Most unusual aircraft/airline you have seen?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

What is the most unusual aircraft and/or airline you have seen in the world at any airport?

Mine would have to be the Pilatus aircraft I saw at Fairoaks last month, and as for unusual airline, KMV airlines, which I saw in Cyprus.

And the most unusual biz/private jet i have seen is the Saudi Ogers 777, which I also saw in Cyprus.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Saw an Antonov airlines AN-124 fly over me once. I think that's the most unusual I've seen commercial-wise.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I saw some bizzare seaplane over Inverness last year. I've no idea what it was but it looked like it had been dismantled and put together the wrong way.

Most unusual that I can identify ? probably not civil but military perhaps the US Army Bronco ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pelita Air from Fokker F70 all the way from Indonesia doing a test landing at Rotterdam airport. It just came from Fokker's maintenance fascilities at Woensdrecht. Not much later it was transferred to KLM Cithopper (who else?).

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Piaggio P.180 Avanti (as discussed in "What the Heck?"
There are a couple of these in what appears to be the military area at Genoa - no obvious markings, but in a flourescent green/yellow c/s.
They really do look and sound a bit different!:cool:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I remember the first time I ever saw a "buzz" airplane. It was a 146 I believe (though it could have been an ARJ, not sure which models that buzz operates.......do they still exist?)

I believe it was in the summer of 2001, and I was at either CDG or LGW.

Member for

21 years

Buzz operated BAe 146-300s and 737-300s, but the airline now only exists as a subsidiary of Ryanair which will eventually be merged into the main airline.

Member for

20 years 9 months

As a regular spotter for 25 years its difficult to pick one out.
Personally the two Connies I saw flying commercially at Miami in 1990. Others the Hummingbird (Maldives) Cessna 208 Caravan floatplane at Shoreham in 2000. Gaoing back many years PK-BAZ CL44 at Lasham,CN-CCT Caravelle on my first trip to LHR in 1976 along with Pan Am and TWA 707's,Gulf Air VC-10,KLM DC8's...etc Other highlights are going to Berlin and Warsaw in 1990 with wall to wall IL18's,Tu134's etc. Going to Barbados and sitting on the hotel balcony while LIAT and Carib Star DHC8's fly along the beach! Going to Boeings and Airbus factorys...
As for unuasuall biz jets a Venezulan Westwind,Gutemarlan Learjet and the Australian 125 that turned up here at Farnborough one day.
I still don't know why I spot, think its the challenge? It gets me out of the house,espically when there is a airport at the bottom of the road.

Member for

21 years 1 month

well a couple from when I started work at LHR in 1978 (I was sent out to work at age 5 you understand!) was a Chinese Trident on a VIP flight which taxied right past where I was standing (worked at Field a/c which is now under T4).. and another night a Shorts 330 turned up outside in Hawaiian Airlines colours.. shorts seemed to use their customer a/c as 'hacks' !!

I'd better have a lay down after all that typing !

Neil.

Member for

20 years 11 months

The AN225 is a rather unusual looking monster,and what about Hooters air

Member for

24 years 3 months

2 USAF C 130s in plain white!:confused:

Member for

24 years 3 months

For me it was an Air Koryo Il62 at Berlin SXF operating a schedule to Pyongyang via Moscow. I think that the route is a left over from the cold war era.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Saw a small citation (mustang perhaps) fly onto the runway and jsut before landing pulled out and turned around. I stuck around for a sec and no other aircraft appeared within 3 or so minutes. Very odd.