Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Security Sufficient In Australia?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dartie
    • Jun 2003

Is The Security Sufficient In Australia?

Is the security at Australian Airports and on flights to and from Australia sufficient?
    YES
    25.00%
    NO
    75.00%
  • robc
    • May 2003

I wouldnt have a clue never been down under! All i know is that in the US the security is getting really annoying, 3 hours before a flight isnt very appealing

Comment

• kev35
      Terminally Bewildered
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by robc
      ... All i know is that in the US the security is getting really annoying, 3 hours before a flight isnt very appealing
      And a guided tour of the internal construction of the World Trade Centre is? I would imagine all this extra security is a hassle and very frustrating, but if it prevents any further incidents then it has to be worth it surely?

The recent spate of security breaches in Australia would suggest that the present security measures in Australia are definitely insufficient.

Regards,

kev35
      The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

Comment

• mongu
        Director
        • Jan 2000

I disagree Kev. Correlation does not prove causation, and it is not definitive that security problems means insifficient security.

Last time I was down under (admittedly nearly a year ago) the security was really heavy handed. Overbearing, even. The queues were long, the searches were thorough. They were going berserk over laptops!

But after I cleared security, I could have gone into a shop or kiosk airside and bought a bottle of whisky. Also, despite overkill when going airside, there was no searching at the gate.

You can apply the same scenario to "security" in most countries, possibly excluding Israel.

Conclusion: There is ample security, but it's all brawn and no brains.
        Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• robc
          • May 2003

Well fair enough, i totally agree but when you here the stories of past security of american airports you'll be stunned! It seems like the airports are putting all the security in the wrong places. ie the tv news reporter who managed to board planes freely at heathrow or gatwick(one of the two) armed with assault rifles! All he had to do was breech the airport boundries!

Comment

• mongu
            Director
            • Jan 2000

And some of the people who have airside security passes are frightening! There was a scandal recently when an airport allowed ex-employees to keep passes, which were still valid.

Also, there was an article in the papers over the weekend about JFK - another theft from luggage, this time L'il Kim.

Likr I say, all brawn and no brain. They should hire more accountants (seriously!).
            Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• greekdude1
              • Jan 2000

I've always found security in Australia to be top notch, upon arrival and departure. Even before 9/11 they were really strict. I connected through LHR yesterday and was very annoyed. Upon landing in T1, I had to transfer to T3 for my UA flight. I took the transfer bus from T1 to T3, staying airside the whole time. Departing the bus at T3 and up the stairs, I see 2 absolutely enormous ques for security screening. It took us 45 minutes to get through that. The problem I have with this is, I never went landside, unless of course you count stepping on the tarmac when I boarded the bus as 'land'side. Luckily, we had 3 hours but if I had a 1-hour connection, I would have been fuming. What's the point of this security screening? I would just rather leave the terminal as usual by going landside, then going into terminal 3 as I had originated there. Surely the security que would not have been 45 minutes at that stage. I was also very annoyed at waiting one whole hour, just to get my passport stamped upon my arrival at LHR 9 days ago in T3. Forty-something stations, yet only like 5 available? You gotta' be kidding me.

Comment

• mongu
                Director
                • Jan 2000

...lack of brains strikes again. Even the media seem to be on to it now, after that chap dressed up as Osama got into Prince William's party at Windsor Castle - got in by blagging his way past a dopey policeman.
                Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• greekdude1
                  • Jan 2000

I was in London when that happened. I guess the Royal Family's version of the secret service, was already drunk at that point, eh?

Comment

• Bhoy
                    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by greekdude1
                    I've always found security in Australia to be top notch, upon arrival and departure. Even before 9/11 they were really strict. I connected through LHR yesterday and was very annoyed. Upon landing in T1, I had to transfer to T3 for my UA flight. I took the transfer bus from T1 to T3, staying airside the whole time. Departing the bus at T3 and up the stairs, I see 2 absolutely enormous ques for security screening. It took us 45 minutes to get through that. The problem I have with this is, I never went landside, unless of course you count stepping on the tarmac when I boarded the bus as 'land'side. Luckily, we had 3 hours but if I had a 1-hour connection, I would have been fuming. What's the point of this security screening? I would just rather leave the terminal as usual by going landside, then going into terminal 3 as I had originated there. Surely the security que would not have been 45 minutes at that stage. I was also very annoyed at waiting one whole hour, just to get my passport stamped upon my arrival at LHR 9 days ago in T3. Forty-something stations, yet only like 5 available? You gotta' be kidding me.
                    gd, I've never been down under, so I can't comment on what it's like down there, but as for LHR, all transferring pax get screened again, unless they're transferring from a domestic/ROI flight (presumably, because they meet a minimum UK screening already, whereas, you never know what standards are like wherever they originated otherwise).

As for Immigration, well, I've had to queue a fair while when entering the US, too (at PIT, so, ok, they don't have that many desks), mainly because 3/4 of the desks were for US passport holders only, and the rest of us plebs had to go through the same queue.

Admittedly, I've seen the same at GLA, when the EWR flight arrived around the same time as my SN flight from Brussels three years ago, and there's only two desks for non-EU passport holders to get their stamps (fortunately, I could just walk through the channel for EU passports (which rarely get looked at, anyway))

Comment

• greekdude1
                      • Jan 2000

Ok, all connecting pax get screened, that's fair enough. Transferring, as whole, at LHR really sucks compared to the likes of AMS, VIE and FRA, in my opinion. If you arrive and depart in the same terminal, that might be a little different, I don't know. On the initial arrival, however, there were like 5 of 40 desks in service for non-EU passport holders, which is completely unacceptable. Where are all the employees to only have 5 desks open? There was one desk for EU passport holders, but as you mentioned, it seemed like those weren't even looked at, they just walked right by.

Comment

• mongu
                        Director
                        • Jan 2000

I always show the immigration officer the back of my passport, just to see if they ask to see the front to check if it is actually an EU passport. Guess what - since I started - about 4 flights ago - I've succeeded every time.

The knack of building loads of desks but only using them all for 1 or 2 days of the year is just the British way of doing things, GD. Even the supermarkets do it with checkouts.
                        Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• monster500
                          • Jan 2000

yesterday in Perth a Qantas flight to Singapore was delayed.
                          a box cutter was found in a seat pocket. 233 pax were removed and the a/c searched again.

question is did the box cutter come down on a flight from Jakarta the night before, or was it put there on the flight in the morning??

Comment

• greekdude1
                            • Jan 2000

Seems to me that box cutters are appearing rather often in Australia nowadays. I think some of these people are just trying to be jokers. They see one or 2 boxcutter incidents in the news, and now they are just overdoing it. They have no intention otherwise, then to just act like morons.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                            X