Old routes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 2 months

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'm hoping there is someone out there that may be able to help.

My Father was in the Army and was posted to Malaya during the Sixties. I remember travelling to Singapore with my Mother in 1963 and returned around 1966.
I was after information regarding the departure location, the route taken, the time taken (rough estimate) and the stop off points on route. (For both directions)

All I know is that it was a Britannia that we travelled on. Or at least that is what I am led to believe. Also I believe it took us about 24 hours to get there. I don't know whether the Aircraft was civilian or military. I'm guessing civilian.

Now, I know that this is not very much to go on but I'm hoping there are enough enthusiasts out there who can at least point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for any help given

Original post

Member for

8 years 2 months

Thanks for that Agincourt. I have left a message on their page. Hopefully they'll respond.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Hello Stamrish,
Good possibility that you flew British Eagle. We did a lot of military flights using Britannia aircraft and flew often into Singapore. If you would like to contact me then I am willing to help with what we have in the Eagle archive. [email]britisheagleint@aol.com[/email]
Regards
Eric

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hello Stamrish

BUA also had Britannias and provided trooping flights for military personnel and their families in the 1960's.

Although your flights were thought to be in civilian aircraft, they may well have been courtesy of RAF Transport Command who's 23 Britannias regularly flew the standard far east trooping route from Lyneham or Brize Norton at that time.

Regards, Paul

Member for

15 years 11 months

Stamrish,

I should have mentioned that if you did travel RAF Transport Command on the dates stated you most certainly would have been a passenger on the 'Changi Slip' Britannias. This 'out and back' departure left RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire for RAF Changi, Singapore on a daily basis stopping for fuel at RAF El Adem in Libya, RAF Khormaksar in Aden and RAF Gan in the Maldives - a journey of 30 hours. The return flight to Lyneham, stopping again at Gan, Khormaksar and El Adem was scheduled to leave Singapore within 8 hours of arrival. The Britannia crews normally 'slipped' at Khormaksar and Changi.

Regards...Paul

Member for

8 years 2 months

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. BUA does seem to ring a bell but not 100% sure. I seem to remember Kuwait and Bombay being stop overs but again not 100% sure on that one either. I have written to the Army hoping for some dates that may help me. At the moment all I know is we travelled to Singapore in January 1963. I got that from an old passport belonging to my Mother.[QUOTE=Paul Rowse;2302369]Stamrish,

I should have mentioned that if you did travel RAF Transport Command on the dates stated you most certainly would have been a passenger on the 'Changi Slip' Britannias. This 'out and back' departure left RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire for RAF Changi, Singapore on a daily basis stopping for fuel at RAF El Adem in Libya, RAF Khormaksar in Aden and RAF Gan in the Maldives

Member for

15 years 11 months

stamrish,

The PPRuNe website confirms my earlier post that BUA flew trooper Britannias to Singapore in the 1960's as well as British Eagle. Call up their website and search for 'British Eagle Singapore' and many threads will appear covering 1960's Singapore flights. It's well worth a look.

As an example, Stansted - Kuwait - Bombay - Paya Lebar (Singapore) was a BUA route in 1963 and Paya Lebar - Colombo - Istanbul - Heathrow was a British Eagle route in 1966. I can personally confirm that Istanbul was a British Eagle stopping off point being a passenger on one of their Britannias en route to Heathrow from Aden via Bahrain and the Turkish capital in 1967.

Hope you find the information you're looking for. Regards....Paul

Member for

15 years 11 months

Re my above. Istanbul of course is not the Turkish Capital. Silly me! Will try harder next time!!

Regards....Paul

Member for

11 years 2 months

Stamrish, you might be better asking this question on the 'Historic' section of the forum. A lot of people on that section don't look on here.

Member for

8 years 2 months

OK, thanks for that

Stamrish, you might be better asking this question on the 'Historic' section of the forum. A lot of people on that section don't look on here.

Member for

8 years 2 months

stamrish,

The PPRuNe website confirms my earlier post that BUA flew trooper Britannias to Singapore in the 1960's as well as British Eagle. Call up their website and search for 'British Eagle Singapore' and many threads will appear covering 1960's Singapore flights. It's well worth a look.

As an example, Stansted - Kuwait - Bombay - Paya Lebar (Singapore) was a BUA route in 1963 and Paya Lebar - Colombo - Istanbul - Heathrow was a British Eagle route in 1966. I can personally confirm that Istanbul was a British Eagle stopping off point being a passenger on one of their Britannias en route to Heathrow from Aden via Bahrain and the Turkish capital in 1967.

Hope you find the information you're looking for. Regards....Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go and see what I get.