Concorde's last flight announced today.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

British Airways today said that it has received 60 bids from museums around the world for its fleet of seven Concorde aircraft and outlined plans for a final free ticket bonanza for the British public.

Final details will be announced shortly, with most bids from Britain but some from as far afield as Australia, Bahrain, and China being considered.

The final decision for the seven British Airways Concordes will be based on which venues will provide the most fitting homes while allowing as many members of the public to view the supersonic aircraft.

British Airways is also undertaking a technical feasibility study, by Captain Mike Bannister, Chief Concorde pilot, as to whether a single Concorde can be maintained for non-commercial flying at public events, such as fly pasts and air shows.

Hundreds of British people will also have a final chance to win free supersonic flights in a competition due to be launched next month by British Airways.

In addition, thousands more people will get the chance to say goodbye to Concorde at cities throughout the country during the aircraft's farewell tour of Britain, set to take place at the end of October.

Concorde's final flight for British Airways will be on Friday, October 24 when it flies from New York to London.

Rod Eddington, British Airways chief executive, said: "Concorde is great British icon. During the next few months we will be getting the whole country involved in giving Concorde a supersonic send-off. We are giving hundreds of people a once in a lifetime chance to fly for free on the most loved aircraft in the world."

--------------

Sad news. But hey Im deffinately entering the competition, whos knows, may get lucky! :D

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

In addition, thousands more people will get the chance to say goodbye to Concorde at cities throughout the country during the aircraft's farewell tour of Britain, set to take place at the end of October.

Does thins mean shes going to be coming back to places like Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham where she used to operate supersonic day trips? I realllllllly hope so!!!

Member for

20 years 11 months

An absolute shame

Member for

20 years 10 months

Well every plane has its day!:(
I heard from someone that recently flew on it said it was a very shaky plane, they knew it was getting to old cuz the person i know has flown it quite a few times and said it was shaking.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by EGNM
Does thins mean shes going to be coming back to places like Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham where she used to operate supersonic day trips? I realllllllly hope so!!!

I will email BA asking of the concorde stops on its trips of the UK for you EGNm :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Email Sent EGNM :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wkd, i might have to watch out for this, a good investature for my 18th Birthday funds

Member for

24 years 2 months

not a bad way to go out. atleast it is on a high note!

Member for

24 years 2 months

How bloody Lazy are BA???!!!???!?!?!?!? They sent me an email back saying that they hadn't a clue what I was talking about and to contact my local travel agent about it?! :mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

give me the Addy andrew - i'll have a crack in my own "special" way!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by A330Crazy
How bloody Lazy are BA???!!!???!?!?!?!? They sent me an email back saying that they hadn't a clue what I was talking about and to contact my local travel agent about it?! :mad:

Surprising really since there's a whole page on BA.COM about it.

Member for

21 years

The offer on BA.com is a competition, but only if you have bought a club ticket.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yeah Ren thats what I thought, that they have a whole page dedicated to the farewell concorde plans, yet in my email they didnt seem to know what I was talikng about.

Heres a copy of the mail I sent:

Dear Sir/Madam

My Name is Andrew Simpson, and I am very interested in aviation. I am writing to you to Enquire about the send off concorde will recieve in October of this year. I have heard that Concorde is to travel around the UK making appearances at Various airports.

My question is which airports will it be attending, and would it be possible for the dates on which it will be visiting each airport?

Many thanks for your time,

Regards
Andrew Simpson.

THEIR REPLY:

Dear Mr Simpson,

Thank you for your email which we recieved on the 26/6/03. With Regards to your request please contact your local travel agent.

Sincerely

British Airways Customer Service.

Member for

21 years

I don't think they employ people in their customer service department anymore, just a computer that sends out a standard message whenever anything is sent to a specific email address. I don't think I've ever had a sane resposne when sending an email to BA or BAA for that matter!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by Mark L
The offer on BA.com is a competition, but only if you have bought a club ticket.

There is that contest, but they still mention the public ticket giveaway next month right at the start of the 'celebrating concorde' page.

CELEBRATING CONCORDE

I also note from the article they are considering donating a Concorde to the USS Interpid carrier on the Hudson river in New York.

I'd love to see that arrival (lol) :p