First spotting visit to GLA for years

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's been nearly 20 years since I went to Glasgow Airport purely in the interest of looking at planes, Of course I've been many times as a traveller but today I took a look round some of my old spotting haunts and was a little disappointed to say the least.

The views of the main domestic apron from the terminal are still as limited as they always were, but then I expected that. The construction of the new (ish) international terminal has wiped out several of the favoured spotting areas of old, namely the two level NCP car park roof and the old and massive staff car park which is now where Wysiwyg might find himself making his final left turn before powering down after a long flight.

Over at the Loganair hangar, the spotters car park for taxi-ing photo opprtunites close up, has been fenced off and converted into the new and smaller Loganair maintenance hangar.

Venturing beyond this new facility brought me into a vacant plot of land filled with portacabins belonging to a building contractor working on the latest airport improvements. A nice spot and good for pictures but I was soon chased by security after only a few mins minding my own business.

I decided that the best photo and spotting places are now no longer within the airport itself and are at either ends of the main runway in public areas at Linwood and Inchinnan respectively.

A shame really as it used to have so many cracking little nooks and crannies for spotters and photographers to get some good stuff from. Here's a few pics from various spots around and outside the airport

Tomorrow Prestwick...

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

KLM-UK on final approach from Inchinnan Bridge...

Member for

24 years 2 months

BA ATP from the same spot...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thomas Cook still showing some allegiance to his nephew...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Fly Be arriving at domestic terminal viewed from the terminal concourse.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some good pics Ren! Glad you had a good day, and I hope you have another tomorrow.

Cheers for the write up. :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

The new Loganair hangar with the guys working on a Saab...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Like in this one...

Member for

24 years 2 months

The business aviation and cargo ops end of the airport is probably the most accessible although you still need to shoot through holes in the fence to get pictures...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice.....

Member for

24 years 2 months

20 years ago an Air Atlantique DC-3 commonly occupied this spot ! (sniff)

Member for

24 years 2 months

some excellent pics there Ren - i esp like the ATP - sometimes she can be very photogenic

Member for

24 years 2 months

A Brittania/TUI 757 standing where I used to stand in the old staff car park. Lens poked through a hole in the fence.

Member for

24 years 2 months

And finally I think this will become a favoured spot, sitting on the ancient and historic Inchinnan bridge overlooking peaceful fields and the River Cart near where it meets the Clyde and great for uninterrupted views of inbound aircraft to runway 23 !

Think I'll take some Werthers Originals the next time...

Member for

24 years 2 months

A great selection of photos there Ren! Such a selection of airlines and aircraft.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Love that BMi c/s! :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ren, was that TCX 757 G-JMCF last Sunday evening? If so it was me that brought it in from Keffalinia.

Member for

24 years 2 months

i dont think so Wys - he went yest - PIK today...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Had never heard of Highland Airways until very recently and after seeing their website address plastered on rear of the fuselage, I couldn't bear not to take a look.

A limited selection of flights are available with the airline and at incredibly high prices too with distances of no more than 60nm being charged at £120 return!

Member for

24 years 2 months

When I went to GLA last summer we stood at the last emergency gate towards the end of runway 23. It was good and there was a wooden palet there so we stood over the fence to get photos!

Next time steps will be neded bys tanding on the crate didnt get anything done to us as the fire bridge (airport) and a police landrover and tractors all went past and we got waves from Air Canada pilots and a AA 767 pilot :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Wys

G-JMCF it was and as EGNM says, I was at GLA on Tuesday. Don't know where the TCX flight arrived from but it was at around 4pm.