what is your favourite uk airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

this is to find out your opinions on which is your fave airport give reasons if possible

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Heathrow - much more variety than at the other airports. A bit run down however, and not very friendly to people who want to look at the aircraft though. But the quantity and variety make up for that.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Out of the ones Ive been to Manchester. Great Viewing area a great range of airlines and models and great to watch. Mind you Lba was great today Azzura A320 two Jet2 737s MyTravel 757 Britannia 767 Astraeus 737 Leeds On the Up!

Member for

24 years 3 months

if u'd stayed a bit longer u might of got the Hola B733, Spanair MD-83 or one of the Air Europas due in later to Leeds - Was up yesterday for a few hours

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was LHR for me, but now its LGW, just gotta love the UK charters! :D Plus there is a bigger variety of US airlines than at LHR.

Member for

20 years 11 months

EGNM,

I was up there from 10-3 unfortunately I had to go home otherwise i would have stayed. God G-PIDS looked good with the sun on it Also EGNM have you noticed that MYT seem to use G-PIDS at LBA all the time now or is it just me?
Highlight of the day though was seeing an Air Azzura A320 for the 1st time.

Member for

24 years 3 months

apparently theres supposed to be a fairly even spread of the a/c we get re MYT B757s apart from WJAN. Thinking about it actually G-RJGR seems not to appear as much as LCRC and MCEA

Member for

20 years 11 months

ive seen G-PIDS all the time recently. Ive never seen G-RJGR at LBA except for the time I went to Malaga on it!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've only been to one, LHR, but I enjoy my experiences there. Viewing really sucks from T2, unless you're up top in the LH lounge, where it is superb. Shopping is amazing, especially the selection of Scotch. Viewing is a little better in T3. I'll be flying out of T1 this time around, so I'll see how that goes, not to mention BMi's lounge.

Member for

20 years 10 months

ive been to both manchester and gatwick and id say gatwick because you can see the whole airport and all the planes

Member for

21 years

Definatley LHR for me, great variety and I found it a suprisingly nice airport to travel through. T5 will only make it bestter :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

ohh, it could be a number of different airports for a number of different reasons.

Mainly, the number of flights available to destinations worldwide. If an international carrier wants to fly to the UK, the majority will consider Heathrow as an option. It's just about in Central London and there are plenty of connecting flights etc.

For viewing. Gatwick. I've not made any special trips to Gatwick to watch the aircraft, but the choice available (particularly charters) is great. I expect Manchester is the same, but with a bith of Heathrow thrown in. :p

For Duty Free shopping. Gatwick's South Terminal. It's such a normal, laid back atmosphere with plenty of shops that you would expect to find on your local high street; Boots, Dixons, WHSmith, McDonald's, Harry Ramsden's etc. It's a good value, relaxed atmosphere with some good stores to shop in. Heathrow terminal 1 is disappointing, but what can you expect from a terminal which supposedly serves the UK and Europe - WHSmith and a few others. Gatwick North is not bad, but it doesn't seem to have as much as the South terminal. How I DESPISE Heathrow Terminal 3. I moan about it so much and am flying out of it again next month. A sushi bar, ridiculously expensive shoe shops and other such rubbish. When you check in for a long haul flight, you must spend 3 hours sat in the departure lounge, surrounded by crap shops.

For the general atmosphere, probably Stansted. The glass terminal is great and you're not sat in artifical light for ages, but natural light which pours in from above you. Heathrow constantly has some work going on and can be noisy. Gatwick is about average.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Michael, there's a TGIFridays in T3! That, by itself, makes T3 a great terminal. I guess you UK boys don't appreciate a TGI's as much as I do. Other than that, I thought the shops in there, along with the duty free on offer, was very above average.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have a TGI Friday's in Reading which I have used once or twice before. I can settle for a sandwich or bagel from the overpriced bagel bar - as can be expected from Heathrow!

Is that a new addition to the terminal? I don't recall seeing it last winter when I was there. Otherwise, it was probably hidden behind the piles of wood and scaffolding.

Member for

24 years 3 months

When I departed from T3 in 2001, I saw it. Last year I departed from T2, so I don't know if it might have closed down. I'm going to depart from there again in about a week and a half, I'll check it out.

Member for

24 years 3 months

heathrow is nothing short of a disgrace. T3 should get a good makeover.

i prefer LGW.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Heathrow is a good airport in terms of airlines and varieties of types, but it is not the easiest place for viewing and video. Manchester is easy for both video and photography. London City is an undiscovered dream, a real gem of a place witha good internet cafe on the ground floor.

In half an hour I shall be setting off to Manchester and tomorrow I shall be flying to Dublin on Aer Lingus BAe 146:)

Member for

20 years 11 months

Oh yeah, LCY is great you can stand out on the pavement on the bank with a pefect view onto the runway, not the most busy, and can only serve short landing a/c but still, in development!

Member for

21 years 1 month

Birmingham is my favourite UK airport. Modern, clean and tidy, easy to find your way around, easy to get to, good range of flights. My preference!

Went to Dublin airport yesterday with Dusseldwarf on the Ryanair B737-200 Jaguar aircraft (EI-CJE). Ryanair and Aer Lingus seem to fight over the control of the public tannoy system in the departures area - they are always interupting each other!!!
My last Ryanair flight for the moment. I don't have a problem with their aircraft, just the B737-200's. Those aircraft are turning me into a nervous flyer.......The GTi of the FR fleet!

Member for

20 years 10 months

I thought RYR and EIN used two different areas once through airside.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Both airlines were using Area A yesterday afternoon. It was mostly FR aircraft but there was an EI BAe146 and a 735 also in Area A yestreday