Callsigns

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

The post by wysiwyg regarding the callsign website got me wondering if anybody has a favourite among airline callsigns? Personally I really like BAs "Speedbird" and the old Pan Am call sign of "Clipper". I also like the callsign "Glacier" that is used by Central Mountain Air; a small airline that flies out of my hometown. Just curious as to what others thought.

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

America West "Cactus"

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well after a very short period of time we are kicking 'Globe' into touch! It is causing a lot of problems in Spain as most Spanish controllers won't use it. It turns out that in Spain a 'globo' is a colloquialism for a condom! Perhaps Keltic can give us more info? We have got a week to suggest a replacement to management with a prize for the one that gets chosen. Can you help me win? It needs to be 2 syllables and distinctive. I quite like 'Cookie' but someone else has already suggested that.

Member for

24 years 3 months

after jay-emm-see(JMC)
how about

tee-see(TC) or TOP CAT.

Member for

24 years 3 months

you better forget my idea of tee-see, if you have a 3 after it that would cause a few problems.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Top Cat has been suggested by many (as has Gonad and Bollox!) but there is already someone registered as Top Hat which would probably preclude that.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Speedbird is one of those real classy callsigns that are becoming a rarity. Most are just the airline name which is easy to identify but just boring.

A couple others that I like:

Critter: AirTran (use to be ValueJet)

Trans-Can: use to be Trans-Canadian but when they consolidated the regionals there they used this one. After a few months of having controllers and other pilots referring to them as "Trashcan" they changed it :)

Clipper: someone bought the Pan-Am logo and is operating it on the US East coast in some referbished 727's. They have winglets and apparently a glass cockpit as well. It's cool it still hear the name on frequency.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Foxy or Swallow?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Tom-Cook?

I like most charter callsigns, Expo (XLA), Jetset (AMM) and Kestrel (AIH) were or are classy callsigns! Anyone have any idea what Ambassador Airways (AMY) used?

You guys are right with the speedbird thing, its pure class that i don't think could be beaten!!!

Wys mentioned the ineuendo with the globe and condom thing; couldnt the same be said for "virgin" and "easy" in similar contexts!?!?!

clear skies,

LGKR

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is it Bee Wee for BWIA? I always like that because it sounds pretty fun plus quite commerical to say.
Ayline is another I like for personal reasons.

Member for

24 years 3 months

...except I once had someone thinking I saying Gayline!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

As you do Wysiwyg, as you do. Quite an easy and obvious yet embarrasing mistake to make! How did you overcone that situation ;)

Member for

21 years

see below

Member for

21 years

Snoopy, Formula 1,Garfield, Skycat,jamaica, Speedbird concorde,these are some of my favourites!

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Santa" - whos got that registered then??...

Member for

20 years 11 months

Who operates as Snoopy? The only Snoopy I've heard it the Metlife Insurance blimp fleet.

Member for

21 years

.my little book says AIR TRAFFIC --GERMANY--CODE ATJ.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Air Traffic? Boy that must be confusing on frequency. "You have air traffic at 12:00, it's an Air Traffic 737." :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Like that scetch from Airplane

Roger, Roger. What's my vector, Victor?

Member for

24 years 3 months

what about char-ta

Member for

21 years

how about "SunChime " instead of globe - if it's not already used