QANTAS - non stop Australia-London

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 7 months

Passengers will be able to fly from London to Australia non-stop for the first time when airline Qantas launches its new service from March 2018.
Australia's national carrier says it will connect Perth, in the west of the country, to the UK capital using Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners.
The 9,000 mile (14,498km) flight will take 17 hours.
Perth will be a hub for passengers from eastern Australia going to the UK, tourism minister Steven Ciobo said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38280722

From western Australia I guess they'll be going westabout...

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

From western Australia I guess they'll be going westabout...

Will BA have to follow suit?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Unless your in first or business classes, 17 hours is a long time to spend in an airliner or sitting in one place...imagining spending that much time in a theater (ever sat through a five hour opera?) or auto (it takes that long to cross Texas, but at least you get to stretch your leash at fuel stops).

Seriously, I wonder if they'll have extra cabin crew or lavatories?
I do the SEA - LHR route and by the end of the flight the BA cabin has the ambiance of a third-world bus....and that's "only" a nine-hour flight.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I've flown to Australia several times with BA & Qantas and on occasions the London-Asia leg and the Asia-London leg has been 14hrs and once it was 14½hrs. An extra few hours on top isn't really going to make that much difference. It'll probably be longer than the 17hrs that they are saying when flying East to West due to the prevailing Westerlies.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I always thought BA and Qantas both stopped in Bangkok? Could be wrong. That's usually about 12 hours to the UK.