Will the A380 be a underpowered lame duck?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

In tradition with their rather underpowered A340 Airbus designed the A380-800 with 4x 330kN engines. The MTOW is 570 to 590 metric tons, which results in a weight/power ratio of 4.0/4.2 to 1. That will result in rather slow climbouts. Why didn't they use decent power e.g. 4x 400kN? Are they afraid to miss their fuel consumption targets? With that power/weight ratio I think we'll hear the old story about Airbuses holding up Boeings that could go faster.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Let's start again shall we !

Member for

21 years

Let's start again shall we !

Oh goody, is this going to be the five minute arguement, or the full day?.......why not have a 'yawn' Smilie?

Member for

20 years 9 months

I take the point that Distiller is making as I have had an interest in engine power but the technical aspects take a very secondary place to my general love of aircraft. That is why I buy magazines like Airliner World and not Flight International. Also I applied to join the Fleet Air Arm as a pilot but was turned down because of my eyesight and it was a bitter disapointment. But looking back on it I think if I had a job in Aviation all my life would I love aviation/aircraft as much as I do now? Although I know we have pilots etc on the forum, but I am speaking entirely for myself and this post is not intended to "Diss" anyone at all but just how I wonder what I would have felt about aircraft if I had been working with them for 36 years (again I stress I am only sppeaking for myself). :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

Photograhers will love it!!!!, always thought the 747 looks slow on landings due to its mass, sounds like the A380 will just "Hang there" !!!!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Photograhers will love it!!!!, always thought the 747 looks slow on landings due to its mass, sounds like the A380 will just "Hang there" !!!!

Not sure about that..I read it is meant to be faster on approach.

Manila Airport have banned the A380 for regular use as it will require a category E approach procedure... currently there is no E.
The A380 will new 50 seconds more seperation due to the speed that will be required over the threshold.

Manila airport report this would constitute to a loss of 9000 movements a year.

Searching for link to article now.

Edit1:
Ok, I have found this... but its not about the ban.
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/jun/25/yehey/metro/20040625met8.html

I swear I read somewhere it was banned for the time being.

Edit2: Ok.. .I think I must have dreamt that.
Everything I'm reading says the A380 will take off and land in less distance than a 747 (yeah right). Which would indicate a slower approach speed perhaps?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not sure about that..I read it is meant to be faster on approach.

Manila Airport have banned the A380 for regular use as it will require a category E approach procedure... currently there is no E.
The A380 will new 50 seconds more seperation due to the speed that will be required over the threshold.

Manila airport report this would constitute to a loss of 9000 movements a year.

Searching for link to article now.

Edit1:
Ok, I have found this... but its not about the ban.
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/jun/25/yehey/metro/20040625met8.html

I swear I read somewhere it was banned for the time being.

Edit2: Ok.. .I think I must have dreamt that.
Everything I'm reading says the A380 will take off and land in less distance than a 747 (yeah right). Which would indicate a slower approach speed perhaps?

Yes there is an E category, several american military types come under it so I believe.

Landing distance is controlled by more things than approach speed (number of braked wheels, brake type, weight, etc, etc).

A346 goes up very well thank you.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yes there is an E category, several american military types come under it so I believe.

Landing distance is controlled by more things than approach speed (number of braked wheels, brake type, weight, etc, etc).

A346 goes up very well thank you.

there was no mention of the A346 here?!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Well, here's one Boeing being left standing by an A330...we were doing M0.80, I would guess he was doing about M0.84-0.85 by the speed he pulled ahead of us.

ahh, but he's also higher than you ;) No fair.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Nice photo Moondance

Member for

21 years

ahh, but he's also higher than you ;) No fair.

RVSM=2000 ft. vertical separation i.e. FL360 v FL380, next to nothing!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are you on the 737, Moondance?

Member for

24 years 3 months

there was no mention of the A346 here?!

A340 performance as discussed in the original post.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Approach Category E is for aircraft who have an approach speed greater than 166 knots. I would say that the SR-71 fell into that group but that's only a guess.

I would venture to think that the biggest ATC seperation requirement for the A380 wouldn't be due to it's approach speeds but for wake turbulance avoidance. That monster is going to kick up some serious vortices.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would think that the A380 would be in the same categorie as the C-5, or the Tu-225 or something. I'm just speculating.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I've never heard of Tu-225 George, do you mean the An-225????????

Member for

20 years 6 months

A340 performance as discussed in the original post.

Was used as reference I beleive.
But it is true... the A346 might perform fine for VS and yourself but its not like what Airbus promised and still promises. Iberia have noted this, CX have noted this, SAA have noted this.

Why don't Airbus just review the figures they advertise so that they match the actual performance?

Member for

24 years 3 months

A bit off-topic, so apologies. In Moondance's photo there appears to be three vapour trails coming from the aircraft. Obviously the two outer ones are from the engines, but does anyone know what causes the one that appears to be coming from the fuselage? Maybe they fired up the APU to give it that little extra kick!!!

Member for

20 years 6 months

The APU provides no thrust what so ever.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was meant to be a joke, I have just not figured out how to use the emoticons yet. (I thought it was kinda humorous anyway).

Member for

20 years 6 months

I see