JAL in A350 negotiations

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 9 months

Reuters are reporting that JAL is seeking to order 20 new A350s to replace the aging 777s (and knowing the way the Japanese do business, this is most likely more than just a Sunday afternoon rumor).

If the order is ever finalized, and I have no reason to believe it won't, it would be a massive blow for Boeing. For the past couple of decades JAL has only ordered Boeing aircraft, they operated the A300 and MD-80 only after they merged with JAS.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the latest 787 issues which has cost the airline millions and damaged its global reputation through hundreds of flight cancellations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/24/jal-airbus-purchase-idUSL3N0CG01220130324

In other news, I hadn't realized just how incredible the JAL turnaround was. In the 2011-2012 financial year (a year after entering bankruptcy), JAL made a £1.5 billion net profit! Absolutely mind boggling good figures (far better than any European or American airline), Kazuo Inamori is an incredible CEO.

Original post

Member for

14 years

JAL wants to have aircraft from multiple manufacturers. It is good for business not to rely on one manufacturer.

I doubt it is anything to do with the 787, as it is said to replace early 777's and not A300/B767-sized aircraft.

Member for

24 years 3 months

If true, this is indeed good news for AI and the A350.

Member for

16 years

Good to see he is backing up his earlier statements on this. I also found it interesting that ANA are asking for cash back on their order, rather than discounts on future deliveries, any thoughts they are going Airbus's way too?