Laugh For The Weekend

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

JONNY IN JET 'NEAR MISS'

England rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson and club team-mates have been involved in a mid-air near miss, his bosses have said.

The fly-half was on board an easyJet flight when staff say they came so close to a jumbo jet they could see the other passengers.

Wilkinson, 25, was with Newcastle Falcons players and management on their way to France for a cup game at the time of the incident.

Denials of a near miss by an easyJet spokeswoman were knocked down by club coach and former England captain Rob Andrew.

He told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle: "How the two planes missed I'll never know, but it confirms my belief in the destiny of the club.

"The other plane was a big passenger one. It was so close I could see the heads of the individual passengers through its cabin windows."

No near miss report has been filed with the Civil Aviation Authority and any would need to be done so within four days of Thursday morning's flight.

An easyJet spokeswoman said: "Often you may see other aircraft, which are frequently larger, and may seem a lot closer than they are.

"The fact is that no near miss report has been filed because there was no incident."

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13279288,00.html

I didnt know we were in April yet? How can a respectable company like Sky do a report like this, its just laughable.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Near Miss" - If two aircraft nearly miss one another, surely this can only mean on thing - they collided?

Member for

20 years 2 months

A read this before in the Chronicle,
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/eveningchronicle/eveningchronicle/tm_objectid=15051086%26method=full%26siteid=50081%26headline=rugby%2dstars%2din%2dair%2ddrama-name_page.html
Rugby stars in air drama Jan 7 2005

By Lisa Hutchinson, The Evening Chronicle

A plane carrying Jonny Wilkinson and his team-mates had a near miss, rugby officials claimed today.

Newcastle Falcons players and management were on board the easyJet flight when they say they came so close to another plane they could see the passengers on the other aircraft.

Falcons coach and former England captain Rob Andrew and club owner Dave Thompson witnessed the incident as they headed to their Heineken Cup game in France.

Andrew and Thompson were at the front of the plane when they claim to have seen the other passenger aircraft cross their flight path.

The Falcons team, including England star Wilkinson, were on board the easyJet 6401 flight, which took off from Newcastle at 9.40am yesterday and arrived at 12.45pm, Continental time, at Barcelona.

But the Falcons' officials did not tell of their scare until they got to their hotel across the border in France where they were preparing to take on Perpignan in the Heineken Cup game.

Andrew said: "The other plane was a big passenger one and it was so close I could see the heads of the individual passengers through its cabin windows.

"How the two planes missed I'll never know, but it confirms my belief in the destiny of this club.

"I think Dave and I were the only two passengers to see what happened - and the last thing we wanted to do was make a fuss and cause a panic, which would've been the worst possible thing we could have done in the circumstances."

Thompson, talking from his hotel in France, said: "We're lucky to be here after the near-miss we had on the flight coming over.

"I was sitting up near the front of the plane on the left-hand side with Rob when I looked out of the window and saw another plane flying across our flight path from the left.

"It wasn't a case of the other plane being miles away, as is often the case, as it was alarmingly close and I was certain we were going to hit - although neither plane took any evasive action.

"Fortunately, we missed and I turned to Rob and asked if he'd seen that and he replied `Yes, but I don't really believe it'."

Bill Lapsley, Newcastle Airport duty manager, said: "Newcastle air traffic control has no knowledge of a near-miss, but if there was a near-miss it would be between the aircraft crew and the air traffic control who were in control of that space at the time, who then file a report to the Civil Aviation Authority to carry out an investigation."

Sarah Pritchett, a spokeswoman for easyJet, said: "We have no record of an incident happening yesterday in the Newbury area. It could be that in this area there's a lot of air traffic from Heathrow and a lot of activity going on. However, the planes are flying within the legal limit. If there'd been an incident it would've been reported to the CAA."

Donna Casey, for the National Air Traffic Services, which controls all aircraft within UK airspace, said: "There was no report of an incident in the Newbury area yesterday. Aircraft have to be separated by 1,000ft vertically and three miles in front or behind another aircraft.

"It's often difficult for passengers to judge how close a plane is when they're up in the air."

Zoe Beaney, spokeswoman for the CAA, said: "There hasn't been a file reported about an incident of this nature to us. However, the pilot or controllers have up to 96 hours to file such a report".

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Near Miss" - If two aircraft nearly miss one another, surely this can only mean on thing - they collided?

My thoughts exactly...

Member for

20 years 2 months

Dont belive a thing you read or see on Sky News.Most of it is propaganda crap.

Member for

19 years 7 months

LBARULES,

I can't see where it says April?

Maybe they were on the apron when they seen the jumbo, that's why no Airporx was issued. haha

DME