Qatar looking for up to 60 7E7's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Got this in an e-mail from "Bob".

Article was in thew Wall Street Journal:

The head of Qatar Airlines said Tuesday the airline is talking to Boeing Co. (BA) about buying up to 60 7E7 aircraft.

Qatar Airlines' Chief Executive Akbar Al Baker told Dow Jones Newswires he hopes to finalize the order by the time of the Paris air show in June.

Speaking on the sidelines of the unveiling of the new Airbus (ABI.YY) A380 superjumbo, the executive said that up to now Qatar Airways only operates Airbus jets.

"We hope to announce before the airshow if everything falls in place," said Al Baker.

The executive said the orders will likely include options, "but Qatar Airways always exercises its options."

Erm.... well.... Crikey! :eek:

Original post

Member for

21 years

Interesting, Qatar have been looking ro an A300 replacement for a while. Most people would have expected the A350 to get the job due to fleet commonality etc, however if the price is right the airline will always go for it, as we have seen recently with Etihad.

Good to see Boeing fighting back in the strategic orders arena, however the Fat Lady has not yet sung ;)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hmmm - let's not discount the possibility that this is a tactic designed to put pressure on Airbus.

Member for

19 years 6 months

If such an order was to materialize, that would be a great win for Boeing and its 787. I wonder if Airbus has offered its A350 (I'm sure it has) in response to Boeing's offer. May the best jet win!

Member for

19 years 7 months

60's a real good order. Good luck to Boeing.

DME

Member for

19 years 9 months

any official word by boeing regarding the ongoing discussions i believe it was the qatar order and the chinese order that boeing had factored in when they made the 200 orders by year end GOAL

Member for

20 years 5 months

any official word by boeing regarding the ongoing discussions i believe it was the qatar order and the chinese order that boeing had factored in when they made the 200 orders by year end GOAL

Boeing generaly do not say much about any kind of order until they either have a sign LOI (Letter of Intent) or a firmed up order.

Such an order from Qatar would certainly fly (no pun intended) in the fact of Airbus who beleive they have the better package with the A350.

As Qatar are an all-airbus operation, I personaly can't see this realy happening. As Grey Area said... it could well be a smoke screen to entice Airbus to offer a better price.

Member for

20 years 10 months

I could see China placing an order for 60, but not Qatar.

No way Airbus will get outbid on an order from a loyal customer...they will cut their price down 80% if they have to, and they probably will.

Member for

20 years 5 months

What happened to Qatar only wanting a maximum fleet of ~80 Aircraft?

Apparently they've seen an explosive growth in PAX numbers