Could this be the next Concorde?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 9 months

Introducing the new Aerion AS2, a supersonic business jet with a cruising speed of Mach 1.6. Perhaps not the next Concorde as such, but definitely a step in the right direction. What do you think? Will it succeed or fail? I've visited Aerion's website and they seem pretty serious about this. They've been at this project for 10 years now.

This is their promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8gx7JFGaQ

Personally, I think it's a beautiful aircraft

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230053[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230054[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

12 years 4 months

Let's wait for it to be tunnel tested or some CFD view release

Member for

14 years 7 months

Reminds me of the Orion
http://www-space.arc.nasa.gov/~rubin/images/orion_ship_2001_crop.jpg

Member for

9 years 9 months

Personally I just don't understand why we aren't seeing an increase in average jet aircraft speed, considering how efficient jet engines are now, and they continue to become more and more efficient. With this in mind, wouldn't it make sense to increase the average speed of a jet (currently about 540 mph) to something closer to 700 mph (perhaps about 650 mph)? More efficient engines mean less fuel burn, so surely greater speeds are now achievable as they wouldn't burn as much fuel?

An increase of even 100 mph would cut journey times, even if only by a small margin. Surely it's worth it? We've seen turboprops increase in speed to over 400 mph, from roughly 300 mph, so why isn't the same thing happening with jets? If we can't achieve supersonic speed, we should at least attempt to reach near-supersonic.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Get closer to the sound barrier efficiency falls off.

I think they are flying pretty well at the most effficient speeds now which is why jets that could fly a lot faster don't. Efficiency is important so as not to burn and therefor waste precious fuel, it's a limited commodity. A bit like a car, no matter how fast it can go it is most effient at about 56mph.

If they want to speed up air travel, do something about the time it takes to go through the airports at each end.

Member for

14 years 2 months

An increase of even 100 mph would cut journey times, even if only by a small margin. Surely it's worth it? We've seen turboprops increase in speed to over 400 mph, from roughly 300 mph, so why isn't the same thing happening with jets? If we can't achieve supersonic speed, we should at least attempt to reach near-supersonic.

Boeing did exactly that with the Sonic Cruiser...

Then realised no-one actually wanted it and built the 787 instead.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I seem to remember Barnes Wallis saying that he had a basic design for an aircraft, which could fly from the UK to
Australia in four hours.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Barenes also said will built aeroplanes the wrong way round..the wing should be at the back and the 'tail' at the front. The few aircraft that have been built like this supports that theory.
To fly nearer the barrier does need a completely different type of aeroplane and that's not going to happen any time soon as the Sonic cruiser concept showed.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I seem to remember Barnes Wallis saying that he had a basic design for an aircraft, which could fly from the UK to
Australia in four hours.

So do I.
Heck, anyone with a pencil and a piece of paper can do that.
The hard part is the detail design...not to mention the money (and political will) to build it.

A SST isn't coming along soon.
I don't see the UK or the EU building anything of the sort. It's perceived as too "ungreen".
Especially in the UK where government policy seems to be "tax people into being green". What's the tax rate on petrol..60%?
So what you have is a return to the 19th century class system...the upper classes (now days that means celebrities instead of the titled) can do what they want because they can afford it...while the regular people are herded onto busses.