Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition: Stop "Pay to Fly"

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Primate
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Petition: Stop "Pay to Fly"

Just got notification about an online petition against "Pay to Fly" - a self-sponsored line training concept that some companies employ today and which is potentially harmful to commercial aviation in Europe. A letter to the European Commission describing this issue can be found on the website. Please sign if you wish.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/p2f_must_stop/

This practice of charging crews, also known as 'self sponsored line training' or 'pay to fly', raises concerns about the effective responsibility of professional pilots.Under normal circumstances, pilots are paid to be entrusted with the safety and efficient conduct of the flight. By reversing the cash flow, airlines are positioning themselves as service providers, thus reducing or canceling the liability endorsement of the pilot, causing implicit impact on flight safety.
  • 27vet
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2009

It takes the professionalism out of flying for a career. Have you ever heard of a newly graduated surgeon paying to carry out surgery on patients?
    sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• Primate
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Don't know all about it, but what have things come to in terms of honour and integrity?

A sad fact of the matter is that some of us who try to maintain these values are lagging behind those who manage to gather valuable experience faster by joining these schemes. Ironically, a number of these candidates seem to head for legacy carriers at first chance after having gone through an LCC employment scheme which undermines said carriers...

Flying SEPs at low altitude over nice terrain can be great, but it's not very profitable and hardly a fast track to a multi-crew, multi-engine turbine job. I love dilemmas.

Nice signature and photo, by the way.
      Last edited by Primate; 22nd February 2015, 12:05.

Comment

• 27vet
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2009

I have been out of work since last July, I have over 10,000 hours of which over 4,000 are on 727s. I'm battling to even get work as an instructor because the market is saturated with newly qualified pilots who are resorting to flying instruction to get hours. Therefore the future industry is being trained by instructors with just over 250 hours total experience.
        sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• Primate
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by 27vet View Post
          I have been out of work since last July, I have over 10,000 hours of which over 4,000 are on 727s. I'm battling to even get work as an instructor because the market is saturated with newly qualified pilots who are resorting to flying instruction to get hours. Therefore the future industry is being trained by instructors with just over 250 hours total experience.
          I think that has been the normal state of things at some or many schools for years. I was fortunate enough to attend a school where the staff mostly consisted of former military and airline pilots with heaps of experience from operations and training. Not sure if there are too many of those around.
          Last edited by Primate; 22nd February 2015, 14:38.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
          X