Ryanair's 'destination' policy...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

is it about to get a rap on the fingers?

This from today's Evening Times...

---------------------------------

THE budget airline Ryanair has axed the word Prestwick from internet adverts for flights to the Ayrshire airport.

The Irish carrier now refers to the airport simply as Glasgow in its bid to lure more passengers to its cut-price services.

But the move has angered Glasgow Airport bosses and sparked claims confused holidaymakers are turning up at the Abbotsinch terminals looking for Ryanair check-ins - which are 35 miles away in Prestwick.

Bemused travellers have then been forced to dash to Ayrshire by car or taxi to catch flights.

Today Irene Adams MP, whose Paisley North constituency includes Glasgow Airport, called the blunder misleading.

She said: "Ryanair should spell out to people exactly where they are flying to - and how far airports are from advertised destinations.

"They have airports like Oslo Torp that are miles from Oslo.

"Sometimes the bus or train journey takes longer than the flight."

A spokesman for BAA Scottish Airports, who own Glasgow Airport, said: "If Ryanair want to fly from Glasgow, they know where they can find us."

Ryanair has faced several raps from the advertising watchdog, ASA.

The Consumer Association has also slammed it for marketing Malmo, Sweden, as its route to Copenhagen, Denmark.

But the airline has brought a major economic boost to Ayrshire, which it has cheekily redubbed Ryanairshire.

Prestwick offers more direct international services than Glasgow, including new Ryanair flights to Barcelona and Stockholm.

And it advertises flights at prices as low as 50p from "Glasgow" to London Stansted.

Many passengers are foreigners on their way to Scotland for holidays.

A Ryanair spokesman said the airline had not deliberately set out to mislead people.

He said: "This is just an oversight. I can see how it could be confusing and will ask Dublin - Ryanair's HQ - to deal with it."

Anyone booking a flight through the Ryanair website is informed the flights are to Glasgow (Prestwick) but adverts preceeding the booking forms, simply say "Glasgow".

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I agree . Ryanair is just luring the customers.
A few examples here.

They fly to :

Paris : in fact lands in Beauvais Tille (80km North of Paris)
Barcelona : in fact ...... Gerona (100km north of Barcelona)
Brussels south (sic) ....... Charleroi ( almost on the French border)

etc ....

I can understand the strategy , but it sounds like an obvious strategy to mislead the customer. The cost of transfer once you land far away from your final destination reduce dramatticaly the appeal of the "low fare".

JetBlue has a similar "cheap airport" startegy. However , they don't claim they fly to LA. They fly to Long Beach.
But I don't want to compare JetBlue and Rynaair and JetBlue , it would be insulting for the US operator.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Originally posted by Hand87_5
JetBlue has a similar "cheap airport" startegy. However , they don't claim they fly to LA. They fly to Long Beach.
But I don't want to compare JetBlue and Rynaair and JetBlue , it would be insulting for the US operator.

Agreed on all counts.

There is nothing wrong at all with the smaller airport strategy - it also helps the airline's on-time performance due to less congestion, and makes the check in simpler for customers.

IMHO Ryanair are, however, misleading customers with their naming of airports. To the unitiated thers is no distinction between Frankfurt Hahn or Oslo Torp and London Heathrow, and they can easily arrive at one of the former expecting it to be the main airport for a major city.

Mike

Member for

24 years 3 months

Some"oversight" to confuse GLA with PIK! Nothing new in this, its typical Ryanair. I'd rather use a full service carrier anyday. And I do.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I am a regular Ryanair flyer but that doesn't necessarily make me an instant fan. I use them simply because they are cheap and they alone would have allowed me to travel abroad 11 times between January and June this year.

I can understand why people are miffed when things like this happen, I really can. However, as long as they are cheap, people will fly with them and be prepared to put up with their antics. Eventually, everyone will have had a bad Ryanair experience and then it won't be news any longer.

When flying Ryanair, I apply this philosophy - "If I expect nothing then I can't be disappointed!"

Given the choice, I'd much rather fly with easyJet (and I'd much rather fly from LTN than STN too!)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Micheal O'Leary needs to take a geography lesson ;)
I know there was something simliar over Flybe. and Bergamo, which is a couple of miles outside of Milan and with traffic, can take a rather long time. I guess it is a case of you get what you pay for.