ITV's "Airline" programme

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

Hi all

A memo went around work on Friday to say that ITV are re-showing the "Holiday Airline" programme featuring Monarch Airlines.
This was stopped after episode 3 due to the Sept 11th events.

It begins with episode 1 on 27th May at 8pm. Then they jump to episode 4 on their next broadcast.

Horrah!

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yippee,

Thanks for the information Wingflaps!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I loved that series - much better than EasyJet!! My Mum always said that she thought some of the "passengers" may even be actors, as so often when people "forgot" their passports, there would always be a camera crew at the "passenger's" home waiting to film someone collecting the "forgotten" passport, some are so obviously put up jobs, but worth watching none the less.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hmm... I'm sure that the majority are not paid and that their anger is genuine, particularly with easyJet.

I guess it's the aviation-related version of Jerry Springer with rumours suggesting that the people on it were actors.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Moondance
Having been involved (very much) at the periphery of one of these Airline series, what you are watching is not documentary, but (very much again) a docu-soap. The programmes are edited to create the story (and I do mean story) that the film makers want to tell. Incidents are used highly selectively, and edited together in an order that can bear little relation to what actually happened.
Furthermore, passengers were (allegedly) paid by the film-makers to do stupid things on camera.
Entertaining I am sure, but NOT a documentary.

i've always said since after the 2nd series on easyjet the programme has gone bland and lack entertainment value. Its the same pax argues with check in agent for 50% or airtime.

Bring back the good old BY days - one series with them was more entertaining than most of the easyjet sagas - perhaps a change of airline could be in order?

Member for

21 years 1 month

You,ve got to hand to any airline that gets themselves on the box for a 1/2 hour every week, I mean what would that cost in advertizing??:p

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well, easyJet are stupid to agree to the series if this is happening. Let's face it, most are put off by the unreliability or rudeness of the airline and it can't be doing them too good - but if they're still afloat, I guess it can't be having too greater effect.

But I agree entirely with the Britannia days of the programme. That was great and filmed under the same name, too. No problems with passengers and a great insight into how the airline operates, what their staff do etc. More educational than irritating. And we saw the old BY scheme in the programme opposed to the orange easyJet colour scheme.

Last time we spoke about the programme, I suggested that a new airline should be looked at. The days of easyJet are up!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by pierrepjc
You,ve got to hand to any airline that gets themselves on the box for a 1/2 hour every week, I mean what would that cost in advertizing??:p

Hardly positive advertising though. They have no good things about them on the programme - it's complaint after complaint. At least with real advertisements, the companies can brag about how good everything is.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have to say that having spent 20 or so years in the airline industry that I was glad to see these series come along as none of my non-aviation friends believed half of what I told them went on at these airports. My favourite (and I think most true to life series) is the BBCs "Airport" focused on LHR.

Member for

24 years 3 months

BBC's Airport is brilliant, totally agreed there. I think the BBC is a better station than ITV all round. ITV and it's programmes are low-budget, tacky productions.

Member for

24 years 3 months

EGNM

Remember this series is about Monarch - so a different airline it is indeed this time. Monarch seem to have a much better reputation than easyBunch - I hope that this is reflected in the remaining episodes!!

With the few episodes I watched, I'm still not a great fan of the show. I believe that my good friend Dawn (Manchester Ticket Desk Supervisor) features in episode 4 (or the second one to be broadcast this time round) - she may well liven things up!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

yea i think i've seem Holiday Airline before somewhere - not cert tho..

i have to agree that it is nice to see Monarch over Ezy, and also that airport is a lot better than Airline!