Guardian leader: air travel safety is excellent

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Good leader comment from the Guardian newspaper today:

"According to figures released yesterday by Flight International there were no deaths at all last year involving large jets registered in Europe, North America and Australasia. Nor were there any the year before, nor the year before that. Outside these areas there were five fatal accidents last year involving big jets registered in Africa and Asia. Overall, including cargo aircraft, 466 people died. Every death is a tragedy but this is the lowest for 20 years despite a huge increase in flying. The number of deaths per million flights is only a third of what it was 20 years ago"

The article in full:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1387269,00.html

I think all major manufactures and most airlines should be recognised and congratulated in their efforts to make air travel such a safe affair. If only other modes of transport were subject to the intense safety checks, regulations and tests airliners are put through...

Well done to all concerned! :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

There was a mid-air collision between a Tu154 and a Tu134 in Russia (this side of the Ural). Does that not count as Europe anymore?

Still, good to hear that flying is becoming even more safer!

Member for

20 years 6 months

There was a mid-air collision between a Tu154 and a Tu134 in Russia (this side of the Ural). Does that not count as Europe anymore?

Still, good to hear that flying is becoming even more safer!

Depends what country they were registered in.

The former soviet block is littered with independant countries.. none of which are EU members

Member for

21 years

large jets registered in Europe, North America and Australasia

Rather an ambiguous statement. Whats a "large jet" and as Peter asked, what is "Europe" defined as?

Member for

20 years 6 months

large jets registered in Europe, North America and Australasia

Rather an ambiguous statement. Whats a "large jet" and as Peter asked, what is "Europe" defined as?

Europe = Member States of the EU

Large Jet = I'd say anything larger than regionals. Say 737's upwards

Member for

21 years

Europe = Member States of the EU

Large Jet = I'd say anything larger than regionals. Say 737's upwards

So Switzerland and Norway are not in Europe?

My point is its entirely open to interpretation what he is saying. Lies, damn lies, and statistics and all that ;)

Member for

20 years 6 months

So Switzerland and Norway are not in Europe?

My point is its entirely open to interpretation what he is saying. Lies, damn lies, and statistics and all that ;)

lol