Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Malaysian Airlines B777

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hand87_5
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Bmused55 View Post
    Such a tragic situation.

Here we have a missing, presumed crashed aircraft with 239 people aboard.

All the media can think about is defaming the Captain and assassinating the character of the co-pilot. I really wish the media could be held accountable for the utter crap they spout if evidence comes to light that they were wrong.

To be brutally honest however, a hijack, either by one of the crew or a passenger seems to be the only thing that can account for the loss of communications, the transponder not transmitting (most likely set to Stand by) and the course changes.

Still, I see no sense in impugning the reputation of anyone on board until more is know, if ever it is.

On another note. This is the most active thread I have seen here in years.
    Kind of reminds me of the "good" old days, where discussion and threads going 5 to 10 pages deep were the norm!
    200% agreed

Comment

• Matt-100
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bmused55 View Post
      If you're referring to the engine fire extinguishers located in the wheel well then I would have thought they'd be more dense than water and just sunk straight to the bottom of the ocean after impact, like any other fire extinguisher. Plus the Maldives is thousands of miles away from the current search location southwest of Perth.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	firebottles.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	3652788
      Feel free to check out my aviation pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhr_spotter/ - comments welcome

Comment

• Newforest
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Apr 2005

A 'debris field' of 122 pieces was located by a French satellite on Sunday and is now being investigated.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/2...6pLid%3D457819
        http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

• Mondariz
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Moggy C View Post
          Not my area of expertise, but wasn't the "two hours" in reference to the CVR, not the FDR?

Moggy
          You are right Moggy. The CVR run on a 2 hour loop, the FDR retains data for around 20 hours (minimum the full flight).

Comment

• Cking
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Oct 2004

Pilot's unions have been very anti the CVR in the past, that's why there is an erase button fitted in the flight deck.
            The constant transmition of cockpit audio would probably be opposed for the same reason, they don't want their firms to listen in to them moaning about the firm! If you consider the lengths that certain firms have gone to, to get information out of certain websites don't think that this info won't be used in the wrong way.
            I should imagine that the FDR will show that the aircraft was behaving fine. The CVR will probably have recorded the various warning sounds of the flame outs and EGPWS warnings and little else.
            As for who did it. All the information to navigate and fly the 777 is out there on the internet. The flight sim community have programs (Some written by pilots) that replicate the 777 and it's FMC so it doesn't have to be one of the aircrew that did it, just someone in the flight deck.
            This is a very sad event and I, personally, don't think there will be a full explanation.

Rgds Cking

Comment

• charliehunt
              Nearly there!
              • Oct 2012

To some extent that is understandable, although the thought of disaffected crew up front is not encouraging, but there can be no objection to transmission of FDR, I would have thought.
              Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

• Mondariz
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2007

You could record and stream every bit of flight data and crew conversation; if the conditions are wrong it will be worthless. The current regulation helps solve the wast majority of aviation accidents and incidents. No matter what you do there will always be that unthinkable situation that's outside the parameters. The thoughts should be about preventing accidents not random implementation of systems for the extreme situations where current data recording systems fail - it would never end.

Comment

• charliehunt
                  Nearly there!
                  • Oct 2012

But that's not the thought is it? If it were feasible it would then obviate the necessity for the "black box" to be physically retrieved every time, before full analysis of any accident could take place. And none of this takes away from the priority towards accident prevention which goes without saying anyway. There is no connection between the two.
                  Charlie

Comment

• Mondariz
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2007

And when a 'live link' system fails? Carrier pigeons?

I'm not saying there is no room for improvement. I'm saying you can't predict and provide your way out of everything. In the case of MH370, comms seems to have been down and a 'live link' likely wouldn't have helped the investigation much. So now you need two systems. The new live one, and the old one for when the live system fails.

Comment

• John Green
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Mar 2011

One small, but perhaps vital point comes to mind. During the 9/11 attacks in America many of the passengers managed to talk via their cell (mobile) phones to relatives and loved ones. That way, the 9/11 passengers got to know what was going on. Although the two incidents are dissimilar, is there any reason why passenger calls could not have been made during this particular incident?

If calls were made, where are the records of the calls? I understand that over the ocean cell stations are few and far between but, perhaps the aircraft was satellite enabled thus obviating the need for terrestrial stations.

I can't believe that not one of the 239 passengers on board did not feel the need to make a mobile phone call or receive one at any point during the period of the flight. If any calls were made and recorded, this might throw some light onto what was actually going on in the aircraft.
                      Last edited by John Green; 26th March 2014, 17:49.

Comment

• Alpha Bravo
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by charliehunt View Post
                        Apologies, AB, I hadn't remembered your earlier post. Nevertheless it is interesting that it has not received a response from any of the knowledgeable members here.
                        Oh no probs Charlie, I wasn't having a moan or anything, just found it interesting that I wasn't the only one asking the very same detailed question. I guess there may be technical reasons why this isn't feasible, and as other posters have mentioned, there is always the possibility of the "live link" being lost, so it would require both "traditional" and "live" systems. But I saw an interesting interview with the head of Inmarsat, who have been vital for this incident, and he was saying that the technology is currently in place to transmit live GPS location data from aircraft for as little as <1$ per hour. I think overlapping systems would be useful, just thinking of the major aviation incidents in modern history, imagine if we had such systems in place during 9/11, Air France and MH 370?

Comment

• charliehunt
                          Nearly there!
                          • Oct 2012

Indeed and I wouldn't suggest doing without the current system.

That's extremely interesting - I'll look for a link to that interview.
                          Charlie

Comment

• Alpha Bravo
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2012

Here you go, it was a BBC News interview with Inmarsat's senior vice president for external affairs, Chris McLaughlin. Towards the end of the interview he discusses what could be in place and at what cost. But it's amazing how they could determine the approx location of the aircraft using a system that wasn't really meant to be used that way. Imagine what could be done with a specific system designed for this purpose?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26723980
                            Last edited by Deano; 27th March 2014, 10:59. Reason: COC RULE 14

Comment

• charliehunt
                              Nearly there!
                              • Oct 2012

Thanks AB.
                              Charlie

Comment

• 27vet
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Nov 2009

An insight into how Inmarsat calculated the final position of the missing aircraft.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nmarsat-expert

IMHO should be even more frequently, AND real-time uploading of FDR and CVR data.
                                sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• charliehunt
                                  Nearly there!
                                  • Oct 2012

I read this earlier today:

"As the search continued, a multimillion-dollar lawsuit was initiated in the United States against Malaysia Airlines and Boeing. A firm representing families of the passengers filed a petition of discovery in Illinois, requiring the companies to produce evidence of possible flaws in the crashed Boeing 777. “We believe that both defendants named are responsible for the disaster of Flight MH370,” said Monica Kelly, the lead lawyer."

She is obviously privy to evidence as yet unavailable to any of those involved in searching for wreckage or investigating the circumstances of the incident!!
                                  Charlie

Comment

• Bmused55
                                    Aaahh Emu!
                                    • Oct 2003

That just basically translates to: "A plane crashed, we can makes lots of money as our legal system is a joke"
                                    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
                                    My Designs

Comment

• charliehunt
                                      Nearly there!
                                      • Oct 2012

Quite!!
                                      Charlie

Comment

• nJayM
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jun 2008

Hi Sandy

Touche. Even better when you take out the word "legal" in your post #338.

The UK is following closely behind with all the lucrative overseas fees paid by rich American kids to prestigious business schools in UK.
                                        Following graduating with their MBAs and staying here to fuel the legal system in the UK and satisfy their own personal greed at the expense of UK businesses. e.g. >45,000.00 per year in some schools like LBS
                                        Last edited by nJayM; 27th March 2014, 13:56. Reason: Typos
                                        Jay

Comment

• Bombgone
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2013

Over the last couple of weeks according to the media Satellite's have reported to have picked up images of floating objects. So far, as I understand the images cannot be identified. Seems odd that they could apparently read a car number plate from about 300 miles up in space some 30 years ago.
                                          Bomb Gone Skipper sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X