Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Malaysian Airlines B777

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello TomcatViP,

Thank you for the reminder of my earlier question(s).
    I have received nothing in reply so far.

A further question now arises.

Some time back perhaps on this or another forum (I do not recall) the question of the liferafts was brought up.
    It was said that they also have equipment that will send out a "ping" or such signal ?
    If this is correct would it be possible that some kind of signal could be emited if -

a) - the liferaft did not open on hiting the water but remained afloat?

b) - if it was damaged and had sunk below the surface of the water and drifted with the current ?

If either or both of the above is possible then this could account for signals now heard 600km apart and could be from such wreckage ?

Any explanation/thoughts please ?

Thanks
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by TomcatViP View Post
      If the plane suffered a fire in the frwd section, wouldn't it be plausible to see a dispersion of locators along its flight path. Could be interesting to plot all those signals on a map.

The CVR and the FDR are mounted on the same piece of structure above the galley at the rear of the aircraft. It is done like this so that they stay together or very close together when the aircraft breaks up. The distance between the two pings is two far. Two or three miles may be but the distances mentioned make it sound like they have been removed from their mounts and thrown out of the aircraft. (At low speeds you can open a flight deck window of an unpressurized 777) OMG! There's a new mad theory for you! Tin foil hats every one!!
      Seriously I think one of the "pings" might be from something else.

Rgds Cking

Comment

I wonder if there is more than one sub in the area?
        http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

I have just read the BBC's report and it says that the Australian's hydrophones picked up the sounds of two "pings". That is a little more hopefull.

Rgds Cking

Comment

Originally posted by Cking View Post
            OMG! There's a new mad theory for you! Tin foil hats every one!!
            Rgds Cking
            CKing that's rather insulting.

I will remind you that to assess the truth in such event you've to turn and twist around what is plausible and then checked it out. That's what I tried to do here. No alien, no meteor or whatever theory from me.

By the way thx for answering for the recorder. I shld have known that but it went out of my mind.
            Last edited by TomcatViP; 7th April 2014, 19:52.

Comment

If the plane suffered a fire in the frwd section, wouldn't it be plausible to see a dispersion of locators along its flight path. Could be interesting to plot all those signals on a map.
              Why would they do that?

There are many things that are possible....but very unlikely.
              I've never heard of an airliner doing that, nor do I expect FAs have the time, training and tools (ever see a tool kit on a jetliner?) to do such a thing in flight.
              There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

If you don't mind abt quality that's the most useful tool to unbolt anything in a plane:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	3653125

Comment

CKing that's rather insulting.

I will remind you that to assess the truth in such event you've to turn and twist around what is plausible and then checked it out. That's what I tried to do here. No alien, no meteor or whatever theory from me.
                  Not meant to be insulting, just poking fun at my outlandish idea that is as plausible as some of the others .

Rgds Cking

Comment

If you don't mind abt quality that's the most useful tool to unbolt anything in a plane:
                    The CVR and FDR are held in place by hand tightened thumb screws. You wouldn't need a fire axe to remove them.

Rgds Cking
                    Last edited by Deano; 12th April 2014, 10:34. Reason: COC RULE 14

Comment

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/0...6pLid%3D462235

Finally a submarine or submersible is being deployed.
                      http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

That's obviously an encouraging development.

The sonar mapping of the sea floor where the pings were picked up will show if anything is down there and, barring a horrible coincidence, they must now be in the right area.

Here's hoping.

Comment

Have they tracked the source from a third point yet? I know they were attempting too, they will need that to to triangulate a location.

Comment

They are showing four places where they have heard pings, but saying that nothing "concrete" yet.
                            Last edited by 27vet; 9th April 2014, 05:57.
                            sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

BBC news at 0541 hrs this morning "Missing Malaysia plane: Search 'regains recorder signal"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26950387

MYSTERY not solved as yet but signs maybe promising.
                              Jay

Comment

Fingers crossed.

Comment

I must say that the BBC's coverage of the search isn't very good. Reports are still there but one has to go fairly far down the list to get to them, well below Peaches Geldof (no disrespect intended nor implied), Hillary Clinton or whoever else.

The New Zealand Herald's is much better. Try www.nzherald.co.nz.

Comment

Haven't looked at the BBC coverage - Sky's has been excellent from day one.
                                    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrtotty View Post
                                      I must say that the BBC's coverage of the search isn't very good. Reports are still there but one has to go fairly far down the list to get to them, well below Peaches Geldof (no disrespect intended nor implied), Hillary Clinton or whoever else.

The New Zealand Herald's is much better. Try www.nzherald.co.nz.
                                      Un fortunately there are only a certain amount of times they can say "They are still looking for it" and at some point it will drop of the page altogether. I suspect that if they don't find the FDR and CVR soon that point will come in the next week or so. It is very sad watching a tragic event getting less and less coverage as the press moves on and knowing that the families are still suffering.

Rgds Cking

Comment

Originally posted by Cking View Post
                                        This is a rare incident where the cause of the crash started more than half an hour before the crash. To record every flight for it's entirety would be a waste of time and money. The pilots are scared that some operators would listen in on their "Off duty" moments. How would you like your boss or some sort of office administrator listen to every thing you say at work?

Rgds Cking
                                        Frankly that doesn't wash with me and sounds like excuses rather then reasonable cause for complaint.

Up to two hours is already recorded so they are already in a position of monitoring, if they are concerned that management are listening in with what they are saying then I would say they are already in a disciplinary situation. Management are hardly going to listen through millions of hours of audio on the off chance the pilots are up to something naughty. If pilots are up to naughty stuff on a regular basis then I think we should have cause for concern not use it as an excuse to prevent introduction of more appropriate technology for the current situation which is 20+ hour non stop flights in some cases!

Waste of time recording all the flights audio? How? That is such a poor excuse it beggars belief! The airlines already record millions of hours of audio each year, how is extending that to the entire flight duration a waste of time? If the pilots are so bothered by the possibility of people listening into "off duty" moments why not an agreement that the audio is wiped automatically when the aircraft lands. Anyhow if they are in the cockpit there is no such thing as an "off duty" moment so pilots should maintain a certain of degree of decorum just like anybody else in their place of work! This is technology available NOW! My mobile phone can record thousands of hours worth of audio and delete it in seconds! A solid state HDD based flight recorder could record the entire flight and then automatically delete at a set period after landing of lets say a week. If the recording is needed when the aircraft landed because of some issue in the flight or with the pilot a ground engineer should have the ability to plug in a cable and take it off in a matter of minutes. If the aircraft is lost in a crash and the box loses power to it then the HDD won't delete the data.

The only thing I can see as an issue is cost but then again new technology is introduced all the time so a rolling program of installing HDD based flight recorders could be instigated over time. Put it this way the industry was able to move quick enough and spend plenty of money when they were forced to fit hardened cockpit doors!

Frankly if that is the pilots attitude I feel like campaigning for cockpit video recorders out of spite.

Sorry if I come over as blunt and it is not personal.
                                        Last edited by Fedaykin; 11th April 2014, 15:08.
                                        Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

Comment

Working...
                                        X