Heathrow 787 fire - July 2013

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Breaking news from BBC World that the airport is closed due to an 'incident' involving an Ethiopian aircraft. No further details available yet.

Original post

Member for

11 years 9 months

Flightradar24 is reporting a 787 fire at LHR, no other news as of yet.

From the looks from Twitter, it doesn't actually look like the aircraft is on one of the runways. But because it's using the fire service the airport can now no longer take arrivals or departures.
https://twitter.com/apd1988/status/355719615151759360/photo/1

Member for

13 years 7 months

oh dear surely not the Dreamliner again ? (sorry Matt just beat me to it)

Member for

19 years

Twitter saying that it is a 787 aircraft on fire.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Confirmed Ethiopian 787, there's footage of the Dreamliner surrounded by fire engines and bathing in foam at SkyNews.

Here we go again...

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/et_zps98964653.jpg

Member for

18 years 1 month

Maybe unrelated but Thomson 787 G-TUIC is returning to MAN after being advised to hold over the Irish sea past 2 hours

Member for

14 years 7 months

Aircraft was parked on a remote stand by the fire station. Nobody was on board which is good. Got to feel sorry for Boeing mind...

Joe

Member for

11 years 9 months

Markets aren't responding well :(

http://www.google.com/finance?cid=661224

But let's try not to jump to conclusions, there are many things other than battery's that can cause fires... If it is the battery, is there a chance Boeing will scrap Lith Ion?

Member for

16 years 1 month

One certainly has. A colleague of mine took a flight last week on the Norwegian B787 and absolutely loved it.

A little early to draw any definite conclusions, but there is increasing evidence that the aircraft is simply unsafe.

Member for

11 years 9 months

Looks like the first aircraft (a Lufthansa A320 LH3384) is just about to land on 09L. Airport reopened?

Apparently there are extensive scorch marks visible from the outside of the aircraft on the top rear port side of the fuselage near the tail. So maybe it's not the battery?

https://twitter.com/FlyingFear/status/355732187951267841/photo/1

Member for

13 years 7 months

Maybe unrelated but Thomson 787 G-TUIC is returning to MAN after being advised to hold over the Irish sea past 2 hours

Are you sure Scotty ? Just checked Flightdata24 and it's not flying but flew to Sanford from Manchester today.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Are you sure Scotty ? Just checked Flightdata24 and it's not flying but flew to Sanford from Manchester today.

Yup, was watching it on FR24 for half an hour..landed back at MAN about 25 mins ago... just been reported on BBC news too
LHR has definitely reopened now, STN , BHX, MAN and EDI seem to have taken some divs in (IBE A330 to BHX if anyone wants to know)

Member for

14 years 1 month

That might explain why there were a lot of aircraft in the hold over Southend earlier ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

At least, from the charred location, it doesn't look like the batteries are at fault this time...

Member for

16 years 11 months

Anyone got a link to a plan/drawing of the 787 that might show what is in that area of the aircraft?

Member for

20 years 2 months

I was watching the Thomson on FR24, it flew overhead here in Bolton, was louder than the normal whisper when they pass, on closer look all the main undercarriage was down, which is not the normal for Bolton as around 10,000ft. I think it may have suffered some hydraulic issue.

Member for

14 years 9 months

Anyone got a link to a plan/drawing of the 787 that might show what is in that area of the aircraft?

I've seen a couple of cutaways to indicate a crew rest is around that position.

Member for

20 years 6 months

A little early to draw any definite conclusions, but there is increasing evidence that the aircraft is simply unsafe.

Seriously?
Your beloved A380 has wings that are cracking and I've not heard you utter one thing about THAT being unsafe!
Are we really going to go into this Boeing bashing again?

So far what we know of this incident is:

- Fire no where near location of the once troublesome batteries. (Even so, the batteries are in a protective box with no air supply. Any smoke build up vents via pipe work to the outside. So far, no reports of seeing any smoke from these vents.)
- Fire damage appears to be limited to left hand side of the fuselage crown.
- Aircraft powered down (Batteries not in use)
- Ground personnel may have reported seen sparks from ceiling.
- Police are apparently involved, raising the question of sabotage/ deliberate act.
- ET 787s do not have crew rests in that area (According to folks in the know on A.net, so not 100% fireproof )

Member for

14 years 7 months

The problem is the more incidents, the more bad press, the more operators will start to doubt the aircraft, the more share price will drop.
If the problems persist it won't look good for Boeing.