Inter Island Monopoly Over!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Brilliant news, I will enjoy a nice Islander flight at a competitive price at last.
LE COCQS has broken Aurigny’s stranglehold on the Guernsey-Jersey route.
It also plans to undercut the States-owned company by nearly 20%, with a maximum return fare of up to £69.
Le Cocqs AirLink chairman Noel Hayes said the decision by the Guernsey and Jersey authorities was good for consumers.
‘It is heartening to see that the authorities in Guernsey have opened up their own airline to proper competition on this route.
‘But the real winners here are the people who want a better deal flying inter-island and I’m greatly looking forward to welcoming our first monopoly-breaking passengers.’
Advisory and Finance Committee president Laurie Morgan said there could be no complaint about the Transport Board’s decision because it was an independent committee.
Asked if he thought two companies could compete on the route, Deputy Morgan replied: ‘My guess is that one of them is bound to fail, particularly if they engage in a price war.’
Aurigny managing director Malcolm Hart was disappointed by the move, which allows Le Cocqs to run as many services a day as it wants.
Aurigny has consistently said that allowing another airline on the route would jeopardise the levels and frequency of services and its range of fares.
‘Time will show that an Islander just cannot operate economically on the route, given the cost structures of the islands’ airports,’ said Mr Hart.
‘The futility of the situation is that Le Cocqs will potentially damage our own revenues in the short term, while not making anything for itself in the process.’
Mr Hart said that the Transport Board’s decision demonstrated that any allegations of bias towards a state-owned airline were completely unfounded.
The board’s decision was taken after a meeting with both airlines and has been mirrored by Jersey’s Economic Development Committee.
The Guernsey board also took account of a written representation from an unnamed member of the public.
Mr Hayes said the year-round service should start on 22 September, starting with at least four flights a day, which will be built up to a regular ‘bus-stop service’.
Deputy Morgan doubted that Aurigny had anything to worry about in terms of competition.
‘It is difficult to see how they [Le Cocqs] can maintain a competitive service, but perhaps they have more capability than I give them credit for,’ he said.
He added that A and F, as States shareholders, would not interfere with operational matters such as this.
‘Of course were are interested, but it is something they [Aurigny] will have to deal with - they are the professionals.’
The States paid £5m. for Aurigny on 14 May after British Airways withdrew from the Gatwick route.
I just hope this rapid expansion pays off, we all know the stories of what quick expansion leads to. I knew they would get the license though. Really it was a test, if the States said they would remain impartial then here is the time to show it. Jersey had no choice either, what is the point of refusing a license when they hope to introduce Open Skies at the end of the year? Anyway, a cautious welcome from me.

Original post

Member for

21 years

Yes, it can only be a good thing for passengers, although Malcolm Hart's words did worry me a bit. However paying £40 as the minimum fare inter island with Aurigny is a bit excessive, I don't know quite how much the highest fare they offer is though?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I do get the impression that Noel Hayes sees this as an excuse to rock the establishment if you will rather than actually offer a reliable passenger service, which leaves a lot to be desired if you look at the changes to the schedule in the last few months. He seems to place quite a bit of emphasis on competition to Aurigny yet doesn’t seem to answer the questions whether there would be another passengers to warrant competition or if it would be a temporary route if it were not to succeed.

But anyhow, I welcome a bit of competition on the route. Just an example, some of my family came over from Ireland yesterday, they flew JetMagic to Jersey and then this morning they caught an inter island flight to Guernsey. The Cork flight was £100 return with the flight to Guernsey being around £70 return for one person, rather expensive don’t you think? If Le Cocqs can bring these prices down then the inter island flights could probably see an extra generation of passenger numbers, which have been on the decline because you have in direct competition with the ferry on the route.

I question Aurigny’s and the States attitudes towards letting Le Cocqs on the route. It would damage the airline’s service on the route? I quite doubt this. The Islander aircraft only seats 10 passengers, Aurigny have cut up to half of the inter island services this year, even with the addition of two Shorts it doesn’t seem as if there would be saturation of seats to me. The Islander has been operated successfully between Jersey and Alderney and between the islands and Bournemouth so it won’t be economical on inter island? This doesn’t add up to me considering that Aurigny used to operate the aircraft themselves.
I think to be honest it is just the disagreement of the States to see their airline receive competition (something they are not used to) and Aurigny obviously realising this, Mr Hayes and Mr Hart are not exactly the best of friends now are they!

But it will be good to see Le Cocqs get the route. I was up Guernsey airport yesterday and their Bournemouth flight went off full so they seem to be quite successful. Lets just hope they are not expanding too quickly, you wonder where they will get their aircraft.