Flybe. report: GCI-LGW-GCI

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well today I spent the day at Gatwick on the viewing gallery. I had a fabulous time seeing all the flights and was obviously able to have two of my own with Flybe. So here is my trip report, I hope it is not too long and tedious for you guys.

Route: Guernsey to London Gatwick
Airline: Flybe. (British European)
Aircraft: BAe 146-300
Depart 07:15 arrive 08:05

I was up by 05.15 (a non-existent hour in the holiday period) and was out of the door by 06:15 with spotting equipment, plenty of money to spend and of course my anorak. Journey to the airport was little under 10 minutes and once we arrived it was a quick check in with only our passports checked. Our boarding cards for the inbound and return flights were given to us as we were on a day return, which saved a lot of hassle. Boarding was quick as the aircraft was only half full. We had seats 12A and B right next to the wings, great I thought, this has to be one of the most annoying features of the 146, how ever hard you try it is not possible to get away from the wings. So we departed on time and headed out west over the sea and turned north hugging the coast of Alderney across the Channel to the South coast and then following the normal route into Gatwick. Flight time was 35 minutes with no real events. The crew were average, this time I bought a cup of tea at £1.50 (disgrace) and bitterly supped at it.

Once in side the South Terminal we headed straight through arrivals, how nice it was only to have hand luggage, and then up to that Frankie & Benny’s restaurant for some breakfast. 09.00 was when the serious spotting started! Jeez it was busy, Continental 777s/757, Delta 777s, American 777s, British Airways 777s, Virgin 747-400s, Northwest DC-10s, US Airways A330s/767s. All those transatlantic ones were excellent and a real treat throughout the morning. I had a few favourites:
EC-FXQ 737-400 Air Europa
A6-EML 777-200ER Emirates
A310 Air Plus Comet
T9-AAC MD81 Air Bosna (This seemed to be a favourite of the spotters as they all got very excited and were jumping around with their binoculars and cameras)
Air Transat A330-200
DAS Air Cargo DC-10

I spent 4 hours up there and was extremely pleased to see the entire transatlantic flights fly off and also some of the eastern European carriers such as Adria. Around lunchtime we went back down to that same restaurant for lunch, as there is not a very good choice of places to eat. They do some good food there and I was quite pleased with the dessert. After lunch it was up to the gallery for an hour, I saw the last American Airlines off to Dallas and a few charters as well as TAP A319, BA A320/321, the usual flights. Then it was shopping time, a Corsair 747-300 model, Aurigny DVD, UK summer timetable and an airlines/airliners book; of course I wanted to spend more!

Route: London Gatwick to Guernsey
Depart 16:20 arrive 08:05

There was no need for check in this time, straight through the domestic departures. I had a look around the book shops and Timberland shop. Then it was up to the bar for a well-deserved drink before boarding commenced at pier 1, gate 7. Our aircraft was again a BAe 146, G-JEBD, in the new Flybe. livery. We were 10 minutes late boarding so we got mixed up with the Jersey flight….not a pleasant sight! Left around 16.35 in seats 6A and B and headed out past Southampton over the Isle of Wight and on to Guernsey though the views were obscured because of some fog patches. There was a bit of turbulence in the dense cloud but nothing major. I had a Coca Cola (Can’t complain) and bought a model, which is quite large and now taking up a prime spot in my study. Landing was on time at 17:15 and straight through to arrivals ready to be picked up.

On the whole it was a really enjoyable day with a great variety of aircraft and airlines. I hope this report was not too boring. Just one question though, what is that new building work that seems to be obscuring the views? Any thoughts or questions appreciated.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Adrian, you sold out man! What happened to not paying for the inflight?

I was at Gatty last Sunday. I arrived back at Thiefrow on Sunday evening, and was due to fly out from LCY the next day. Some how, I messed up my hotel bookings and ended up at Gatwick.

I stayed at Le Merdien in the North Terminal.

From my bed (I got a full english on room service) I could sit and watch the action. I saw two US Airways A330's land one after the other, followed within 10 minutes by a Tristar from Air Transat.

A very civilised way to spend a morning!

I could see the gallery from my room and I concluded my room view was just as good, and of course far more comfy.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I know I know, I totally went against my normal stance and reversed my principles. If there is any justification it was 7 in the morning and I was in need of a good cup of tea even if it was weak Kenco. Anyway, it wasn’t particularly good and I was left wondering why I wasted the money if that is any sort of conciliation.

Le Meridian is nice and comfortable. I stayed there last year though sadly the room was looking over the North Terminal car park. However, room service was good even if their “touch and pay” mentality on the mini bar was a little overboard. From the actual gallery you can see the hotel and I did notice what good views those rooms have, thus I think my next trip might be a weekend job. ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by mongu
Adrian, you sold out man! What happened to not paying for the inflight?

I stayed at Le Merdien in the North Terminal.

Woww boy, that´s smart¡¡¡¡:)

Nice report of the Paris flight. But paying inflight catering...I hate it. Being introduced by Air Europa over here......and no low fares sometimes.:mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by Saab 2000
I was in need of a good cup of tea even if it was weak Kenco.

Hmmm... you were obviously really tired if you you ordered coffee while you wanted Tea... ;) :P

Member for

24 years 2 months

Adrian... I m glad you had a good day... a very good day by the sounds of it... all those US heavies! WOW! :eek:

An excellent report too, to go with it.

Cheers Mate. :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

sounds like a great day - one giggle tho - EC-FXQ 737-400 Air Europa - i find it funny when some of the MAN and London spotters are up at LBA and getting giddy over AEA, IBW, FUA and alike.

It amazes me how people get fed up of B744s and B772sat LHR and alike while we get fed up of AEA!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Typhoo was the tea and Kenco was the coffee. They had them in those horrible paper mugs that are used at coffee machines. It doesn't pass for a good service in my opinion when tickets cost over £200 return and they consider themselves as a low cost carrier. The actual Skydeli was not available on the flight only on flights to Europe. There is a selection of snacks such as crisps, chocolate, packet cakes, biscuits etc though nothing at all special.

I used to enjoy travelling Flybe. Their service was generally very good though from my travels to Gatwick and also Southampton back in May, there seems to have been a dramatic drop in quality of service since their re-branding and introduction of a low cost service. While I could except this in principle if the flights were cheap, they were not and as expensive as they usually were back last year when they were just plain old British European.

EGNM, an Air Europa 737 was a brilliant sight when you only see a Saab 340 or Dash 8 on a regular basis. Even the constant British Airways 737s didn't damper my spirits. Those Heathrow, Gatwick and dare I say it, Leeds/Bradford spotters do not know how lucky they are to have larger aircraft on a regular basis.
British Airways 737s didn't damper my spirits.

Member for

24 years 2 months

nice report Adrian!

Member for

20 years 11 months

I had a Flybe flight back in June SOU-GVA, but i gotta admit that it was very good

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by Saab 2000

EGNM, an Air Europa 737 was a brilliant sight when you only see a Saab 340 or Dash 8 on a regular basis. Even the constant British Airways 737s didn't damper my spirits. Those Heathrow, Gatwick and dare I say it, Leeds/Bradford spotters do not know how lucky they are to have larger aircraft on a regular basis.
British Airways 737s didn't damper my spirits.

hey tell me about it - i just find it wierd how like when i got to MAN people give me funny looks for Logging the BA E145s or B734s etc, and alike, for example me coming to Guernsey would be the same if i was logging the Trislanders of Aurigny!

You dont realise how "lucky"you are sometimes with the flights you overlook!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I felt the same yesterday. I'm taking down all the 777 registrations thinking that they must be the most interesting aircraft around and there you have all these spotters running around after a small Learjet and an Air Bosna MD-81. I felt out of place taking down the everyday heavy aircraft. Though I guess everybody to their own taste, I would probably give a spotter wierd looks if they went all mad over a Shorts 360 or Dash 8. For goodness sake they are no 747 :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 10 months

I know what you mean I used to get really excited whenever I saw a 767 BY at LBA where at Man it just seemed like an everyday plane to everyone.

Member for

24 years 2 months

well when i sit down to note down reg. here people think i am mad!!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Great report..Cheers....
I do not get out as much to the airports as I would like to..
Its great to read other peoples.
One thing though....and please I am not being pedantic.

Route: London Gatwick to Guernsey
Depart 16:20 arrive 08:05

08.05?
:) ;)
Cheers for the report

Member for

20 years 11 months

Most enjoyable report, nice work.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks. The small summary with the error on was copied and pasted from the earlier morning flight. The times should have been departing at 16:20 arriving 17.10.