Dodgy Journalism

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

We all complain when we read an inaccurate aviation story in the press. Perhaps there are some users of this site for real. :)
http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html#
mmitch.

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

he he, heres mine:

Melbourne passengers told of their horrific terror aboard a Sydney bound Ansett flight which was enforced to return to Canberra yesterday due to large bits falling off.

Some passengers were very angry that the 309 passengers were told few details of the catastrophe.

They said the plane 'Dropped out of the sky like a mouse chasing a piece of cheese' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing A320 landed.

Passenger Mr Hennigans last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'I was completely terrified until the wheels touched the ground', the passenger said

Member for

19 years 5 months

lol.

heres mine:

Sydney passengers told of their terrible dreadful fear aboard a Canberra bound Ansett flight which was politely asked to return to Darwin yesterday due to toilets smelling bad.

Some passengers were disappointed that the 168 passengers were told few details of the unpleasant incident.

They said the plane 'Porpoised like a dolphin chasing small fish' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Britten-Norman 767 landed.

Passenger Mr Tahiti last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'The fire from the landing gear made the emergency slide explode', the passenger said.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I like it...
;)

"Perth passengers told of their scared panicked dread aboard a Sydney bound Virgin Blue flight which was advised it was in the best interests of the plane to return to Brisbane yesterday due to insufficient stewardess cleavage.

Some passengers were very angry that the 247 passengers were told few details of the unpleasant incident.

They said the plane 'seemed normal, but everyone knew it was possessed by the devil' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing Concorde landed.

Passenger Ms L Dover last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'It's a good thing I was wearing brown underwear', the passenger said."

Member for

20 years 6 months

I like how everyone have latched onto the media's fame for getting aircraft types wrong... he he

Member for

20 years 9 months

love it :D

Australian passengers told of their horrific terror aboard a Adelaide bound Qantas flight which was enforced to return to Sydney yesterday due to large bits falling off.

Some passengers were terrified that the 943 passengers were told few details of the catastrophe.

They said the plane 'Dropped out of the sky like a mouse chasing a piece of cheese' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Antonov IL-96 landed.

Passenger we can't show you his name, but he is a very scared man last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'The hostess shoved me out of the plane. I landed right on the concrete', the passenger :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

My favourite media story was a local paper when Bradford City were due to go to Latvia in their 80R-Forty Two, which crash landed at Stansted.

It turns out the ATR-42 had an engine problem and returned to Stansted as a precaution. The replacement aircraft happened to be a Privatair BBJ!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Well just in todays Evening Herald we had reports of a massive fireball catasrphe being averted in Dublin on Stephen's day when another Aer Lingus A330 rolled away detacthing the fuel hose and spilling 45000 litres of kerosene all over the place.
Im begining to think those A330 are jinxked.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thats all very funny, but sometimes its not the journalists at fault but the people above who start spinning the story, and if a passenger tells you, "Everyone screamed when the engine fell off" who are you going to believe the passenger or the airline that says, "everyone remained calm."
And then when you do have a story to run you try and get the facts backed up by the airline. If you guys can write a more accurate aviation story that gets readers buying a newspaper, then be my guest.

Member for

20 years 6 months

he he. Is it just the Aussies that get their types wrong???

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thats all very funny, but sometimes its not the journalists at fault but the people above who start spinning the story, and if a passenger tells you, "Everyone screamed when the engine fell off" who are you going to believe the passenger or the airline that says, "everyone remained calm."
And then when you do have a story to run you try and get the facts backed up by the airline. If you guys can write a more accurate aviation story that gets readers buying a newspaper, then be my guest.

Sensation sells.

A newspaper that has the headline "Passengers in terror ordeal in the skies" would sell better than one with the headline "Minor hiccup on flight, all safe".

The media deliberately sensationalises things... saying 300 pax were at "risk" is better than 200.

Sometimes I've read a report on an incident from two different papers, one paints a picture of a life or death ordeal, the other a simple diversion.

In other words, the press deliberatly get things "wrong" or "stretch" the truth to sell more.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Journalists never tell the truth. All they care about is getting a bonus for a front page jobby.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Does anybody really buy a newspaper for the headline? I have always bought the same newspapers regardless. I have on occasion stopped buying one because of drivel. :(
mmitch.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Does anybody really buy a newspaper for the headline? I have always bought the same newspapers regardless. I have on occasion stopped buying one because of drivel. :(
mmitch.

there are a lot of people who will pick up a paper because of whats written in bold letters on the front page.

Sensationalism sells, pure and simple

Member for

24 years 3 months

This what i expect from Indian media...

" Alliance Air Boeing 320 misses collision:

An Alliance Air Boeing 320 missed a near collision with a cow on New Delhis main runway. The cow was later taken in for interogation and put in jail under POTA (Prevention Of Terrorism Act) with strict orders for only Grade C hay with the worst fertilizers possible. All passengers were safe and only scuffled with minor injuries. "Thank god the cow is safe, its a sacred animal, i wouldhave strangled the pilot if he had killed the cow" said one passnger while disembarking. The cow is in the process of taking legal action"

in short i hate Indian medias ignorace in aviation news. bah!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Journalists never tell the truth. All they care about is getting a bonus for a front page jobby.

Bonus! - I wish, journalism is one of the worst paid professions around and we get dragged through the dirt by our employers. Unfortunately Bmused55 is spot on, sensationalism does sell, I have to be honest I am not over keen, thats why I am looking for a career change, fast.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Bonus! - I wish, journalism is one of the worst paid professions around and we get dragged through the dirt by our employers. Unfortunately Bmused55 is spot on, sensationalism does sell, I have to be honest I am not over keen, thats why I am looking for a career change, fast.

You need a NUJ in the right direction... :D

Member for

19 years 4 months

Not really aviation, but...

I remember back in my army days, while serving as a peackeeper in Kosovo, one of our patrols arrested a guy for burning a little girl with a cigarette!! On the way back to the camp something else happened that needed to be handled, and one of the soldiers handcuffed the arrested man (yes...man, not boy or kid!!) to a fence for about 3mins to get it all sorted out.
Well, the handcuffed man made a big uproar in the press about how he had been treated like a dog, and what do you know...a couple of weeks later he had a double page in one of the biggest newspapers in Norway, with the headline :"I have forgiven my Norwegian molesters" or something to that effect.

Really makes you believe in what you are doing as a peacekeeper...and establishes a special bond between our rifle company and the press!!

I just get so mad when I think about it...just had to get it off my chest...sorry

Member for

20 years 6 months

Not really aviation, but...

I remember back in my army days, while serving as a peackeeper in Kosovo, one of our patrols arrested a guy for burning a little girl with a cigarette!! On the way back to the camp something else happened that needed to be handled, and one of the soldiers handcuffed the arrested man (yes...man, not boy or kid!!) to a fence for about 3mins to get it all sorted out.
Well, the handcuffed man made a big uproar in the press about how he had been treated like a dog, and what do you know...a couple of weeks later he had a double page in one of the biggest newspapers in Norway, with the headline :"I have forgiven my Norwegian molesters" or something to that effect.

Really makes you believe in what you are doing as a peacekeeper...and establishes a special bond between our rifle company and the press!!

I just get so mad when I think about it...just had to get it off my chest...sorry

A prime example of my point in case.

thanks for sharing

Member for

20 years 6 months

And another prime example of blowing things out of proportion:

From PAK Tribune

PIA passenger plane en-route from London to Islamabad made a narrow escape from deadly accident while landing here amid the reports that heavy damage has been caused to the right engine of the aircraft.

PIA London-Islamabad Jumbo 747-300 flight PK 786 as per routine schedule landed at Islamabad on Monday at 9.40 morning. During the course of landing, right side engine of the plane hit the runway after the aircraft lost its balance. About 430 passengers and 16 plane crew were on board. They received severe jerks and damage was caused to engine of craft.

The passengers began reciting prayers loudly with panic gripping them. However captain Anjum controlled the plane and landed it in parking area safely.

PIA has sent a high-level inquiry committee from Karachi to Islamabad to probe into the matter soon after receipt of the reports on incident. Committee will finalise its report and submit it to the higher authorities today.

The sources said that pilot captain Anjum had to face difficulties while landing the flight due to fault in landing system. When the flight entered into airspace of Islamabad, Pilot Anjum took review of landing system and discovered fault therewith. He made aerial round of airport to control the system, which however could not be operated.

Sources told that pilot succeeded in landing the plane, however, the engine rammed into runway due to plane tilt towards right side. The pilot in no time maintained the balance and the plane made hairbreadth escape from fatal accident.

Now it could have been reported as a "Minor engine strike, no one seriously injured" but that just wouldn't get enough attention would it.

Member for

19 years 5 months

http://paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=89088

From the following artical. "However captain Anjum controlled the plane and landed it in parking area safely".

PIA passenger plane en-route from London to Islamabad made a narrow escape from deadly accident while landing here amid the reports that heavy damage has been caused to the right engine of the aircraft.

PIA London-Islamabad Jumbo 747-300 flight PK 786 as per routine schedule landed at Islamabad on Monday at 9.40 morning. During the course of landing, right side engine of the plane hit the runway after the aircraft lost its balance. About 430 passengers and 16 plane crew were on board. They received severe jerks and damage was caused to engine of craft.

The passengers began reciting prayers loudly with panic gripping them. However captain Anjum controlled the plane and landed it in parking area safely.

PIA has sent a high-level inquiry committee from Karachi to Islamabad to probe into the matter soon after receipt of the reports on incident. Committee will finalise its report and submit it to the higher authorities today.

The sources said that pilot captain Anjum had to face difficulties while landing the flight due to fault in landing system. When the flight entered into airspace of Islamabad, Pilot Anjum took review of landing system and discovered fault therewith. He made aerial round of airport to control the system, which however could not be operated.

Sources told that pilot succeeded in landing the plane, however, the engine rammed into runway due to plane tilt towards right side. The pilot in no time maintained the balance and the plane made hairbreadth escape from fatal accident.

http://paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=89088