How to improve airport security?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Is it me or does anyone else find it pure madness that there are x2 lanes for every archway when passing through airport security?

Besides the ususal build-up of queues due to the volume of passengers at peak times, the queue is always forced to stop and wait for anyone to be screened by an officer if/when they activate the archway alarm and having two lanes means two sets of queuing passengers. Obviously there is both a male and female security officer on each archway to be able to do the relevant searches, and if say it is a male who activates the archway alarm, females are obviously allowed to continue passing through, but the whole system slows right down and thus it leaves little wonder as to why travelling through an airport is such a stressful experience.

Some airports offer premium/Fast Track security for Business/First Class passengers, however this has exactly the same set-up and thus doesn't make the process that much quicker.

With the introduction of checked-baggage fees by airlines, more and more people are taking larger sized items of hand luggage filled to the rafters with all sorts of things, and because they have to take items out such as laptops, iPads, etc. and take coats/jackets/shoes/belts off, again the process slows right down?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it isnt necessary for the searches to be carried out, what I am thinking/asking is what can be done to make the flow/process better and a more harmonious experience that will ultimately lead to fewer delays...or is it just a necessary evil and something that we have to contend with whenever we choose to travel by air?

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

A difficult question to be sure. One I have no idea how to answer with anything practical.

Currently, the only answer I have is; Hire more staff.