Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin to buy Concorde

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brenmcc1
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2003

Virgin to buy Concorde

all in favour?
    Yes
    82.98%
    No
    14.89%
    Dont care
    2.13%
  • brenmcc1
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2003

wow 3 votes in a min gotta be a record

Comment

• kurmitz28
      • Apr 2003

If BA dont want them and lose money, Branson will turn them around

Comment

• A330Crazy
        Computer says no....
        • Jan 2000

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on own up.... who voted NO? Cos your out done, 14 to 1! lol
        Andrew

Comment

• MSR777
          No longer active member.
          • Jan 2000

Come on Sir Richard, give it your best shot!!!
          "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Comment

• Duesseldwarf
            Professional Day-tripper
            • Jan 2000

That result seems to speak for itself!! Who is the BA hugger that said no??!!??
            [SIZE=1]Fly ZB - www.flymonarch.com
            AGP-ABZ/BLK
            BHX-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/IBZ/LEI/MAH/MJV/PMI/TFS
            LGW-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GRX/LIS/TFS
            LTN-ACE/AGP/ALC/FAO/GIB/IBZ/LEI/LPA/PMI/MAH/TFS
            MAN-ACE/AGP/ALC/BCN/FAO/LEI/MAH/PMI/TFS/XRY

Comment

• kev35
              Terminally Bewildered
              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Duesseldwarf
              That result seems to speak for itself!! Who is the BA hugger that said no??!!??
              I'm one of those who voted no. I have no preference for BA over Virgin or vice versa. I just feel that Concorde is rapidly nearing the end of its life. It is outdated, uneconomical in terms of operation or maintenance. Following the Paris crash BA didn't carry out the repair programme on all the aircraft. The reasons are sheer expense of the remedial work required and the knowledge that the airframes would be underutilised.

Finally, I really fear another accident is likely to befall this type. Virgin have an excellent safety record. A disaster would undo all the benefits that the airline may gain from the operation of Concorde.

Regards,

kev35
              The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

Comment

• Comet
                Belgian Beer Expert
                • Jan 2000

I agree with Kev - I voted "no". The fact that pieces regularly fall off Concorde, that it regularly has to make emergency landings indicate to me that it was time it was retired. No airline should be allowed to operate a type that is literally dropping to bits, and if the type was kept in service then I am sure that it would only be a matter of time before there was another crash.
                If you look at the statistics, Concorde has a relatively poor safety record. There was only a small number in service, one has crashed and it has relatively few flying hours compared to some types. On the other hand there may be hundreds of aircraft of other types (say the 777 for example) which have never crashed and therefore have a better safety record than the Concorde.
                2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
                Louise

Comment

• Hand87_5
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2000

Is it Concorde's monopoly to experience this kind of incidents or does Concorde just receive a bit more " publicity" ?

Comment

• brenmcc1
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Apr 2003

Well its all down to airbus as they maintain the aircraft and they would get the blame for a crash.

Comment

• T5
                      T5
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000

I was reading the June 2003 Airliner World which I received today in the post and it said that British Airways have arranged for their aircraft to go to museums on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. How can British Airways give some of their aircraft to the United States for museums but not to a British airline? Concorde is not American, why should they get any of the aircraft at all?
                      Michael

Comment

• mongu
                        Director
                        • Jan 2000

Especially as the Americans have such a burning hatred of Concorde!
                        Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• dcfly
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000

I also said "no", I agree with you Kev the aircraft is old with high running and maintenance costs . Time to bow out gracefully, its had a good life with only one major accident now its time to put it out to grass, come on ! its hardly 21st century technology is it, still uses a Flight Engineer ? how quaint.

Dave
                          I'm not young enough to know everything!!!

Comment

• Whiskey Delta
                            Vote for Pedro
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by mongu
                            Especially as the Americans have such a burning hatred of Concorde!
                            I wouldn't necessarily say that.

Comment

• greekdude1
                              • Jan 2000

I will echo Whiskey Delta's sentiments. I think most Americans couldn't give 2 $hits about that financial bust of an aircraft, myself included, which is not to say they like or dislike it. As far as 'donating' one to the U.S. for display, what's the big deal? Which airport worldwide, most likely, saw the most Concorde movements? I believe that would have to be JFK. Last time I checked, JFK is on this side of the Atlantic, so it, theoretically, would be appropriate to put one on this side. If they decided not to 'donate' one to this side, I'm sure no one would shed a tear. I'm the one who voted, 'don't care.' As much as I favor Virgin over BA, am a fan of Sir Richard, and would love to see him stick it to BA; I refuse to get caught up in this hoopla. So many other great airliners have flown off into the sunset with a lot less fanfare than this.

Comment

• atc pal
                                Safe Orderly Expeditious
                                • Apr 2003

Comet
                                I think you are unfair to Concorde. After all it was a bit dropped from another aircraft, that caused the crash.

atc pal

the great hockey country Denmark
                                If everything is as clear as a bell, and everything is going exactly as planned, you're about to be surprised.

Comment

• kev35
                                  Terminally Bewildered
                                  • Jan 2000

atcpal.

I think Comet was referring to the number of times the aircraft has shed various appendages, such as sections of rudder.

Regards,

kev35
                                  The Forums only '"blithering anorak" as endorsed by ZRX61

Comment

• atc pal
                                    Safe Orderly Expeditious
                                    • Apr 2003

No, of course I wouldn't like to have things dropping from on high.
                                    Even if it was from Concorde.

My point was: Things drop from other a/c than Concorde.

regards

atc pal
                                    If everything is as clear as a bell, and everything is going exactly as planned, you're about to be surprised.

Comment

• mongu
                                      Director
                                      • Jan 2000

I echo the comments about question marks over the commercial viability of Concorde. However it is rather unique and as such the usual rules of supply and demand should be disapplied; that is to say I am not convinced that the price elasticity for Concorde tickets is quite like that for any other type.

AF and BA clearly think otherwise but VS disagree; however the final conclusion of AF and BA is not entirely based on a profit mazimising approach. To say that Concorde is a financial white elephant as some of you suggest is a little wide of the mark at this point. Let's see if VS can turn a profit on it first.

As for saying the Americans disliked it - well perhaps my rhetoric was a little overblown - disapprove of maybe, rather than dislike - but I do remember lots of public protests in NYC about Concorde, and the application of political pressure to have it banned from US airspace.

Finally, as ATCPAL says, there is no evidence to suggest Concorde has bits falling off to any greater or lesser extent than other aircraft. I can imagine the media overhyping anything to do with Concorde: "Supersonic jet unhygenic: Toilet was blocked says editor" in NY Times parlance!
                                      Last edited by mongu; 12th May 2003, 20:30.
                                      Skiaynin Vannin

Comment

• greekdude1
                                        • Jan 2000

All logical arguments, Mongu. I can live with that.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X