North Carolina Ilyushin IL62

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

I pass through Laurinburg NC at least once a year and it still puzzles me as to why this beast ended up here?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Film Prop?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Film Prop?

I've heard that mentioned but can't recall it in any film :)

P.S. It was scanned from prints.

Member for

20 years 6 months

what puzzles me is why has it got British Aerospace VC-10 painted on it... and whats with the added doors?

Member for

20 years

There was an explanation to this in an old issue of Airliners Magazine, either in a Q&A or maybe it was a full article on Laurinburg and the various planes stored there. I don't have access to my "library" now being 500 kms away from home, but maybe somebody else has?

The "British Aerospace VC-10" (sic) titles were put there for a film though (maybe a made-for-TV film?), and that the various doors were mounted on the fuselage for training purposes.

If I'm not mistaken, Air France 707-328C F-BHSP is at the same location. :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

You know... staring at those pictures... its feels like the plane is longing to fly again.
Sounds funny I know... but I just get this feeling of... well... sadness.

Member for

19 years 8 months

You know... staring at those pictures... its feels like the plane is longing to fly again.

I sort of love/hate visiting these aircraft 'scrapyards,' hate the fact that the a/c wont be flying ever again but love the gems that sometimes are stored there, like the IL-62.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Here's more........

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

So sad... good old workhorses....
Still they've served their purpose... and had a long life doing so.

Time to rest..... in pieces.

Member for

20 years

Yep, they look familiar from that article in Airliners I mentioned.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Il-62 was indeed used as VC-10 mock up in a TV shoot. And wasn't this very subject covered in a thread here recently Mr Dig ? :rolleyes:

Of course the question still remains unanswered as to why there's a shed load of American aviation museums that aren't interested in better preserving a genuine Soviet era classic ?

Member for

20 years 6 months

They look good. Never seen one of those.

Member for

20 years 6 months

thinking about it, the Il 32 realy is just a copy of the VC-10.

Member for

20 years

thinking about it, the Il 32 realy is just a copy of the VC-10.

It might look like that externally, although the IL-62 is larger. Internally, they differ quite a lot technologically. It was fashion at the time to construct T-tailed aircraft - BAC 1-11, DC-9, TU-134, B727 to name a few - and the B727 is indeed an "copy" of the Trident as it flew already in 1962. Thus the A340 must then be a copy of the IL-86... what I'm trying to say is that fads come and go in the aeronautical design scene. A few years ago, winglets were the most important feature and before that, Trijets were the thing of the day.

Smaller/medium size Soviet airliners were designed with rear engines and T-tails because of the rough, and sometimes unpaved, runways throughout the USSR. Wing mounted engines would fail immediately in those conditions. That's why they've all got massive landing gears, huge wings with negative dihedral and rear mounted engines - just look at the TU-134, Yak-40, Yak-42, TU-154 and so on. They withstand almost anything. Try landing on a gravel runway in Siberia with an A320... :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

It might look like that externally, although the IL-62 is larger. Internally, they differ quite a lot technologically. It was fashion at the time to construct T-tailed aircraft - BAC 1-11, DC-9, TU-134, B727 to name a few - and the B727 is indeed an "copy" of the Trident as it flew already in 1962. Thus the A340 must then be a copy of the IL-86... what I'm trying to say is that fads come and go in the aeronautical design scene. A few years ago, winglets were the most important feature and before that, Trijets were the thing of the day.

Smaller/medium size Soviet airliners were designed with rear engines and T-tails because of the rough, and sometimes unpaved, runways throughout the USSR. Wing mounted engines would fail immediately in those conditions. That's why they've all got massive landing gears, huge wings with negative dihedral and rear mounted engines - just look at the TU-134, Yak-40, Yak-42, TU-154 and so on. They withstand almost anything. Try landing on a gravel runway in Siberia with an A320... :D

perhaps not an A320.. the a 737 can be landed there ;)

Infact Alaska Airlines have been straining to find a replacement for their 732s

Member for

20 years

perhaps not an A320.. the a 737 can be landed there ;)

Infact Alaska Airlines have been straining to find a replacement for their 732s

Oh yeah, the gravel kit equipped 737-200 Combi... the sexiest 737 ever made! But those 737's "cheat" as they have a pneumatic outlet fitted below the engine inlets, blowing away loose gravel and also a protective plate mounted just aft of the nose wheels, a la C-130 Hercules. Nevertheless, it's my favourite 737! :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Oh yeah, the gravel kit equipped 737-200 Combi... the sexiest 737 ever made! But those 737's "cheat" as they have a pneumatic outlet fitted below the engine inlets, blowing away loose gravel and also a protective plate mounted just aft of the nose wheels, a la C-130 Hercules. Nevertheless, it's my favourite 737! :D

Fair enough :)