No announcement yet.

Still hope for Manston?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thanet Council plan foresees Manston as an airport and no housing developments for the site are included in the plan.
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

I went there back in August and all I saw was a partially stripped 747 and a cimplete but permanently grounded DC 8...don't recall a third

Comment

It's been tucked away the other side of TG Aviation for years....
        Charlie

Comment

In the face of strong criticism from the bidders and elsewhere Thanet Council look likely to vote this week against a CPO in favour of River Oak thus ending any likelihood of Manston's revival as an airport.
          Charlie

Comment

Water has been flowing under the bridge in the last few weeks:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...-airports-ev2/
            Charlie

Comment

Thanks for posting.
              Am I right in saying first group are going to be justifying what has happened and are all involved with Mrs Gloag and financially involved.

The second group are all councils with an MP. Presumably none experts in aviation. Do we know which way they will jump? Either way they have a financial interest.

Third group appear to be campaign groups.

http://www.savemanstonairport.org.uk/wordpress/
              http://www.whynotmanston.org/

Dr Beau Webber is a research scientist at Canterbury Uni. He has a large web presence but does not seem to mention his involvement with Manston.

Not represented but there is also

http://www.supportmanstonairport.org/

What I do not see is any independent aviation experts.

I am really surprised that the Mrs G has not had the runway grubbed up as this is what a lot of developers do now move in and demolish everything so there is no going back. This is what happended in Sealand where the Developer agreed with local historians that they could record the WW1 buildings but then immediately pulled them down. At the time they had no planning permission I think this was back in 2010 or 11. Needless to say the project is called The Airfields.

To avoid any doubt I strongly think that Manston should be kept open and go further than that in that all airfields should be ring fenced and no housing development allowed.

Paul

Comment

Rivetting stuff.

Better than Borgen

Moggy
                "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

Paul - you have the groups about right except t that River Oak is the US company who met all Mrs Gloag's demands matching exactly what she had demanded and their bid was still rejected by her. She subsequently sold 80% to a pair of developers, whose business was rather suddenly moved to the Channel Islands!! Which is when the whole affair started to get a nasty smell and after much internecine fighting it has come to the Transport Committee. Why there are no aviation experts called I have no idea and whether the big bucks will have thew final say remains to be seen. But they usually do!!
                  Last edited by charliehunt; 2nd February 2015, 18:43.
                  Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by paul1867 View Post
                    Dr Beau Webber is a research scientist at Canterbury Uni. He has a large web presence but does not seem to mention his involvement with Manston.
                    He was representing the locals who want Manston saved and he was embarrassingly poor.

Moggy
                    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

Thanks Charlie, now you have said about RiverOak I remember who they are, getting old.

I did read all of the Thaneteye which Moggy posted which made very interesting reading especially in relation to the goings on associated with the two developers. Regrettably I did not download the site and it has now gone, I wonder why?

Im sure your absolutely right, money rules.
                      Just need to find time to listen to the Select Committee.

Comment

I see that Angie Sutton had a 33 year career in the RAF and now runs an events company http://www.asenterprises.co.uk/ which organised the airshow at Manston in 2013. I note her RAF rank has been removed from the witness list since I looked at it earlier in the day.
                        Now we have leaked emails, murkier and murkier.

Not seen Borgen is it any good

Comment

Thanet Eye was "leant on" by the legal heavies.

Angie Sutton never used her rank in relation to her events business so perhaps it was erroneously used yesterday.

Borgen is EXCELLENT and I keenly await the new series this year.

I am pleased the future of Manston is still being discussed but the Committee has no power and I still fear that the big bucks will still hold sway with local politicians. I hope I am proved wrong.
                          Charlie

Comment

By all accounts, even as the hearing was underway, diggers started tearing at the taxiways.

Currently unconfirmed, but we all remember Meigs Field I guess?

Moggy

Comment

In photos of an incident there today attended by the emergency services there appears to be dug up taxiway in the foreground.
                              Charlie

Comment

I've now watched the first section of the Committee meeting. This is very essential viewing. Warning: you will need more than one sick bag. the Committee seem to be doing a good job in exposing the goings on. Watch Pauline Bradley squirm, and the room laugh when she was not sure if she was a director of Lothian Shelf (710), and she is "one of Scotland's most powerful women."

Now just need to see how well the other side put their case!

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...er=silverlight

Comment

You will not be disappointed. As if one actually needed convincing but the cloak and dagger duplicity of the interested parties is revealed in its machiavellian splendour.

What a bunch of twisters!!
                                  Charlie

Comment

The Bradley woman has a deeply impressive CV (not)

From Wikipedia,

Pauline Bradley is a corporate lawyer and former bank director, described by the Scotland Herald as 'one of Scotland's most powerful women' .[1] She joined Bank of Scotland in 1991, and set up and directed the Joint Ventures unit in 1999. The unit pursued a strategy of taking equity stakes in asset backed businesses,[2] and built up a 10 billion portfolio under her management, including joint ventures with Ann Gloag and Brian Souter of Stagecoach Group.[3] Bradley left in 2005. Bank of Scotland received a government bail out to prevent collapse in 2008.[4]

Between 2005 and 2006 Bradley was Chief Executive at the Kenmore property group,[5] one of Bank of Scotland's largest clients, which went into administration in 2009.[6]

Pauline Bradley subsequently joined Derek Quinlan's Quinlan Private as Head of Transactions, and oversaw the 792 million acquisition of the Jury's Inn hotel chain, and the 1.1 billion acquisition of the Marriott Hotels group in 2007.[7] Derek Quinlan resigned from Quinlan Private in 2009 with personal debts estimated at 600 million euros. Marriott Hotels went into administration in 2011, Royal Bank of Scotland taking control of the chain when its holding company defaulted on a 700 million bank loan.[8]

In November 2013 Pauline Bradley became co-director with Ann Gloag of Manston Airport in Kent, which was reportedly acquired from New Zealand company Infratil for 1. The airport was closed in May 2014.

Comment

This comprehensive submission to the Committee makes for interesting reading:

http://www.riveroakic.com/pdfs/THE%2...0-%20Oct14.pdf
                                      Charlie

Comment

Not all cut and dried yet

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...airport-review

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Looks promising. This is obviously going to take some time and my concern is that the runway will be grubbed up and other infrastructure buildings demolished. Is there anyway of putting a temporary restraining order on to prevent this?

Comment

Working...
                                          X