risk in flying Ryanair from time to time - just not as often as before. Hope you made it this far down.)
                    Last edited by Duesseldwarf; 5th February 2005, 00:22.
                    [SIZE=1]Fly ZB - www.flymonarch.com
                    AGP-ABZ/BLK
                    BHX-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/IBZ/LEI/MAH/MJV/PMI/TFS
                    LGW-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GRX/LIS/TFS
                    LTN-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GIB/IBZ/LEI/LPA/PMI/MAH/TFS
                    MAN-ACE/AGP/ALC/BCN/FAO/LEI/MAH/PMI/TFS/XRY

Comment

• SHAMROCK321
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2004

Well you keep flying them because of the low fares. 2 of the 4 examples above were of no fault of Ryanair.

Comment

• LBARULES
                        Pointless flightaholic!
                        • May 2003

Might not have been their fault, but terrible customer service.

Comment

• captainben
                          • Feb 2004

easyJet, I've flown with them to Stansted, quite nice and cheap considering it was only a 99p fare! I've never flown Ryanair, but judging by what I've heard from people on here and other forums, I don't think I'd want to fly with Ryanair.

Comment

• RIPConcorde
                            EGPH
                            • Feb 2004

easyJet, although there was nothing wrong with my FR flights, except that the outbound crew could only speak really bad English. But that's me nit-picking I guess. Overall, though I prefer easyJet, I've enjoyed my flights more on easyJet, and they sell damn good flapjack.

Comment

• LBARULES
                              Pointless flightaholic!
                              • May 2003

If everything goes right, theres absolutely nothing wrong with Ryanair, a good efficient airline.

Comment

• MANAIRPORTMAD!!
                                Pea love
                                • May 2004

I've only flown Ryanair, it was fine for me! But I'm sure easyjet are just as good.
                                Check out my aviation website:
                                http://www.skylinerworld.co.uk

Aviation Facebook Group:
                                https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirportsAroundTheWorld/

Comment

• Duesseldwarf
                                  Professional Day-tripper
                                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by SHAMROCK321
                                  Well you keep flying them because of the low fares. 2 of the 4 examples above were of no fault of Ryanair.
                                  But come on, 2 out of 4? That's still not a very good customer service record for the airline that boasts that it gives the best customer service - and presumably this is only because they hammer out standard letters to all complaints within 7 days. They are probably not even letters, but emails - because they are free and stamps are not!! Seriously, do you believe that that is the best customer service an airline, or any service-providing company, can provide it's customers??? Doesn't exactly reek of good customer service now, does it? Honestly?

At the airline I work for, any bookings cancelled within 24 hours of having been made, are refunded in full - no questions asked, as long as it's within 24 hours.

Also, if the airline I work for has a schedule change, we do whatever is necessary to get hold of the passengers to inform them BEFORE they turn up at the airport at the wrong time or indeed the WRONG airport. That's just common decency really.

Even easyJet - if you cancel a booking with easyJet, you can keep the booking value in a credit file for future use.

There is absolutely no comparison between Ryanair and any other airline - just how Michael O'Leary wants it - no publicity is bad publicity in his eyes(apparently).

Oh, and one further observation - I have flown Ryanair on over 50 sectors in total and I tell you that it is only because of the cost, quite obviously. It certainly isn't due to the friendliness of the cabin crew - who on about 50% of the flights I have been on have been either rude or patronising and I'm not easy to offend. Although some of them did speak English right enough! :diablo:.

Lastly, can anyone out there explain the sense behind removing the seat pockets? It didn't stop me from leaving my rubbish behind on my last flight from Jerez - I fell asleep and my rubbish was stowed behind the seat tray. I didn't get the chance to put it in the rubbish bag - so I left it where it was - mainly out of protest of this idiotic decision, to be honest. The seats didn't recline and I believe that they are considering removing the window blinds too. If the window blinds are removed, that will have to be the clincher for me - I will not fly them again. There's no way I could stand to go on a two hour flight to Spain, for example, with the sun in my eyes throughout the flight.
                                  Last edited by Duesseldwarf; 4th February 2005, 23:15.
                                  [SIZE=1]Fly ZB - www.flymonarch.com
                                  AGP-ABZ/BLK
                                  BHX-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/IBZ/LEI/MAH/MJV/PMI/TFS
                                  LGW-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GRX/LIS/TFS
                                  LTN-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GIB/IBZ/LEI/LPA/PMI/MAH/TFS
                                  MAN-ACE/AGP/ALC/BCN/FAO/LEI/MAH/PMI/TFS/XRY

Comment

• Bmused55
                                    Aaahh Emu!
                                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Transat
                                    I picked Easyjet only because they fly airbus's
                                    how original
                                    Last edited by Bmused55; 5th February 2005, 01:23.
                                    Bmused55

My Blog
                                    My Designs

Comment

• Swift
                                      BAD2 WARTON
                                      • Jul 2004

Have used both, will not use Ryanair again they were terrible, couldnt find our onward fight to Graz from Stanstead even though I had the email in my hand they argued until it was to late, I wonder if they were just overbooked? Once it was to late ,they found our booking and just put us on the next flight.
                                      Steve Young - 'Youngy'.
                                      8th April 1969 - 24th July 2005.

Comment

• SHAMROCK321
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2004

Dusseldwarf if your not going to fly an airline because they dont have window blinds well I dont know what to say to you.
                                        I agree that perhaps Ryanair dont have the best customer service and there is definitley some things they could improve on but isnt that the way with every airline?
                                        Every airline could do somthing to improve there service. Ryanair have less than perfect customer service but have the lowest intra European fares where as most other airlines have better customer service but you pay slightly more for it.
                                        The way it is people are prepared to sacrifice the good customer service for the lower fares.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X