Where is best to view Heathrow comings and goings

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

After showing absolutely no interest in aviation - ever, my teenage son some has suddenly become very interested in airliners, with a penchant for the bigger stuff. We have had several visits to our local airport at Stansted but apart from the odd 747, 777 and A340 it's really an endless stream of Ryanair and EasyJet 'buses'.
So now the obvious next step is to take him to Heathrow for some real heavy metal and exotic airlines, trouble is I haven't been for years (about 35 to be precise) and that was viewing from on top of a car park roof if I recall correctly, and I would appreciate some help from those more in the know.

Cheers in advance.

Rob

Original post

Member for

11 years 4 months

The best view is from the terrace outside the bar at the Thistle Hotel in Bath Road. It is where the TV people report from when there is something aviation related in the news. In the near background you see an endless stream of airliners taking off or landing depending on wind direction. My grandson takes his I-Pad and logs into Flightradar24 so that he can see where they are going or coming from and what is coming next.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thanks for that. Does it matter which way they are coming in from or is the view good from both directions?

Rob

Member for

11 years 4 months

It does not really matter.

Member for

14 years

Is the Hotel friendly towards "swivels" ?

Member for

15 years 2 months

If the are landing on 27L then try Myrtle Avenue just by Hatton Cross underground station. This gives you a good view of the arrivals, at Hatton Cross you will be even closer, there is parking along Hatton Road or Cains Lane. There is also the Visitor Center on the northern permiter road . If they land on 9L (over Windsor) then the McDonalds on the A4 towards Langley offers some views.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thanks for the replies.
Do any of these offer a panoramic view, as if your standing beside the runway to see finals and touch down?

Rob

Member for

24 years 2 months

If they land on 9L (over Windsor) then the McDonalds on the A4 towards Langley offers some views.

Oh come on. There are limits you know!

Moggy

Member for

11 years 2 months

Sounds like you need St Maartens down in the Caribbean, for a close up you can stand on the beach and almost touch the landing gear as they fly over.