Ceiba Intercontinental B738 over Senegal on Sep 5th 2015, midair collision with HS125

Read the forum code of contact

This is a bit concerning, it obviously happened in RVSM airspace. When employed, I fly up there regularly and many flights to and from the USA and Europe into Africa cross that airspace.

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Sep 8th 2015 06:19Z, last updated Tuesday, Sep 8th 2015 06:50Z
A Ceiba Intercontinental Boeing 737-800, registration 3C-LLY performing flight C2-71 from Dakar (Senegal) to Cotonou (Benin), was enroute at FL350 over the Senegal 45 minutes into the flight at 18:13Z when the flight path crossed with an ambulance jet, a Senegalair Hawker Siddeley HS-125 registration 6V-AIM from Ouagadoudou (Burkina Faso) to Dakar (Senegal) carrying a patient, a doctor, two nurses and three crew. The Boeing 737-800 continued their flight but diverted to their ultimate destination and home base Malabo (Equatorial Guinea) where the aircraft landed safely.

The HS-125 subsequently flew beyond Dakar crossing Dakar at FL350 and disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean, presumably crashing into the Ocean after running out of fuel. A search for the aircraft is ongoing.

On Sep 6th 2015 Senegal's Civil Aviation Authority (ANAC) indicated they suspected a midair collision may have taken place between the two aircraft, an examination of the Ceiba Boeing 737-800 has been initiated. The ANAC assumed that the HS-125 suffered a sudden decompression as result of the collision disabling everybody on board, the aircraft continued on autopilot until running out of fuel.

On Sep 8th 2015 Senegal's Foreign Ministry reported, the foreign minister of Equatorial Guinea confirmed the Boeing 737-800 suspected to be involved in the midair collision shows wing damage consistent with a mid air collision. The ministry advised that a report from Bamako (Mali) air traffic control also suggested a collision between the HS-125 and the Boeing occurred.

The Boeing 737-800 had departed Dakar at 17:28Z, at 18:13Z on Sep 5th 2015 the Boeing 737-800 was at position N13.4 W12.25 at FL350 about to be handed over from Senegal to Mali. The aircraft subsequently overflew Cotonou at FL350 and continued straight to Malabo, about 400nm southeast of Cotonou, for a landing there at 21:40Z about 70 minutes after overflying Cotonou.

Passengers on board the 737-800 reported that they heard a strange noise about one hour into the flight. Later, as they were nearing Cotonou, the captain announced they needed to continue to Malabo for technical and security reasons.

From The Aviation Herald

Original post

Member for

19 years

An interesting occurrence which has the regular African conspiratists in a tizzy!

Member for

19 years 5 months

Seems odd that the 125 would have suffered enough damage to rupture the hull but not enough to force it down(crash) immediately...and not enough to prompt the crew to make an immediate landing.
I suppose anything is possible....

Or am I (certainly no jet pilot) missing something?

At 35,000 feet you have about 30 - 60 seconds of useful consciousness if I am not mistaken. They can't find the wreckage and think that it is in the sea. I'm not sure if Dakar has radar these days, if so they would have tracked it. The initial report mentioned something about searching 110km off the coast. There is also the question of why did the Hawker not show up on the Boeing's TCAS, or did it?