IC scraping A300s...finaly.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Saw them getting scrapped, was feelin like to go and help those guys, these machines were in pathetic conditions. Also noticed some historic pieces rotting in Mumbai, 3 DC 3s, India's first B737-300, operated by Damania Airlines rotting, Fokker 50 of East West airlines rotting, it was first private airlines in India. But the best one which i saw in Mumbai was an unknown Bristol Brittanica in flying condition.

Anyway, now IC will use A320s on there S.E.Asian routes, and these flights take upto 5 hours, i will not like to sit in a A320 for 5 damn hours, they got this idea from British Med. i think, which also operate medium long-haul with A320s.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Anyway, now IC will use A320s on there S.E.Asian routes, and these flights take upto 5 hours, i will not like to sit in a A320 for 5 damn hours, they got this idea from British Med. i think, which also operate medium long-haul with A320s.

Why?

The seat pitch and elbow room are the same/better than an A300 and the IFE is presumably better.

Member for

24 years 3 months

United routinely uses their A319/A320's on cross-country segments of around 5 hours. No different that flying a 757 on a similar route. I've flown LAX-IAD, EWR-SDG, etc. on them. They're just fine for me, as long as I'm sitting in the isle so I can go to the toilet.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Put it this way, I spent 12 hours in the upper deck of a 744 once. I think I would have preferred an A320.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would assume that was business class, wasn't it Mongu?

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, economy in a 3+3 configuration.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What airline was that?

Member for

24 years 3 months

South African

Flight was JNB-LHR

Member for

24 years 3 months

Do S. African still use the upper deck for economy class?

Member for

24 years 3 months

As far as I know, yes. Some planes have economy and some have business. Actually I would have thought biz class would be comfier in the main cabin, as upstairs isn't quite so roomy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm sure the UK charters use A320's on their longer segments such as Cyprus and I'm sure theres less seat pitch than with IC.

I've done 4 hours in an A320 and its a pretty normal flight, 3-3 as with a 757 and I don't see a problem.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've flown business on Singapore and Air New Zealand in the upstairs of a 744, and I thought it was plenty roomy in a 2 x 2 configuration. I especially like the storage bins right below the windows.

Member for

24 years 3 months

But the storage bins mean less room, unless you are in a window seat.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Less room for whom? the bins don't take away any space from the seats. They're just there. If they weren't there, there would be a gap between the seat and window, since the ceiling slopes in rather sharply.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, but at least a few inches are lost.

I liked it upstairs - I prefer small crowds to big ones I guess. I just felt a little claustrophobic and I attributed it to the storage bins. Maybe you're right about hardly and elbow room being lost - I was very tired for the whole flight and in a grumpy mood!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I concurr on the smaller crowds. I really like it upstairs. The seats are the same size as they are downstairs in the 7 abreast. Mind you, the business class (ultimo seats) in the SIA 777-200ER were slightly bigger and just a tad bit nicer (not to mention the 10 inch PTV's) than they were in the 744. I attribute that to a newer aircraft, as SIA's 777ER's are rather new. Oh yeah, didn't they trade in the A340's for those? :D