2003 in commercial aviation: Your personal highlights?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well it would be no understatement to say 2003 has been an eventful year in commercial aviation. Whether it was the celebration of 100 years of flight only a few weeks ago or the last commercial flight of Concorde, what was your most memorable aviation moment of 2003?

For me, well it was an eventful few weeks in May and June when British Airways announced the discontinuation of their flights between Gatwick and Guernsey. British Airways’ pullout lead to the purchase of Aurigny by the States of Guernsey, a move that I still reject in principle as I see it as a backward step in progression to nationalise an airline, although Guernsey States should be commended on their attempts to safeguard regional airlinks.

On an international scale the loss of Concorde from commercial service was tinged with sadness. Swiss’ announcement that they would join the Oneworld Alliance was welcomed, and KLM finally made a decision to link up with Air France and join Skyteam ending months of speculation.

Those are some of the major events that I remember.

Yourselves?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Best news was GLA winning new long haul services for 2004, getting my new camera and taking decent plane pics at last. Seeing Concorde at close quarters was great even if it was for the last time. Getting to some meet ups and putting forum names to faces as well.

Member for

24 years 3 months

For me it was getting my dream job. 17 days short of being here 1 year...loved every minute of it.:D :D :D :D :D

Member for

20 years 10 months

For me it was when JetBlue ordered the 190s-:eek:- we were all surprised there!

Member for

21 years

For me finally realising my dream and being accepted to train as an Airline Pilot at OAT!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Highlights... had to be the 3 airport meets i attended. :D Good times.

Lowest time of this year, concorde retiring.

Member for

24 years 3 months

For me it's when I moved away from ORY.

Don't get me wrong ORY wasn't the issue, but I live in a much quiter place now and next to a quiter airport (BIQ).

Member for

24 years 3 months

My highlight has to be when I found the Tu-144S envelope from 1 November 1977 on Ebay for $5 :cool:

Member for

20 years 7 months

Sn Brussels airlines reporting some profit!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Air India finaly getting some sense in there heads and deciding to lease aircraft since the acquisation programme was taking long.

Concorde's retirement was the low event of the year.

Member for

20 years 5 months

My highlight was the rebranding of Newcastle airport and the announcement that it's expected to have a rise in passenger numbers, from 3 million to 7 million next year.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hey, some really good memories there ;)

Jens, it was excellent to see SNBA reporting slight profits. In past years the Belgian industry has been hit with nothing but bad news. Although only early days, it is excellent to see the airline not going the way of its predecessor as many said it would.

Another airline who deserve a mention is Aer Lingus who pulled around a huge change of results and ordered new Airbus equipment in September.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Mine definetly has to be getting my first flying lessons. Hopefully it will lead to an airline career:D :D
Happy new year everybody:) :) :) :) :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have a few memories. Getting an interest back in Commercial Aviation, largely thanks to the interesting discussions you guys have on here so thanks for that. A highlight for me which will probably shock you all was the retirement of Concorde. Ever since Paris I have had this dread that something similar would happen again. Now it can't. Picking up a camera again, and actually managing to get the odd half decent shot. As Andy said, the meets, meeting a few people and an unforgettable telephone conversation between Matthew Murray and his mom at MAN. It went something like this.......

"Hi. Yes mom, having a great time........ No, I'm at the pub...... really mom....... Honestly.......... Mom? Mom?"

I should also give an honourable mention to Fizz's Grandma. All those at MAN will know who I mean.

So, here's the chance to say a very personal thank you to you guys and girls in forumland. Many of you know I have a disability and talking to you all, being able to ask questions has really helped me. It's helped me through some of the rougher times. I've made what I am sure will be enduring friendships amongst some of the forum members, so for all that I just want to say thank you.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

20 years 10 months

Other highlight- finally leaving Lugano! Touring major cities. I don't think I ever want to see a SAAB 2000 again.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Err....well. I have been pleased right throughout they year with constant good news at Stansted, like new airline, new planes and major expansion, from 17million pax to a predicted 38million (or summin like that:confused: )

Also, finally getting myself a camera. Although it's still not all that great, I have had several good photos with it, and I enjoy putting them all up on here for you to comment on.

And one of the most un-forgetable, like most of you have mentioned is the reitrement of Concorde :(

My 800th Post!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I guess the demise of Concorde ranks top for the negative side of things, but adding a lovely 1/100 display model of an IL76 to my collection, the on going rise of Airbus and the slapping down of Ryanair once or twice recently balances things out a bit. On the whole a great bunch of folks here and no I won't be dropping my anti LoCo crusade anytime soon. Happy New Year!!!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Well i guess the highlight around our region was the arrival of more services to the tasman by Emirates and Royal Brunei plus the announcement of Pacific Blue and Jetstar, the arrival of non-stop services from DXB-MEL and SYD by EK China Airlines inaugurating services on the TPE -BNE route, and the continuing expansion of DJ on domestic flights!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aviationwise hmmm...

1. Getting a job in the industry - although it does cause problems when i'm supposed to be working but watching passing visiting aircraft!

2. Jet2s introduction to LBA. First time for the Airport past the 2 million mark. This will certainly be improved with the full operating programme this year. (Jet2 commenced ops with 2x daily AMS flights in Feb and gradually introduced the rest of it's schedule over thenext few months). The future still looks bright with new routes coming in at the moment which will still keep knocking up the movement totals!

3. The multitude of flights i have got through this year! Lots of new types for me - A748, AN26, B463, B733, B734 and B763 added to the log!

Lots of aviaiton memories from 2003 - the big one that I am least likely to do again was the AN26 ride - Liverpool-Billund-Lidkoping-Liverpool!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Interflug62M
adding a lovely 1/100 display model of an IL76 to my collection

Is that a diecast model? Historic Aircraft (the guys who made my Tu-144S) makes a 1/200 scale A-50 MAINSTAY, as well as a bunch of 1/200 Il-76s. Go here and search for whatever you're looking for:

http://www.collectorsaircraft.com/

Member for

20 years 11 months

Like EGNM the introduction of Jet2 to LBA which has really made LBA so much better. Also having to based 757s over the summer,+ more charters than ever. Also for me flying more this year than I have ever done and taking a much more serious intrest in aviation which was purely down to this forum which I am so glad I joined.