United Flight 93 Memorial Pictures

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

I spent the weekend visiting my brother and took the opportunity to stop at the United Flight 93 memorial in Pennsylvania. The crash site is just north of the small town of Shanksville and is along the edge of a strip mine. It's pretty rural and the weather was brutally cold on the day that I visited.

So far there is only a temporary memorial set up as they finalize the plans for the final design as well as aquire the land they want (roughly 2000+ acres). There is a small shack that is manned by 1 volunteer who does a 4 hour shift. Given that the shack isn't heated 4 hours must feel an eternity.

The volunteers are local residents which allows visiters to get a better perspective on the location and events of 9/11/01.

I wish I could have taken more pictures but given the temperature and that the wind was howling over the rolling hills I spent as much time as I could outside before I started to numb. I'll try to break down the pictures and give some explanations where fitting.

These are pictures of the shack with the memorial "wall" to the right. The wall is a tall fence where visitors and residents have attached memento over the last few years.

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

On the other side of the shack are a number of benches that have the names of the crew and passengers.

Member for

20 years 11 months

You can see how windy it was by looking at the flags.

The Memorial Wall.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Around the grounds are several stone plaques left by people/groups.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Member for

20 years 11 months

The temporary memorial is actually a ways away from the impact site. Currently the impact site is about 100 yards or more away and surrounded by a fence. The only people allowed on those grounds are family members of those that lost their lives on 9/11.

The impact site is in the center of the picture beyond the small yellow sign.

Member for

20 years 11 months

If you look closely you can see a small American flag that is hanging on the fence surrounding the impact site. The picture wast taken facing south/east southeast. I indicated the United 757 flight path as it decended from the west.

There is a large rolling hill to the right out of sight from the picture. You can see some of it in the second picture I posted of the shack. The 757 was actually inverted as it crested this hill and impacted the earth at about a 45 degree attitude.

On the far west side of the hill is a rural road with homes that runs north/south and has homes along it. A woman was home at the time and saw the 757 fly overhead as it headed east bound. It was low enough that she could easily see the windows and had to cover her ears due to the noise of the engines.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Here I've zoomed in to give a better picture of the flag marking the impact site.

The momentum of the impact threw the resulting fireball eastward towards the line of trees along the edge of the field. You can see that even now, 3 years later, the trees are still scarred from the fire that engulfed them.

Member for

20 years 11 months

That's all I've got.

It's a surreal place. It's nice to have even the temporary memorial setup as well as having the nice local residents to take time to staff the shack each day for those of us that make the journey into rural Pennsylvania. I'm planning on going back over the next few years as the final memorial is erected but I hope to do that on a day where the temperature is at least above freezing. I'm just now starting to get feeling back in my toes. ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Very touching!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes it is touching. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Member for

20 years 6 months

A nice display of rememberance there. Thanks for sharing-very touching.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Very touching. Thanks for sharing with us.

Member for

20 years 11 months

What a fantastic memorial, very touching.

Member for

20 years 11 months

A very poignant reminder of the turbulent times in which we now live, God bless each and everyone of those brave souls

Member for

20 years 2 months

Yes a very moving set of pictures,lets hope it never happens again

Member for

19 years 8 months

It's sad looking at that, let them RIP, and the evil people who caused it burn in hell.

DME

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'm glad I could share this with those of you on the other side of the pond.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for sharing those pictures, i am definitely very touched and hope they all RIP.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Indeed, thanks for sharing!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes indeed, it's very interesting and not something that's been widely reported over here.