777/a340

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I thought I would start a new thread because threads loose the plot eventually and I wanted to comment on mongu's thread regarding the point of the A340.

I have always been a rational person on here and there are undoubtedly many benefits and disbenefits of both the A340 and the 777.

However whilst reading through all the responses I was struck by the 777 beating the A340 with orders opinion. I have to say that YES, this would appear to be the case with regards to the current 200ER/300 models, but I have to question the likelyhood when it comes to the 200LR/300ER. The main reason for this has to be Boeing's single engine supplier choice.

ALL of the major operators of the 777 that Boeing would pitch the 200LR/300ER at are RR operators, and despite a few hiccups from time to time (as with most engines lets face it!) they do all seem to like and prefer this engine.

SO, for engine exclusitivity, Boeing decided to choose GE...clever?!

I think from an external view (ie. not from within any of the airlines) we would already see more orders for the newer 777 versions if Boeing had chosen the RR engines. Singapore Airlines for example has orders for the newer A340, but no newer 777s, and despite the fact that they are exchanging their A340-300s for 777s, they do not appear keen to do the same with the 777, depsite it having better range.

So my conclusion...well simply, lets hopoe Boeing do not make the same mistake again when selecting engines for their 7E7 programme, this time they need to listen to the airlines, not to their accountants, because without orders the engine manufacturer can contribute all they likle to the program, but it won't be a profit! With the 777, they may find out the hard way!

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

So is it better to have engine exclusivity as long as they are Trents, a la the A340-500/600, and not GE's?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't think so really, I mean you are not always going to please everyone, with the 7E7 you would undoubtedly upset some of the majors (particulalry US majors) if you had Trents only.

Personally I think that if a manufacturer wants to restrict the number of engines through exclusitivity deals (and therefore make money from the engine manufacturer) then they need to still offer two options.

It just happens to be that the exclusitivity on the 777 was the wrong option for the aircraft based on the target market airlines.