Con Air - Read on

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

I was reading the Scottish Daily Mirror tonight and I couldn't believe what I was reading. For all you wanna be pilots who find training for your PPL expensive, A prisoner inside Invernesses Porterfield Prison has been studying for his PPL - AT TAXPAYERS EXPENSE!!! I would love to start flight training for my PPL, but taxpayers won't pay for me. What are your thoughts?

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Dear God!

Is it any wonder folk re offend... when they get 3 square a day, TV, warmth and a fooking PPL... for free.

This has certainly ticked me off rather badly. Here I am struggling to make ends meet and see if I can possibly save for a PPL and this git is getting it for free!
I think I am gonna write a letter... yes...... to my local mp. Chancellor Gordon Brown of all people!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not sure how this applies to commercial aviation, but the way I read the story in another paper was...........

The individual involved was already training for their PPL before being jailed. This individual was granted permission, presumably by the prison authorities, to continue studying their ground school subjects with visitors taking in the various books/materials required. There was no indication that the individual was/is receiving flying training while in jail.

It appears this individual's situation was mentioned in a report on a particular prison.

No doubt the real story is out there somewhere.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Makes you wonder what crime he's comitted,to be on the way to becoming a pilot you must have at least a modicum of intelligence

Member for

20 years 11 months

I was reading the Scottish Daily Mirror tonight and I couldn't believe what I was reading. For all you wanna be pilots who find training for your PPL expensive, A prisoner inside Invernesses Porterfield Prison has been studying for his PPL - AT TAXPAYERS EXPENSE!!! I would love to start flight training for my PPL, but taxpayers won't pay for me. What are your thoughts?

I don't really see what the big deal is as all he's doing is studying. He probably has one or two PPL books and is reading through them preparing to take a written or something. How much could that really be costing the taxpayers? It's not as if he has a C152 within the walls of the prison and he's taking lessons from a flight instructor.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I don't really see what the big deal is as all he's doing is studying. He probably has one or two PPL books and is reading through them preparing to take a written or something. How much could that really be costing the taxpayers? It's not as if he has a C152 within the walls of the prison and he's taking lessons from a flight instructor.

perhaps not, but the taxpayer "could" be paying for his exams?

Member for

20 years 11 months

Well they got to do something within those walls so it's good to see someone trying to learn something. I know our penal system here permits inmates to earn their high school diploma or other trades when they are incarcerated with the hopes that they'll do some good when released. I honestly don't see a few books being a finanical burden on the tax system.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Well they got to do something within those walls so it's good to see someone trying to learn something. I know our penal system here permits inmates to earn their high school diploma or other trades when they are incarcerated with the hopes that they'll do some good when released. I honestly don't see a few books being a finanical burden on the tax system.

not so much a burden but an insult.

For the likes of me, unable to afford a PPL.

Member for

19 years 10 months

likewise me asweel, i cant afford my PPL either

Member for

24 years 3 months

Er Guys,

As WD sais, he is only studying for the PPl exams. No one is paying for his flying.

I bet he has a few flying books and the media has blown all things out of context.

Now, if he was allowed to fly on the tax payers money, that would be a different story.

Member for

24 years 3 months

likewise me asweel, i cant afford my PPL either

But can you afford the books to study for one ?

Years ago I couldn't afford a car, but I could afford the Highway Code and theory books.

Convicts study allsorts of things whilst doing their porridge, look at the case of the infamous Glasgow nutcase Frankie Boyle who studied fine art and sculpture and is now a reformed and renowned player in that particular field.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Now, if he was allowed to fly on the tax payers money, that would be a different story.

Then there would be a lot of professional pilot hopefuls breaking the law for financial break on training. :)

Member for

21 years

I was reading the Scottish Daily Mirror

The standard of newspaper journalism in the UK is so bad (if in doubt, embellish/invent a story, rather than rigorously corroborate it) that, if it is published, it is almost certainly untrue.
There is possibly a grain of truth in the story, but just look at the way any UK press organisation covers aviation, and the story is, at best an exaggeration, at worst, a lie.