Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing Malaysian Airlines B777

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 27vet
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2009

The bad weather is a bummer, if there is any debris it could be scattered far and wide by the time the weather improves.
    sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• Cking
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2004

Too late, I think. I read up about the Southern Ocean, It doesn't sound the best place for a land lubber like me! I think the Aussies have done the right thing in calling it off, no use risking peoples lives now. I pity the poor sods stuck on the search vessels down in it. Mind you, if they can't take a joke they shouldn't have joined!

Rgds Cking
      Last edited by Deano; 27th March 2014, 11:00. Reason: COC RULE 14

Comment

• 27vet
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2009

I agree, not worth risking any more lives. However, I would be quite happy to join in the search, it would be an honour.
        sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• 19kilo10
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Sep 2010

Has ANY debris been recovered that has been identified as belonging to the plane?

Comment

• me109g4
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2009

None whatsoever,,

Comment

• Confucius says
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Apr 2011

And that's just for floating debris... I'm starting to wonder whether the black boxes will ever be recovered.

Comment

• Bmused55
                Aaahh Emu!
                • Oct 2003

Such a tragic situation.

Here we have a missing, presumed crashed aircraft with 239 people aboard.

All the media can think about is defaming the Captain and assassinating the character of the co-pilot. I really wish the media could be held accountable for the utter crap they spout if evidence comes to light that they were wrong.

To be brutally honest however, a hijack, either by one of the crew or a passenger seems to be the only thing that can account for the loss of communications, the transponder not transmitting (most likely set to Stand by) and the course changes.

Still, I see no sense in impugning the reputation of anyone on board until more is know, if ever it is.

On another note. This is the most active thread I have seen here in years.
                Kind of reminds me of the "good" old days, where discussion and threads going 5 to 10 pages deep were the norm!
                Last edited by Bmused55; 26th March 2014, 09:11.
                Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
                My Designs

Comment

• Bmused55
                  Aaahh Emu!
                  • Oct 2003

Leave it to Americans to smell an opportunity for money:

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/C...252319681.html

Chicago (ABC) -- The father of a passenger on the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has begun a multi-million dollar litigation process against the airline and plane manufacturer in the United States, an aviation law firm said today.

A petition for discovery filed today in Circuit Court of Cook County, Ill., names Malaysia Airlines and Boeing, the manufacturer of the missing 777 airplane, as the initial defendants, Monica Kelly, head of Global Aviation Litigation at Ribbeck Law, told ABC News. The law firm is based in Chicago.
                  Bmused55

My Blog
                  My Designs

Comment

• charliehunt
                    Nearly there!
                    • Oct 2012

It's not only the media guilty of fruitless and aggressive speculation!!

And your #309 comes as no surprise whatsoever. And although the relatives have not been treated well, what good is screaming protest going to do. No one knows much and everyone is trying to determine where, why and how. Until they have there is little to be achieved.
                    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

• Newforest
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bmused55 View Post
                      Such a tragic situation.

On another note. This is the most active thread I have seen here in years.
                      Kind of reminds me of the "good" old days, where discussion and threads going 5 to 10 pages deep were the norm!
                      Good for us, but small cheese compared to another forum with over 8000 posts and 12,000,000 views!
                      http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

• Moggy C
                        • Jan 2000

I haven't read back through this thread, but am now aware that all the nut-jobs are coming out of the woodwork with the most fabulous conspiracies involving flying the aircraft to Diego Garcia, turning it into a nuclear bomb and flying it to America - and anyway we should have known this as we were warned in the TV programme 'Lost' and also key employees of a semiconducter company were on board so now the company can be solely owned by Zionists, Bilderburg, ARM or The Smurfs or some-such.

If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.

Moggy
                        "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Mar 2010

One story from the weekend which I haven't seen mentioned here: Chinese plane lands at wrong airport in Australia

http://www.firstpost.com/world/mh370...a-1445597.html
                          Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• Alpha Bravo
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bmused55 View Post
                            Such a tragic situation.
                            To be brutally honest however, a hijack, either by one of the crew or a passenger seems to be the only thing that can account for the loss of communications, the transponder not transmitting (most likely set to Stand by) and the course changes.
                            I was thinking along similar lines. The fact that it headed south made me think that it could have been due to someone seeking political asylum in Australia, but obviously things went catastrophically wrong somewhere along the way.

It's difficult to imagine any other scenario, what could have incapacitated both pilots and yet kept the aircraft flying for so long? Could the pilots have programmed the 2-3 changes in course directions before being incapacitated? If so, why didn't they get a chance to get off some form of signal at least? If they were incapacitated, I shudder to think what was going on in the aircraft for all those hours without anyone at the helm. Would the rest of the crew known what to do? Could the flight attendants have managed to send some signal or programme a different course? Just endless questions and a heart breaking tragedy in our modern age. I guess we should never take things for granted, every time I think about all the long distance flights, the many millions of passengers in the air every year, it's still a miracle something like this doesn't happen more frequently.

Comment

• charliehunt
                              Nearly there!
                              • Oct 2012

A letter in today's paper raised a question I have asking myself for the last few days, but for which there may be a perfectly reasonable answer. Why cannot the flight recorder information be continuously transmitted to ground stations during the flight? There would then be a real time record of the flight obviating the necessity for physical retrieval after an accident.
                              Charlie

Comment

• Alpha Bravo
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Mar 2012

I've asked the very same questions way back in this thread. It seems inconceivable with all the tech at our disposal why this can't be done. It would immensely ease the finding of any downed aircraft, and give an immediate indication of what occurred in the cockpit. The fact that current FDRs only have enough memory to store 2 hours worth of data appears to be quite limited in this scenario. Compressing the data and sending via satellite should be achievable, considering the other data streams that already appear to be in place.

Comment

• charliehunt
                                  Nearly there!
                                  • Oct 2012

Apologies, AB, I hadn't remembered your earlier post. Nevertheless it is interesting that it has not received a response from any of the knowledgeable members here.
                                  Last edited by Deano; 27th March 2014, 11:01. Reason: COC RULE 14
                                  Charlie

Comment

• Moggy C
                                    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                                    ... current FDRs only have enough memory to store 2 hours worth of data ...
                                    Not my area of expertise, but wasn't the "two hours" in reference to the CVR, not the FDR?

Moggy
                                    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Primate
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2000

Some of these tech questions have been briefly addressed by some seemingly knowledgeable people over at PPRuNe. Issues such as general lag in aviation, testing requirements, airline industry opposition (due to increased costs etc.), increased complexity, introduction of possible threats (i.e. batteries) and so on have been raised.

If e.g. ICAO decides to pursue this further, perhaps a broad approach including relevant experts and stakeholders who can examine and discuss different aspects of this could be something.

Comment

• charliehunt
                                        Nearly there!
                                        • Oct 2012

I don't subscribe to that forum, so do the objections appear to be objections because the various parties involved are reluctant to change to something arguably better or do they seem to be justified practical problems in enabling the information to be transmitted. For example I wonder what the increased costs would be for. Batteries - the power source would be exactly what it is now, wouldn't it? I am sure that before implementation there will be countless meetings and conventions to agree it all so no doubt very many years away even if it was under consideration.
                                        Charlie

Comment

• Bmused55
                                          Aaahh Emu!
                                          • Oct 2003

Interesting!!

Suspicious object washes up on Baarah beach
                                          http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54153

Looks remarkably similar to a fire bottle, as installed on a 772ER!

I had a link to a picture of one, but the image has been taken down.

EDIT:

Highly unlikely to be a fire bottle. It lacks mounting brackets and appears to only have one "Fill/exit" port.

http://vnews-assets.s3-website-us-ea...dium_29224.jpg
                                          Last edited by Bmused55; 26th March 2014, 14:38.
                                          Bmused55

My Blog
                                          My Designs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X