GLA's T2 is a joke

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Having experienced the portacabin that is Terminal 2 at GLA, I must say I'm amused and appauled.

You have to walk right to the end of the original terminal, go outside and enter what is simply a glorified portacabin. Note, there is no internal access... you MUST walk outside.

The floor is hollow beneath you and just does not feel solid. The overhead flourescent lighting gives you a headache and the place smells damp. (That may have something to do with the rain that morning and the fact that the floor is made of carpet tiles)

Once you check in, you have to hike back outside, into the main terminal and to the other end to reach departures. Not very amusing when you have young children in tow (Not mine, a member of our party's)

I do sincerely hope this portacabin is a temp solution!

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

A covered moving walkway is under construction between T2 and T1, not ready yet though.

Calling it a porta cabin is a bit lame, when most of the rest of us call it a "tin shed". ;) It's not a real terminal just an overspill area aimed at low cost operators.

I'm not surprised the floor doesn't feel strong beneath you if it's "made of carpet tiles". I'll have them put some sturdy wooden boards down right away (lol). :D

Member for

19 years 5 months

I do sincerely hope this portacabin is a temp solution!

It is

Member for

20 years 5 months

thats good to hear

Member for

19 years 5 months

The Evening TImes published a pic a week or so ago showing the designs for the covered connection area between the main building and T2. It is based around the Arch Style Front that was originally in place at GLA when it first opened.

Member for

19 years 7 months

I never knew that it was classed as a 2nd terminal. I take you mean the portacabin you wait in before you depart on the Easyjet flights?

Does Glasgow need a 2nd Terminal? What is the building work that is going on just now?

DME

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Evening TImes published a pic a week or so ago showing the designs for the covered connection area between the main building and T2. It is based around the Arch Style Front that was originally in place at GLA when it first opened.

It actually takes it's architectural inspiration form the archway over the terminal at the former Renfrew Airport. :D

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

I've flown EZY from GLA on a number of occasions but wasn't aware that their check-in area actually constituted a terminal, as you actually have to enter the main building after check-in.

Member for

19 years 7 months

I've flown EZY from GLA on a number of occasions but wasn't aware that their check-in area actually constituted a terminal, as you actually have to enter the main building after check-in.

Yeah I know. Possibly an extension would be more like it.

DME

Member for

19 years 5 months

It has had a 12million extenshion

Member for

19 years 4 months

This "Joke" has already handled over 1 million pax :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Willingly? :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Oh dear, that's 1million passengers being given a bad impression of GLA?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Oh dear, that's 1million passengers being given a bad impression of GLA?

Nope, I have talkedto alotof people who have used T2 and where impresed with Scotland's only 2nd terminal. :D :p

Member for

20 years 1 month

Nope, I have talkedto alotof people who have used T2 and where impresed with Scotland's only 2nd terminal. :D :p

Doesn't sound too great from Bmused's description. :confused:
Would be ashamed to class it as a terminal if, once you've checked-in there, you have to trek back to the main building for the flight.

Member for

19 years 10 months

A bit of deja vue here?.. :mad: :mad:

Member for

19 years 10 months

It actually takes it's architectural inspiration form the archway over the terminal at the former Renfrew Airport. :D

Hey.... Thats my old Austin A90! ;)

Member for

19 years 5 months

You sure - that was taken at GLA. ;)

Seriously, at the moment the T2 area at GLA is an expansion of the old ST Andrew's building. Future Plans have shown that it may well be expanded Eastwards to the area where the Cargo Sheds and the BAMG Hanger is.

Currently the SPT Travel Centre housed at the entrance/exit from Domestic Arrivals is being relocated away from the exit area to allow work to start on the connection between the main building and the T2 check In facility.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yeah, back in the days when you could park outside the door and do a bit of spotting leaving the keys in the ignition and your wallet on the dashboard ! :p

Member for

20 years 5 months

Yeah, back in the days when you could park outside the door and do a bit of spotting leaving the keys in the ignition and your wallet on the dashboard ! :p

Err, you could never do that in glasgow... lol ;) :diablo:

Member for

19 years 4 months

How about the doubters actually come and try T2 before they comment? I used it during the peak Summer months and found it to be very nice and efficient. Whats the big deal about being outside for a few seconds? T2 handles pax that otherwise would be putting lots of strain on the main terminal.

Once out of T2 its a short walk back to the main terminal where you can relax or do a bit of shopping before your flight. It was enjoyable for me anyway.