How will I ever fulfill my Dream.....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Other than travelling on some Dan Air 727s as a kid, I can't ever remember travelling on a tri-jet. I certainly have never been on a wide-bodied tri such as the tri-star, DC-10 or MD-11 and I'm worried that time is running out.

Five years ago, Nordic Air ran a tri-star out of Newcastle on charter flights for the summer season. I was scheduled to fly on it in October '97 when three weeks before I flew, the holiday company pulled the plug on Nordic and chartered other airlines instead. So, I ended up flying to Malaga on a British Midland Fokker 70 of all aircraft rather than a Tri-star - a hell of a difference I know. (The Tri-star would have picked up in Manchester too to fill capacity, whereas the replacing F70 flew direct from NCL - half empty I add - it was the most 'personal' flight I've ever had).

This year, realising time is running out and wanting to go to New York, I tried to explore the possibilities within the realms of reasonable cost. I found a decent flight to Newark from Amsterdam on a NW DC10, which I could connect to nicely from Teesside. I was over the moon and at last thought I was gonna get on an ageing tri-jet. Then, two weeks ago, I received an e-mail from expedia telling me the flight will now be on a KLM 767 instead. Grrrrrr!:mad: Now, whilst I cannot find fault with the 767, I find it one of the most un-interesting aircraft ever built and was so gutted. If they'd put me on a KLM MD-11, that would have been fine.

With today's rumour of MYT DC10s going into retirement (and likely the scrap heap), I fear my chance of going on one of these old birds has finally ended. The only way I can eviseage going on one now is if I specially go somewhere just to get on a plane, which isn't going to be cheap. In the past, when I've known I'm going somewhere, I can try and find a suitable flight, but to do it the other way round is crazy (maybe).

So what are my chances of fulfilling my dream do you reckon?

What are your experiences of wide-bodied tri's? Am I really missing out?

Yours gutted.....

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

How could you say such a mean thing about the 767? :p

I think it is looking quite unlikely now. Few airlines actually operate the aircraft nowadays - JAL and Northwest Airlines being two of the largest carrers.

If I were you, I'd settle for the 767. Once inside, you'll never know the difference and you could just pretend it's a DC-10! :D

My only experience (that I can remember) of a tri-jet was JMC's DC-10s in August 2000. Extremely uncomfortable with cold service and some sort of leak in the cabin ceiling. Modern is definitely better, it's no doubt like to be safer too.

Member for

24 years 3 months

To be honest, apart from being able to say you've been on one, flying in a trijet is much the same as flying in a twin from a passenger perspective. The DC-10 I flew in with Airtours last year was once a great plane I imagine, but the years had taken it's toll and things like toilets and air con malfunctions didn't make for a pleasant crammed 4 hour flight full of screaming and puking kids !:D

As for how you go about getting a flight, well there are still some Tristars regularly doing UK holiday charters AKAIK, Don't Air Transat still use them to Canada ? The MD-11 will be around for a good while as well. Maybe you could book a wee holiday through a local independent travel agent, the type that doesn't have a "house" airline, like My, TCX etc. I see the odd Tristar and DC-10 at GLA over the summer period, so there must be opportunities to be had yet. :D

Member for

24 years 3 months

You know what Ren, its the thought of them being old and tatty that would make going on them 'different'. Of course, I'd want it to be safe, but tatty for once, I wouldn't mind - because I'd be expecting that.

I still think the best route would for me to get on Northwest flight through Amsterdam. But its risky doing that as I've just found out, and Northwest will probably fly them for a few years yet. On the downside, the KLM MD11s will be going soon when the 777 and A330s arrive.

Wouldn't it be great if a new charter set up using old planes? Like when Sabre brought us the 727 again.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Pembo330
You know what Ren, its the thought of them being old and tatty that would make going on them 'different'.

I know what you mean Pembo. All that was missing on my flight were a a sick kid on a drip, a couple of nuns, a singing stewardess and a woman representing Wys's banned avatar ! :D

Look on the bright side though... At least you have a chance. My dream of flying trans-atlantic on Concorde appears to dead in the water ! sniff...:(

Member for

24 years 3 months

lol Ren :D

Yeah, I understand about Concorde Ren - I'd love to have flown that too - but thats one dream that I never really believed would happen.

You know what, this might sound daft, but I'd be apprehensive of flying it anyway after Paris. Thats crazy I know given every other aircraft I've been on has some kind of incident history - but thats the way the human mind works, guess its because Paris was 'so real' given the TV imagery.

That said, I'd still love the opportunity to fly it.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Ive got to say that when you say flying an 'ageing' trijet is the same as a normal jet it is the case but there is just something so special when your walking up the steps to the plane and you see that monster jet engine on the back. I was so lucky that Monarch chartered an Atlanta tristar otherwise I would have never got to fly one. It will be a flight ill never forget looking out the window at those mighty rolls royce engines on the wings.... ah the memories come flooding back. Also I have to say that that particular Tristar was in as good a condition as any modern jet ive flown but it was 6 years ago. R.I.P Many tristars in the world!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Don't LBA - you're getting me upset!;) :(

Member for

20 years 11 months

Travelled on Continental and American airlines DC10s several times. Its a wonderfull aircraft, in fact it's my favourite airplane

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by T5
...and some sort of leak in the cabin ceiling...

The aircraft skin gets very cold from operating in such cold conditions so condensation runs down the skin interior. There are drainholes in the cabin but over time these get clogged up by the salts in the water which then causes moisture to drip from other areas.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Originally posted by Pembo330
Don't LBA - you're getting me upset!;) :(

Sorry mate! :) It was just such a great experience.

Member for

24 years 3 months

You're forgiven!:)

Member for

20 years 9 months

I have been very lucky when it comes to flying on wide body trijets. I'm only 15 and so I have not had much chance in my life to fly on such aircraft, but already I have flown on 2. Once from Gatwick to Havana (Cuba) on an AOM French Airlines DC-10 and the second time, I was supposed to be flying from Gatwick to Atlanta on a Delta 777 but this was replaced at the last minute by an MD-11 instead.

I can't say much about AOM, pour service, bad food and faulty air conditioning, but the Delta flight was much better and I can't imagine it being any worse than the 777 (apart from not having your own personal TV screen in the back of your seat). The service was great, the plane WASNT falling to bits and the air conditioning DID work.

I am just trying my hardest to keep these memories incase I do not get such a chance again.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Swiss MD11 to Bangkok still in service.;)

Member for

20 years 10 months

NW still operate DC10s from LGW to Detroit and Minneapolis. Maybe you should try to connect in the US if you go to the states again.