Window Shades.. why do they need to be open on T/O?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Maybe one for Wys or any other Pilot here (sorry, don't know any else, still getting to know everyone).

Why is it a common requirement in the preflight and Pre-landing briefings to pax that the window shutters/shades are open?

This has always mistified me somewhat.
I know it can't be crucial; and I've seen so many pictures of A/C taking off or landing with several window shutters/shades closed

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Window shades must be open for takeoff and landing so that in the event of an evacuation, the outside conditions are fully visible and crew can determine which exits are useable, and which are obstructed by fire/water/debris etc etc.
You should always have them open for this reason.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some airlines dim their cabin lights on takeoff and landing in order to supposedly reduce the amount of time taken for passengers' eyes to adjust to the darkness should there be a need to evacuate quickly.

Basically, airlines choosing not to dim their cabin lights on takeoff and landing do so on the grounds that (a) the aircraft will be more easily seen by rescue services should the lighting system continue to work and; (b) night vision requires much longer than the 10 minutes or so during takeoff/landing to properly develop and therefore, coupled with previous exposure to bright cabin lighting during the taxi or early descent phase, cabin dimming for a short period would do little to alleviate the problems associated with earlier loss of night vision.

Member for

20 years 5 months

That works for me :D

Cheers

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just to expand a bit on one of Monsters good points, the emergency services may require to be able to see inside for passengers in need of rescue which would not be possible with closed window blinds.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Following on from these questions..

Why do you need to have your seat upright?

Why must tables be folded away?

:D :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, no-one likes and untidy cabin, do they!!!!! :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

There are many resons for tray tables to be stowed away but the main one is that it will restrict the exit of the passengers in that row in the event of an evacuation.

Seatbacks need to be upright for the same reason and also if they are in the upright position they can be pushed forward to assist escape.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks. You learn something new everyday on this forum! :D